Author Topic: Honda Brings Back Africa Twin.....FINALLY!  (Read 13058 times)

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Honda Brings Back Africa Twin.....FINALLY!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 07:45:33 AM »
This morning I got an E-mail from across that pond that surmised the weight could be 180 kg (396 lbs)!  Is this the same company I worked for?   :D

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »
This morning I got an E-mail from across that pond that surmised the weight could be 180 kg (396 lbs)!  Is this the same company I worked for?   :D
I'm guessing the parallel twin is a LOT lighter than the 52 deg V-twin of the earlier efforts.  That motor was built like a tank but it was kind of hefty.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
WhaHOOO! That is fantastic!
BTW... that is funny. "Is this the same company I worked for?" 

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
Actually, I think Honda was early for the dance and left before the fun began. Arguably the TransAlp, which was released in the USA in 1987, was the first "adventure" bike available here. It took a long time for our market to turn its interest to this type of motorcycle. I think that if Honda had continued to refine the Transalp using the more modern 4 valve heads and EFI that the Deuville eventually got it would have remained a low volume but steady seller. It would also have positioned them at the forefront of the adventure bike movement. The TransAlp design is somewhat long in the tooth now but personally I think it's still one of the best of the genre.

Sadly Honda was once again following someone elses lead. BMW came out with the R80GS in 1980 and produced it for 7 years before moving up the displacement ladder. BMW, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki and KTM have all come out with new Adventure bikes since 2010 and finally Honda decides to produce something......seems everyone was already boogying to the music when Honda tapped the DJ on the shoulder to play the same song again....
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »
There was very little demand for an adventure bike in 1980 but 20 years later the handwriting was certainly on the wall.  The way I see it, the large adventure bikes have taken over both the sport and sport touring categories. 

The once solid 600cc sport category has essentially disappeared and sport touring never was to be honest.  I know a dealership in central OH that sells all 4 Japanese brand and last year he sold only 6 sport bikes! 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:24:03 PM by DirtFlier »

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:10 PM »
I'd like to say that a dealership in central Ohio SHOULD sell primarily cruisers while dealerships near mountain roads SHOULD sell primarily sporty and adventure bikes. In my way of thinking, you'd sell based on the availability of riding in your home area. Alas, I don't think that's the case.
As by brother-in-law has often said, sport touring is more a state of mind than a style of bike. The uptick of ADV bikes used for that purpose, virtually never seeing an unpaved road, certainly bears that out. Even a cruiser (think Honda CTXxxxx) can be ridden in an enthusiastic, ie sport touring, manner within the limitations of the particular model.

With all of that being said, I still find it a more comfortable seating position, and one giving me the impression of more control, to have my feet more underneath me than out in front.

The MSTA has certainly shown an acceptance for ADV, standard, and sport bikes being ridden in a sport touring manner. I hope we can add cruisers to that as well.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
Geoffrey, I think we already have people riding cruisers for sport touring in our club including two NE Ohio riders, you've probably seen John Ulizzi on his Shadow at Mail Pouch. Another goy on a Virago 1100 does a lot of day rides, and did a little touring on it for a few years.

I agree it is a state of minf, and you can tour on any bike, I did it for years on a CBR600.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650