Author Topic: Sport Touring Association Rendezvous Locations MAP (Work in progress)  (Read 5837 times)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Cool!
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Every STAR I've been able to attend has been wonderful. They've had different strong points, but they've all been fun.

From a riding point of view...
It's amazing that what looks like such a short distance between Lake Eufaula, OK and the NW Arkansas STARs made such a H U G E difference in the riding experience. But our visit to OK was still an experience!

There are some big gaps between events (geographically). I know there are some places that are difficult to justify going, but I'd go some of these new places just because I haven't been there before. We will likely continue to have a predominantly eastern US membership, and I know that also has an impact on the decision on where to go.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:02:14 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Curious if you are looking for additions, ones that are missing. I see one that I attended, Rapid City SD 2014.

Very cool.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
Curious if you are looking for additions, ones that are missing. I see one that I attended, Rapid City SD 2014.

Very cool.
It is a work in progress. I started it in 2014 then forgot about it until now. I just finished adding the additional STARS but I need to go back and update the old ones. I originally just pinned the city center but I want to pin the exact venue location since Google Maps has improved so much over the years. I am going to post a listing of all the info I have and request data for missing items such as attendance numbers, raffle bike for many of the stars. Look for that soon.

I just added Rapid City. I was there too! Thanks for pointing that out, Steve.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:17:00 PM by NinjaBob »
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Very cool! Good job Bob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Thanks for doing that Bob. It's kinda cool to see and reminisce.  All that I have been able to attend (quite a few) were a great time. Every location has a different appeal but it's all good,  TM

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
Thanks guys! I have attended 27 STARS, including the first in 1983. STAR has been the highlight of most of those years, never been to one I didn't like. Only trips that compete are my two Edelweiss tours in Europe. This year's STAR is going to be AWESOME!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
Bob, I believe that the 1995 STAR in Avon raffle bike was a ST1100 that was won by Tom Trieschmann. In 2002 at Hot Springs, I believe that it was a FZ 1 and that inspired Denise Dickenson to buy one. I think that she still has it with over 200,000? miles on it.

Fred Z.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
Thanks Fred!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline BMWKeith

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 813,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GS
Re: Sport Touring Association Rendezvous Locations MAP (Work in progress)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have done the same thing for locations of each STAR in Google Earth for all of the STARs that I have attended. I've attended every STAR since 1989 in Wakefield Michigan. I've looked at some of the locations on your map and have a couple more that you can update.

STAR '89 was at the Indianhead Mountain Big Snow Resort lodge just outside of Wakefield, MI, which is very nearly at the extreme western tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The rally site was a couple miles west of Wakefield, on the north side of US-2. The resort is still going today and can be seen in the satellite imagery. Here is a link to Google Maps showing the location https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en. Bruce Bradford was the organizer of the rally. Honda was there that year with a trailer full of PC800s, promoting it as a great sport tourer perfectly suited to HSTAers.

STAR '97 was at Lake Eufaula State Park at the resort. The resort is no longer there, but you can still see the parking lots in Google Maps. They show up as roads, and they are clearly visible when you zoom in in the Satellite imagery.
To find it, from the town of Eufaula, go up US-69 across the reservoir to Hwy 150, then go west until you come to a sharp right turn to the north. There you will find Megan Bell Blvd, which goes south from the turn, and becomes the parking lot for the lodge.
Someone else told me that the lodge actually closed about 2 weeks before STAR that year, but they reopened it for the week to honor the contract that had already been signed for STAR. It closed again after we left, and was demolished about 10 years later.
Here's a link to Google Maps where the lodge was located https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en

:)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:12:21 AM by NinjaBob »
Keith D.
Pentwater, MI
R1200GS, S1000R, CBR600F4i

Offline BMWKeith

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 09:24:17 PM »
STAR '03 was at the Holiday Inn in Charleston, WV. This is now the Four Points by Sheraton Charleston. The hotel is just across the street from the Ohio River. The raffle bike in 2003 at Charleston, WV was a Honda ST1300 that was won by Eric Kuhn from Michigan, and the lunch ride that year was at a Whitewater Rafting Outfitter at the intersection of US-60 and US-19

The raffle bike in 2006 at Avon, CO was a Honda VFR800 that was won by Eric Kuhn from Michigan.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:12:41 AM by NinjaBob »
Keith D.
Pentwater, MI

Offline BMWKeith

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »
Here are a couple more for you.

STAR '91 was held at the Rodeway Inn in Mammoth Lakes, CA. It is now Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa. It is located on Old Mammoth Road just south of Hwy 203.

STAR '04 was at this same location. The T-shirt said "I Rode with Willy" (as in mammoth), with all of the promotion articles in the STAReview that year being stories from Willy on his way to STAR. The lunch ride was held at the Whoa Nellie Deli at the Mobil gas station at the intersection of US-395 and Hwy 120 near Lee Vining, and overlooking Mono Lake.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:15:21 AM by NinjaBob »
Keith D.
Pentwater, MI

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 06:55:32 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have done the same thing for locations of each STAR in Google Earth for all of the STARs that I have attended. I've attended every STAR since 1989 in Wakefield Michigan. I've looked at some of the locations on your map and have a couple more that you can update.

STAR '89 was at the Indianhead Mountain Big Snow Resort lodge just outside of Wakefield, MI, which is very nearly at the extreme western tip of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The rally site was a couple miles west of Wakefield, on the north side of US-2. The resort is still going today and can be seen in the satellite imagery. Here is a link to Google Maps showing the location https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en. Bruce Bradford was the organizer of the rally. Honda was there that year with a trailer full of PC800s, promoting it as a great sport tourer perfectly suited to HSTAers.

STAR '97 was at Lake Eufaula State Park at the resort. The resort is no longer there, but you can still see the parking lots in Google Maps. They show up as roads, and they are clearly visible when you zoom in in the Satellite imagery.
To find it, from the town of Eufaula, go up US-69 across the reservoir to Hwy 150, then go west until you come to a sharp right turn to the north. There you will find Megan Bell Blvd, which goes south from the turn, and becomes the parking lot for the lodge.
Someone else told me that the lodge actually closed about 2 weeks before STAR that year, but they reopened it for the week to honor the contract that had already been signed for STAR. It closed again after we left, and was demolished about 10 years later.
Here's a link to Google Maps where the lodge was located https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3779119,-95.6051705,17z?hl=en

How about that...I don't think I was aware of the lodge at Lake Eufaula being on the chopping block.
I DO remember pitching my tent on a grassy berm behind the lodge along with a few other hardy souls. After dark it might get down into the mid 80s by 11:00 p.m., but more likely closer to midnight. I remember sleeping on top of my sleeping bag and praying for any puff of a breeze that might come my way. It was TOASTY!
At least I rode my Hawk GT, so when I did ride, I didn't have a windshield blocking any of the wind. Then again, blocking a 95 degree wind might be a good thing.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.