Author Topic: ST1100 question  (Read 24055 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
ST1100 question
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
I hate to start something that everyone despises, but I have a tire question (and it's not even January!)...

A '97 ST1100 came to live with me last autumn, and since it had been sitting for a while, I had a new set of tires mounted.  Not knowing what was considered good, bad, or ugly for this bike, I selected a set of Michelin Pilot Activ tires based on a positive vib about Michelins in general and a decent price.
I'm not unhappy with the grip of the tires, but with 6,000 miles on them, the front IS toast. It's not bald, but let's say that the sipes are more of an indication of what might have been rather what should be. For what some might consider more of a touring bike than anything else, I find 6,000 miles to be unacceptable, and I'd like to find something that would be longer lasting.
So...what have you ST1100 riders used in the past and what kind of mileage did you get out of your choices? If you'd prefer to reply by PM, I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I know I should be checking STOC and such, but I trust you guys to give me a straight answer.

Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
Re: ST1100 question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »
I used Avon Storm 2 Ultras on my ST1300 and liked them. I looked at my maintenance records and I was getting around 10k before the rear was worn out. I used to buy Dunlop 205s for the ST1100 and would get 12.5k on the rears.

HTH.

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I used Avon Storm 2 Ultras on my ST1300 and liked them. I looked at my maintenance records and I was getting around 10k before the rear was worn out. I used to buy Dunlop 205s for the ST1100 and would get 12.5k on the rears.

HTH.
I appreciate the recommendation. 12,000 seems like a pretty reasonable bit of mileage.
In the attached picture, the sipes are visible, but if you were to run your fingers over them, you'd barely feel them. 6,000 miles is way too little for a bike that can knock down those miles in a week. However, the rear Activ is still in pretty good shape. I'm not aware of any bike maintenance issues, alignment issues, brake issues, etc., but something sure contributed to this wear.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Rruh, Rroh. Perhaps I'll have to keep looking. Dunlop's website doesn't show the D205 as being available any more. Of course we all know that everything you find on the internet is right.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:47:31 PM »
God luck with your search Geoffrey! I had a Suzuki GSX 1100G that tôok the same size tires, and tires had become difficult to find by the time I sold the bike. I hope you get some good advice. Are you going to make it to Fall Colors this year? If so, please call or email me. Thanks, Syd :)
Touringman

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
God luck with your search Geoffrey! I had a Suzuki GSX 1100G that tôok the same size tires, and tires had become difficult to find by the time I sold the bike. I hope you get some good advice. Are you going to make it to Fall Colors this year? If so, please call or email me. Thanks, Syd :)

Push come to shove, the Michelin tires aren't terrible. As noted, the rear appears to have life left in it. It's just the front tire that has worn in a time frame that I think is too fast. Maybe this is a bike that just needs to have the front changed more often than the rear (it is 725# svelte pounds all gassed up not counting my chunky self). And it's not the sides that are worn down. Looking at the picture, you can see most of the wear is in the middle portion of the tire. I'd be the first to admit that I've used this bike less for "sport" and more for "touring", and the wear pattern indicates that is true.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:34 PM »
IF mileage is what you are after them the Metzler ME880s are hard to beat! I got over 15K on the ST1300 and took them off due to handling issues, neither end was worn out. IIRC, guys on the STOwners forum were getting close to 20K on the rear. I didn't like how the handling went off as the miles piled up, didn't run them again. To be fair, I do not push the big boys that hard in the twisties, too damn hard to pick up if things go wrong. But the 880s stuck well for the pace I was comfortable with. YMMV.

Offline Greg

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 150000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL 1800
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
I may have been misinformed but was told by the shop that installs tires on my bike that Metzler no longer produces the 880. Any 880 you find will be an older tire.  They now produce the 888 which is suppose to be an improved compound.  I like the Metzler on the Goldwing.  It was much more responsive than the Dunlops .  I have been getting 10 to 12k on a set.  Cupping is the issue I have on the 'wing. The Metzlers do not cup has badly as the Dunlops though.
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Phil Bolichowski

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 06:50:52 AM »
Geoffrey, I had an ST1100 for 3 years and tried different brands of tires. Although I rode the bike aggressively, I had my best luck by far with Dunlop Roadsmart 2s'. They are not the cheapest but wore and stuck way better than anything else. I am now using them on my ST3 Ducati with the same results!

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
I went through a bunch of different brands with my 06 FJR.  IMO an FJR and ST are very similar when it comes to tire wear having ridden with a bunch of guys on both the ST1100 and ST1300.  The best tires I had were PR2's.  RS's were OK but have uneven wear issues on the front.  At the time I switched to a Tiger the combo de jour with SE FJR riders was an Angel on the front and an RS on the back.  A lot of water has passed under the bridge but when Storms first came out they had big problems on the front and wear was never spectacular.  The Angels all seem to depend on the rider.  I know of guys running 880's and even car tires on the rear of FJR's to max mileage, but I was never comfortable with that.  Most of the wear issues have more to do with how you twist the trottle.   The guys without chicken strips rarely break 5K.  The commuter and pure tourer guys get 8K and claim some fantastic numbers that I don't have a lot faith in.  Despite a lot of naysayers, the Shinko Raven isn't bad the rear.  Bent Aero did some testing of that tire with amazing results for a dirt cheap tire.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
I appreciate the collective input from you guys. I'm going to get something this week or next...I'm unhappy seeing the bike sit with a bald front tire.
Geoffrey Greene

mike harper

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
Geoffrey, just wanted to add a option. I ride a FJR1300 and my ridding buddy Andrey
Hubble are running Bridgestone T30 tires, and we are both very happy with the way they are performing. Andrey really likes the difference it had made to his ST1100.

Offline Andray

• MSTA Member
  • andrayhubble@gmail.com
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
Geoffrey, The best way to explain the Bridgestone T-30 tires is that they made my ST1100 ride like a new bike! I've said, like it was on ball bearings, in a good way.  It turns quicker, leans over further, and runs through sand and gravel like it's not there!  (The light kind of sand and gravel.)  :-)  I have been using the Metzler Z-6 and Z-8, but the Z-8 is not made for the rear tire, and won't be.  After two bad experiences with the Z-6 I was given the chance to try the T-30 and will probably stay with this tire.  Muscle memory after 7 years on the Metzlers is hard to change, but it sure is fun!  Still waiting to see mileage results.  Call me.....

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
Geoffrey, The best way to explain the Bridgestone T-30 tires is that they made my ST1100 ride like a new bike!  I have been using the Metzler Z-6 and Z-8, but the Z-8 is not made for the rear tire, and won't be.  After two bad experiences with the Z-6 I was given the chance to try the T-30 and will probably stay with this tire.  Muscle memory after 7 years on the Metzlers is hard to change, but it sure is fun!  Still waiting to see mileage results.  Call me.....
Used to ride Metzlers on Triumph Sprints and they were excellent tires; but, 150+ pounds more of bike hardware on an ST or FJR and I can see why it feels like a new bike with tires built for industrial size sport tourers.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

maconjoe

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
As you said, I hate to get into a tire thread discussion because everyone has varying opinions and experiences with tires. I owned a '96 ST for over 15 years and typically used Bridgestone Battleaxes. I thought the handling was good and usually got well over 10k. Not sure if they even produce the B021 any more. Either way, I agree that 6k is disappointing. Goodl uck.