Author Topic: Fall Colors 2015  (Read 38450 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Fall Colors 2015
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
I agree that having a GPS, and knowing how to use it, makes leading a ride much easier.  But, depending on it can also cause problems and/or lead to opportunities to ride new roads....:).  A lot of thst depends on how well its programmed and how adept one is at using it.  I speak from experience on both ends of thst spectrum....having used a GPS at TriStar and finally being able to ride the Indisn Valley route without missing any turns, and having had some problems with following routes a few other times at other rallies.  However, I blame most of thst on my own inexperience and lack of GPS "savvy".  But it's all good.....

"When you don't care where you're going.....any road will get you there."
The Indian Valley route - used to get lost on that one too before GPS. In fact it was following routes at events like Tri-STAR that had me looking to get a GPS. Even some state highways are much harder to navigate in southern states than at home in Ohio. But now I use it regularly as reading a map in my tank bag is hard without removing my glasses worn for distance.

Great discussion here by the way, agree with most of it. Even within my local group I wish more people were willing to lead. Many expect somebody else to decide where to ride and do the leading. For years it was somebody now its me. I try to welcome new riders, but as Norm and others point out its a juggling act. In Lexington at STAR we had a group of 6 riding down, and picked up 2 more at the event. Still a manageable size with a group accustomed to each othe (one was new a guy from Australia). Then for the lunch ride a few more were interested, in order to accommodate them I got Quint (qman) to take the "faster" guys and go. This allowed me to lead a more relaxed pace that worked for the others (especially our senior rider of 80+ who was instrumental in the early formation of our local group).

Anyway so when are we riding again :-) 

Larry next weekend there is an Ohio lunch ride near Wheeling that I plan to attend weather permitting. I'll post that on our Yahoo list, if you're not on that email me and i'll add you or forward info.

Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
Steve thanks for the invite. If you could send the info to kbike85@hotmail.com or text me that would be great.
Wardie

Online normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
LOTS of good discussion here. Thanks to all who replied!

Norm Kern

Online bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »
This is a great discussion with lots of good points.  Thanks to all.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere