Author Topic: Who Makes the Most Reliable Motorcycle?  (Read 24269 times)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
Re: Who Makes the Most Reliable Motorcycle?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
The brief article in Consumer Reports just covered brands and not specific models.

I know that. I was only referring to the R1200GS because it was mentioned by an owner in a previous post.

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 11:02:45 AM »
I just received my copy of consumer reports and glanced at that article. It is interesting that the Victory brand owners are the most satisfied with their choice. Also, it does not appear that the more expensive brands buy you any better reliability-just the opposite. Odd KTM was not mentioned. I also wonder how the new Indians will stack up....
Still, good to see Consumer Reportsd cover anything relating to motorcycles....

East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

RandL

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
Wish I had a link to it but anyway I saw a survey on the inner Web for number of repairs.  YAMAHA was best, BMW and KTM worst.  Money can't buy reliability, but most repairs were minor stuff.

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
I really haven't paid much attention to the HP figures of bikes that I wasn't interested in, but this thread prompted me to take a look. In particular talking about the R1200GS and the Super Tenere. I have found that Motorcycle Consumer News can be trusted, mainly because they accept no advertising, so do not have to answer to anybody but their readers. While I may not always agree with their subjective opinions, I trust their measurements and specs.

So, in looking at the Super Tenere. They measured 91.3 at the rear wheel on the 2012 model and 99.5 on the 2014 model.

There have been several generations of R1200GS's tested, starting in 2004 when they measured 80.2. In 2008, they measured 94.0 and in 2010 and 2011, they got 94.99 on each. BMW took a big leap with the 2013 model when MCN measured 115.65.

While these figures are interesting and show that there may not be much difference in the 2 bikes, depending on the model year, as Brick stated, these peak HP numbers do not in themselves show the characteristics of where most of us ride out bikes, the low and midrange. I seldom ride WFO, and if I do it is only for a short time, preferring to enjoy midrange torque while riding my favorite twisties.

In this particular discussion, it would seem that if someone preferred the R1200GS, and HP is important to them, they should upgrade to the 2013 model or newer. OTOH, if whatever each of us rides pleases us and makes us smile, there is no need to justify that to anybody but yourself.

I ran across this comparo, which put the Tenere near the bottom of the heap.  I havnt had a chance to ride the ST, but, this doesnt give me much incentive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oIbu6q84D8

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
I'm not 20 years old anymore and they admit it is the least expensive of the group. Fits me just right!

I am out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

I ran across this comparo, which put the Tenere near the bottom of the heap.  I havnt had a chance to ride the ST, but, this doesnt give me much incentive!

An interesting video of people riding other people's bikes for a few days and not having to live with them for a long term. For me, that would eliminate the KTM's and Multi as the upkeep is cost prohibitive for me. I had one Duc and while it was fun, the frequent expensive maintenance checks prompted me to sell it shortly. I also rule out any chain driven bikes for long distance sport touring. Spoiled, I guess, but I've been riding a long time and know what my preferences are and I'm able to find what I want in this current selection of fine bikes.. Retirement is wonderful!

The Super Tens have shown a remarkable history of reliability according to the owners on the ADV and YST forums. While there have been a few problems reported they are few and far between and so far there have been no final drive failures.

I can understand their pointing out their feeling of lack of excitement with the first gen ST. A $200 reflash of the ECU really wakes up those bikes. The second generation, starting is 2014 is another matter. While I reflashed my 2012 ST, I feel that my 2014 doesn't need it. Almost 10% more HP and a more exciting character make that a wonderful engine for my tastes. Still not as exciting as the Multi, but that is a different type of bike, a sport bike with adv ergos.

They didn't try any off road, just said that several were just street bikes that they wouldn't take off road. We witnessed some ST riders doing amazing things off road at the ST rally in AR last Oct. While I have several real dirt bikes, I hadn't taken either ST off road until that rally when we did a bit of unpaved road and two track and it was amazing how well it handled and how the engine got traction. I have since upgraded the skid plate as I plan to do a lot more of those.

Thanks for posting that interesting video. I would say that if you are happy with your 2009 GS, you should not test ride a Super Ten, especially a 2014 or 2015 ES model.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:05:24 PM by Paco Bulto »

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
Before we (and yes I say we) Yamaha owners get to smug from the report, I just got a factory recall on my brand new Yamaha Super Tenere.  :(  -JEP-

VersysRider

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:59 PM »
Before we (and yes I say we) Yamaha owners get to smug from the report, I just got a factory recall on my brand new Yamaha Super Tenere.  :(  -JEP-
What was the recall for? My 2012 had a recall about a year ago for the headlight wiring harness. It was no big deal to get it done, I think it took them 20 minutes to replace.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 07:05:46 AM »
The "shift shaft assembly" needs replacement due to a design defect per the Yamaha recall letter.
The recall applies to the 2015 FJ09, FZ09, FZ6, R6 & Super Tenere.  -JEP-

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »

Thanks! Good feedback.  I would agree on your chain comment, and wonder why the new KTM 1290 Adventure is chain driven!  Only advantage I see is the ability to change the final gear ratio, if desired.
Otherwise that bike sounds awesome.  Regarding the GS, I LOVE the way the telelever suspension keeps its composure in the twisties, and would pay more for that feature alone.  I test rode the new 1200 Adventure the other day and was pretty impressed.   Was I $23k impressed?  Probably not.   If there was not a BMW dealer just 2 miles from my house, I'd probably not have one.  But she has been a wonderful machine for 46k miles, and handles incredibly.  There's a reason the GS is one of the top selling bikes on the planet.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
Jim,
That's only for certain 2015 Tenere'... right!?!?

The "shift shaft assembly" needs replacement due to a design defect per the Yamaha recall letter.
The recall applies to the 2015 FJ09, FZ09, FZ6, R6 & Super Tenere.  -JEP-

I am out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »

What kind of gas mileage have you guys been seeing on your Super Tenere's???   I do about 43 average on the GS...and I use a lot of right wrist.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
I typically get 45 to 47 with lots of right wrist. I have seen 51 on a tour.

What kind of gas mileage have you guys been seeing on your Super Tenere's???   I do about 43 average on the GS...and I use a lot of right wrist.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

VersysRider

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
I'm getting about 44mpg 2-up, 47mpg when by myself.

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
I usually get around 50 mpg......but I am a smooooooth rider.... ;)
That and I ride in touring mode instead of sport mode.....  ;D
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"