Author Topic: Update: Richard Ziomkowski  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Update: Richard Ziomkowski
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
I got this in an email from Dan Thomas. Richard suffered a stroke sometime ago. It’s such a tragic event. I can only send my best wishes for his recovery!  He loves to get cards and letters. Here is his address.

Ediz View Rd
Port Angeles WA 98363

Brick

Subject: My visit with Rich Ziomkowski

Short version first, Rich is walking.....slowly. He has very minimal use of his right hand. To my great surprise, he has begun to speak. More details will follow.

Yvonne and Rich are still bunking with their son Mike in Bothell. Deb and I have been house sitting near North Bend for the past week. While here, I  contacted Yvonne to arrange a visit. Deb and I arrived to find Rich seated outdoors on a sunny day. He stood up to greet us. We intended to stay for an hour or so.....it turned out to be three hours. We had a grand time.

Now for those details. Rich's stroke left his right side paralyzed. His right leg has improved to the point he can get around without the use of a walker. His movements are quite slow & tentative, but hell, he's doing it! The short route from the downstairs apartment of Mike's house to the main living area requires him to navigate a staircase with ~12 steps. Again, he's doing it. Rich's right hand is another matter. For most of our visit, he simply held it with his left hand.

I did not expect to hear Rich speak at all and I gathered this is a fairly recent development. His words are few, but understandable when he concentrates. As he tires, his speech becomes more of a mumble. Sometimes he tries again. Sometimes we simply smiled at each other and moved on. He asked me about the paper mill and if I knew Dan had won a motorcycle. Gads.

I'm in no position to speculate on how far Rich's recovery will take him, but it is clear to me that he has not given up.

That's it friends. I hope this note finds you happy and well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
Re: Update: Richard Ziomkowski
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the update on Rich. We are wishing him the best possible recovery!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »
I don't know of this member but also wish for the best outcome possible. It's just goes to show ya......

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 03:10:47 PM »
Tom - Rich was Dan Thomas' buddy and once won the longest distance traveled to STAR because he lived a few blocks further away than Dan. 

Tosh