Author Topic: Forum Noob  (Read 8163 times)

bajakirch

Forum Noob
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
My first post on the site.
I learned about MSTA after reading the recent article in one of the big MC mags a couple of months ago. Seemed like an organization worth checking out. I'm a long-time forum junkie, so this place is right up my alley.
So, me. I've been riding for about 5 years, starting out on a 1983 Honda Nighthawk 550 that I acquired on an even trade for a rifle I wasn't using. That sparked the flame, and I've been on fire since then.
2 years ago I rewarded myself with a '98 Kawasaki Concours after I found a new, better-paying job. I tried to hold onto the NH, but the Mrs.wanted a boat. I ended up trading the Honda for an old fiberglass tri-hull. Still miss that bike.
Now that I have a bike better suited to it, I've really gotten into sport touring. Last year I did my first big (for me) multi-day trip, a solo circle tour around Lake Michigan. This summer, it'll be Lake Superior with a buddy.
I'm blessed to live on the edge of what I consider to be some of the best motorcycle riding in the Midwest -- the 'Alphabet Roads' of SW Wisconsin. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there soon.

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
Re: Forum Noob
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »
Welcome aboard.   ;D
I'm guessing you read the article in Rider's April issue. 
Lance did a great job and he really caught the essence of the club.
I'm the girl with the high mileage FZ1 and the pink jacket in the article.

We are gearing up for this years rally in Rapid City, SD. 
They have already got a bunch of great routes routed out so it's going to be another one to remember.

Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:11 PM »
Welcome....

You just missed the annual MSTA rally in your area...TwiSTAR.  From all accounts it was another good one. The article in Rider was well done and did give a pretty accurate picture of our club. However, it did not give a complete picture, in that it didn't mention all the REGIONAL rally's that we hold. For me, they are the essence of our club....the opportunities to ride great roads, with great people, in all parts of the country.  I hope you can make it to some our events this year and look forward to meeting you and seeing the Connie (I've got one too).

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:57 AM »
Welcome aboard. There are lots of people that have that same bug you caught on this site. You are going to feel right at home. Also a ditto to what Denise and Pat said. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
Another welcome. I'm know as the long winded poster on the site ;) Bolded what is my main point below.
Not sure what article you read or what it covered regarding MSTA, but one thing I like to point out to new people that find us via the forum, our club is much more than just the forum. As others have pointed out we have many regional rallies in various parts of the country. TwiSTAR in Wisconson, Mail Pouch in southern OH, many others in the SE us around the mountains (GA, NC, TN, etc) and so on. We have groups of members in many large popoulated areas and those local groups usually have some type of regular activity going on.
The best way to get the true flavor of the MSTA is to attend an event, whether that be our national rally (STAR) in Rapid City SD this year, or a regional one. Or a just for fun event, or local group activity. So look over the calendar and event lists on the site and find something near you and check us out. Many of the events that require club membership (most outside of "just for fun" and local stuff) offer free memership with the rally fee.
Also only a small minority of our club members are active participants on the forum at this time for various reasons. I know there's a pretty active group in Wisconsin, but sure how many are here on the forum.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

bajakirch

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I'd heard about TWiSTAR through some riders on another forum I belong to (either sport-touring.net or the COG site). Unfortunately, my schedule is such that it's often hard for me to attend group rides. But if I can, I will.