Author Topic: Fall Colors 2016  (Read 31526 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Fall Colors 2016
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
Hello everyone, I just talked to Jo McMahan this morning, and set up Fall Colors at the Quality Inn, Lewisburg for 2016. We will have the same meeting room, bike wash, etc. that we had last year. The room cost has gone up this year to $79.99, a $5 increase from last year. They've held on to the old $74.99 rate for the past several years, so I guess we're due for a small increase. They are ready to take reservations as of today at 304-645-7722, and I'd suggest you call prior to 3pm to make your reservation with Jo McMahan. I'm confident she'll handle your reservation without a screw up! THE DATES: This years Fall Colors official event will be from Friday, Sept. 30th to Sunday, Oct. 2nd. Of course I'll be arriving on Wed., and I expect quite a few early birds on Thursday the 29th.

Please give me some feedback on last years early bird dinner at Del Sol's. I have been very happy with them in previous years, but service last year wasn't up to par, especially at our table. Food and Friends is also an excellent restaurant, and they are right across the street from Del Sol. If the majority would like to try a new venue, we'll do that.

The FJR group enjoyed themselves last year, and they are coming back. They will be there the weekend before we are there, so there won't be an overlap this time. It really doesn't matter to me, as I thought everything went well last year. Please ask questions and express opinions, and I'll be happy to help when I can. Syd ;D
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Fall Colors 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
Looking forward to it. I think I can handle the $5 increase (split 2 ways) for a couple nights. That's still a great rate and they're good hosts.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
U can count Nate and I in for this. Hopefully no rain this year. Roads are great! People are interesting and of course the host is the best!
I'll have the CB 500 X Syd if U want to take her for a spin we can arrange that. Larry
Wardie

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:01:36 PM »
We are all set up registration for Fall Colors Ride, thanks to Doug Pippin and Harry Hemstreet. Fall Colors will be from September the 30th through October the 2nd at the Quality Inn in beautiful Lewisburg, WV.We have plenty of rooms blocked for MSTA'ers, and we will be the only motorcycle group in town. There will probably be a large group of Early Birds showing up on Thursday the 29th again this year. This years Thursday night dinner will take place across the street from the Del Sol, which was last years site. The new restaurant is Food and Friends. It's a little upscale from the Del Sol, but there are good menu choices for every appetite and budget. The menu may also be accessed on the web site, and they do have a full compliment of alcoholic and other beverages. They will seat us together in a separate area, where it'll be a little easier to talk.

We will have the bike wash, rags, conference room, etc. that we've enjoyed previously. A refrigerator in your room will cost an extra $10, so please let them know you want one when you make your reservation. You may print a registration form, or register online on Doug's website, and the hotel information is there also. I suggest you call between 8am and 3pm to make your reservations with Jo McMahan, and she is sure to get your information straight. You're welcome to give me a call if there's something you aren't sure of. New members who would like to ride with an experienced rider should mention this to me before the rally, and conversely I would like to know among the rally vets who might have an extra place in their group for a newbie. Riding preferences and experience are important factors to know about. Such questions as how far, how fast, pottie breaks, starting the day with a full tank of gas, are very important. Please be proactive, and use or purchase a Garmin GPS capable of uploading routes, and preferably waterproof.

I will also bring my corn hole game back. I tried in vain last year to spark some interest, but was shocked that most had never even heard of the game. All of us younger (choke) college game attendees have been having a good time with it for years! Google it, you'll like it! It's a great way to pass time after dinner, or when the weather isn't so good. I look forward to seeing YOU at Fall Colors! Syd :D
Touringman

Offline banjobart

• Forum Member II
    • Bart Reiter Banjo Co.
  • Lifetime Mileage: 275,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2013 Ninja 1000
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »
I have corn holing at my annual MSTA picnic, it is a big hit! I suppose during a riding event it may be less popular because most folks want BEER when they corn hole. Alcohol and mountain road riding do not mix.

(Just kidding around here).
2013 Ninja 1000, 2013 CB1100
2011 GSX1250, 2013 Super Tenere

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:27:26 AM »
You're right Bart, corn hole and beer do go very well together! We'd bring it out in the late afternoon-evening, hopefully after anyone has any visions of saddling up.  ;D
Touringman

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
Looking forward to it. I think I can handle the $5 increase (split 2 ways) for a couple nights. That's still a great rate and they're good hosts.

Hoping for good weather and looking forward to making it my second FCR. And that's a darn good rate, and they are great hosts.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:17:17 AM by RichGrab »
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »
I just booked my room two queens the rate is $89.99. I just reserved my room today using the code and they said that was the rate agreed to this year. Larry
Wardie

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
I also found the rate was $89.99 when I reserved a room last week. Oh well.... :)

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
I just booked my room two queens the rate is $89.99. I just reserved my room today using the code and they said that was the rate agreed to this year. Larry
I'm curious, did you call and speak with the contact given my Syd - namely Jo McMahan? Wondering because that's who Syd said to talk to. Hopefully it's not too late to get the good rate.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »
I spoke with the manager who said the contract spelled out $89.99 per room with two Queens and I think he said $84.99 with a single.

He said $79.99 was last years rate and this years  negotiated rate is $89.99.

He said if it were to change and go down we would get the lower rate. No matter, Syd puts on a nice event and its a good area to ride.

Larry
Wardie

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:45 AM »
Thanks War die, I'd ask for a little time to check this out. I suspect there has been a change in management since last year. I'll be on the phone with them this morning to try to figure things out. Jo McMahan sent a contract to me back in January with a price of $79.99 for the rooms. As has been our custom, this was agreed upon verbally, and neither party signed anything. Our word has been our bond. According to Wardie, Matt says he has a written contract at$89.99?? If so, I must be sleepwalking! I apologize for this, and I will get to the bottom of it. If Matt is being deceitful, this will be the last time I deal with them. We've moved before, and we can move again!!  Thanks for your patience, Syd
Touringman

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
As usual, thanks Syd. Let us know how it pans out. As for me and my riding buddy, don't think an extra $5/night each is gonna kill us. Have to bring more whiskey and spend less on beer,  :P
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
I really appreciate your attitude! The five dollars is only a portion of the problem here. I have not trusted this particular individual since he came to work at the QI, and I trust him even less now. I left word for him to call me early this morning, and hadn't heard anything, so I called the hotel again, and he answered. When I told him my name, he acted like we had a poor connection, and hung up. I called right back, and the girl at the desk said he had "stepped out for a moment" I told her that was Bull, and please have him call me ASAP. My problem Rich, is that I try to be up front with everyone, and I refuse to try to work with someone who is deceitful!

I know its probably too late for this year, but I've found a suitable site in Summersville, WV. How many of you guys are familiar with Summersville?  It's a great location, also close to several restaurants an shopping.  Just something to think about! Syd :)
Touringman

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »
Thanks again Syd. I know what you mean about deceitful people. Like you said, unlikely can do anything this year, but for next. Suggestion - call local (or corporate) office of QI and tell them about this individual and what they are doing. I am sure corporate would like to know if they have an employee who is deceitful or dishonest - especially in a management position. 

Summersville - pretty sure I've been through that area either at a MPFB, last year's FCR or another trip Steve and I took to the general area back in June last year - when neither of us could make it to STAR. I always like a new place to ride - and if it's down in that area, I know it'll be good roads and way better than anything I can find in Michigan.
2001 VFR800 fi