Ride Reports > Dual Sport Ride Reports

Adventure Touring on a Concours?

(1/6) > >>

NinjaBob:
As our club name suggests, I am a Sport Tourer, have owned and ridden Sport Touring motorcycles since 1982 when Honda produced the VF45 Sabre, the bike that started this club. I have met many many good fiends in the club over the years and have been regularly riding and touring with a small group of member/friends for about 15 or 20 years now. Initially we all rode Sport Touring or Standard bikes like the Honda STs, Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR. Over the last 10 years or so motorcycle touring has shifted away from Sport Touring to Dual Sport or Adventure bikes like the BMW GS. And our little group is no exception. I however have resisted and still prefer my Concours and BMW RT.

So when long time riding buddy Tony Crowell proposed an adventure tour through Colorado, Wyoming and Kansas this August I decided to go on my Concours. My plan was to plot alternate routes to avoid the unpaved sections in the event I found them unsuitable for the Concours (and my limited off road skills, lol).

Well, the trip went great until the last day and I have decided to tell the story.

Here is a screen capture and a link to a google map of my trip made from my Zumo track log.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1z_IGL7paw2CwW_54coJAfB2VerON7oc&usp=sharing

I will report the highlights and lowlights of our trip with some photos in my next posts.

NinjaBob:
Our core group of road trippers consists of three Louisiana members plus two Ex LA members now living in Houston and Northeast Oklahoma. This group had ridden togother this year to California in April and STAR at Cape Girardeau in June. For this August trip it would only be the two retired old farts as the working stiffs had used up their vacation time. The original plan was to meet at Woodward, OK to begin the group tour but since it was just the two Baton Rouge area guys, myself and Tony Crowell, we met instead at Mt. Pleasant, TX. Tony hates the heat and has big auxillary lights on his BMW R1250 GSA and usually departs well before dawn in summertime to beat the heat. So Tony had our motel room nice and cool when I arrived on my 2008 Concours 14. I have a cut down windshield on the Concours and get good wind flow to work with a cooling towel and find the August heat bearable.

We had a good meal at the nearby Applebees. The next morning Tony was well on his way to Woodward, OK when I arose to a nice Texas Sunrise.

NinjaBob:
Tony and I took different routes to Woodward. H echose to ride the Indian Nation Turnpike. The last time I rode the Turnpike I fould the frequest stops to pay tolls annoying plus I enjoy seeing the little country towns you apss through on the smaller highways. I rode up through Paris, TX to Antlers, OK and then hung a left on OH 3 which I would follow to Woodward except for a stint on 19 to bypass Oklahoma City. The old Concours 14 performed flawlessy. Tony and I had a nice meal at the Red Prairie Steakhouse.
I got a kck out of this sign at a vaping store:

Here is a nice picture of our bikes.

stevegrab:
Looking forward to....the rest of the story....

NinjaBob:
On Sunday the 15th Tony and I road 401 miles to our next destination, Colorado City, starting out by riding most of the OKlahoma Panhandle in a mean crosswind. My memory is hazy but I think we stopped for breakdast in Guymon, OK and then for a break at the Outpost in Kim, OK. Or maybe we had breakfast at the motel and lunch at the Outpost. Tony, if you read this feel free to correct me.

At Trinidad we went North on I-25 for 62 miles to our Days Inn in Colorado City. Colorado City is a small town I had never heard of and there is not much there and on Sunday most eating places were closed. But the Three Sisters Tavern & Grill was open and just across the road.

At Trinidad we went North on I-25 for 62 miles to our Days Inn in Colorado City. Colorado City is a small town I had never heard of and there is not much there and on Sunday most eating places were closed. But the Three Sisters Tavern was open and just across the road.
A cool place and a good meal!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version