Author Topic: 2 1998 Honda Super Hawks  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: 2 1998 Honda Super Hawks
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
Regarding the short distance between fill ups... Fred Ziglar used to say that it was ok because he was having so much fun on the Super Hawk he needed to stop to tell someone anyway!! I always loved that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 02:19:33 AM »
Super Hawk riding position at the time I rode one was fine, since I was riding a CBR600F4 at the, including many week or longer sport trouing trips. The one time I was riding and ran low on gas early it just sucked since we needed an extra stop, in touristy Big Sur CA, where it was really expensive (so I only added a gallon or so).
I've found gas to be most costly in California of all the lower 48 states. Alaska was more, but compared to Canada, Alaska was a bargain. As noted, getting gas in an expensive area of an expensive state can be painful to the wallet.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Super Hawk riding position at the time I rode one was fine, since I was riding a CBR600F4 at the, including many week or longer sport trouing trips. The one time I was riding and ran low on gas early it just sucked since we needed an extra stop, in touristy Big Sur CA, where it was really expensive (so I only added a gallon or so).
Yeah, well that was about 20 years and at least 20 pounds ago bro. I remember that ride to Laguna quite well.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
Yeah, well that was about 20 years and at least 20 pounds ago bro. I remember that ride to Laguna quite well.
Pretty close to 20, it was 2000 (my first time riding to Laguna not my first trip which was 1997), no doubt 20+ pounds and a much younger back.

The VFR still feels great to me, I know some who used to ride them (a couple on BMW GS) that find that riding position to be very painful now.

Wow this marks my 20th year as a rider, I know small number compared to some of the older and started in childhood folks.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Iguana Joe

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860K plus
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200RT
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
The only time I rode a VTR was at an MSTA event in Helen, GA when they first came out. Literally when they first came out. No one had ridden one and a club member from FL had picked his up in Jacksonville as they uncrated it, I believe it was the first one delivered to a customer in the Eastern US. Anyhow everybody had been looking at and questioning the guy about this bike all day while riding. We returned to the hotel, and this member wanted to ride some more and I agreed to go out with him. He let me run up and down the Richard Russell highway and parts of 180 I believe, on his bike with 600 miles on it...

I have a picture somewhere of myself on that bike in my Iguana Green leathers. Since the suspension was on factory settings, and nothing broken in on it, it was like riding a brick. That was my opinion at the time, and the capper was that I was calling the VTR uncomfortable, with cramped ergonomics, and was happy to get back on my ZX-7R to ride back to the hotel.  LOL

But it was a hoot to ride!
Iggy Joe
AMA lifer
MSTA 5409 (lifer) NC State Director, EC State Director Liaison
IBA, PGR, former COG, etc.

Never try to teach a pig to whistle, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.