Author Topic: Football Pioneers (what does this have to do with bikin'?)  (Read 1864 times)

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Football Pioneers (what does this have to do with bikin'?)
« on: February 13, 2022, 07:40:08 AM »
On Saturday I was watching a national morning news broadcast. One subject to do with today's Super Bowl (GO BENGALS!) was the breaking of the color barrier that happened before baseball. To be brief when Paul Brown, founder of the Cleveland Browns 9early 40's) and later Cincy Bengals went against the other owners and hired 2 black players. One of whom was Bill Willis, father of our own Ohio member Clem Willis.  It was nice to see a shout out to a connection to one of our members.
I'm not sure how many of the 6 degrees of separation (of Kevin Bacon) this qualifies for but I thought I'd mention it. You can learn more at the Cleveland Browns Hall of Fame site.     TM

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Football Pioneers (what does this have to do with bikin'?)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »
That's very cool.

When I was a young kid, I considered history to be something I just had to get through in school. But as the years passed, something changed. Now I'd rather spend time in a museum, reading a good book about some historical event, etc. History has somehow become very neat. I think the change may have started when I was in undergraduate school. Music history had the potential to be pretty dry. But a pretty good professor made sure to relate each period in music to what was going on in the respective composers' country. Changes in style were related to what was going on politically, economically, and many other influences. History became a whole lot more relatable.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »
I knew that Clem had played ball, but I didn’t realize who his dad was.  That’s really cool.

WHO DEY!
not all that wander are lost

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 10:30:13 AM »
Very cool and interesting fact. Thanks for sharing and filling us in. And yes to Geoffrey - I too enjoy history. Now, for the game I sure hope Matt Stafford gets the win. He suffered with mediocrity in Detroit for so many years - and I did live in the greater Los Angeles area for about 30 years - so GO RAMS!!
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 03:53:13 PM »
That is so cool! Thanks for sharing that, Tom. I didn't even know that Clem played, much less about his father's history.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 06:11:55 PM »
I didn't mention that Clem played but I imagine he did. His Dad was a pioneer indeed. Paul Brown said at the time he wanted the best players he could find. I've always been interested in History. There is so much that happened for now that you can't possibly know or learn it all.But I do find much of it very interesting and a connection, sight as it might be helps make it fun.
Rich, I beg to differ with you but it IS still a free country. I'll agree to disagree so.......GO BENGALS!!!

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »
Hi, Tom,

Yes, it was Pat that mentioned that Clem also played.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 06:31:22 PM »
They also did a spot on Clem’s Dad on pre Super Bowl. Then they showed the family’s and there was Clem standing on the field waving to the crowd! -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 06:43:16 PM »
They also did a spot on Clem’s Dad on pre Super Bowl. Then they showed the family’s and there was Clem standing on the field waving to the crowd! -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I missed that!  Shucks!
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »
Yes, I remember talking with Clem about his Father. He is rightfully very proud of his Dad! I can't imagine it was easy for his Dad to step into football as racism was rampant back then. I'm so pleased that I didn't grow up with racism in my family.  I certainly have all the respect in the world for folks like Bill.  :trink39:

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 03:38:26 PM »
Big Browns fan here starting in the mid 80s when I moved to Cleveland. I remember talking with some of the Ohio group one year and they filled me on in Clem Willis and his dad. Not sure I ever talked much with Clem but did see him around at some events.

The Willis and Motley families were also honored by the Browns at their final home game of the season this year. When they introduced the Willis family members I was like "hey that guy is in the MSTA." Here is an article which shows the Willis and Motley family members that day in Cleveland, I am pretty sure that is Clem on the far right.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/family-members-of-bill-willis-marion-motley-elated-to-share-on-field-pregame-mom
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Online bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 01:23:09 PM »
Cool, thanks for posting that article, Steve. Yes, that is Clem on the right.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere