Thread Archive > STAR 2023

STAR 2023 / STAR '23

(1/3) > >>

HawkGTRider:
It was announced last night that STAR 2023 will be held in Knoxville, TN! Dates will be June 10-15, 2023, so put it on your calendar.

For you eagle-eyed folks that notice that's a day longer than typical, yeah, that's right. We've been having so many people show up for STAR on Saturday and even a few on Friday, it's been decided to go ahead and make Saturday an official day of STAR '23. That may not be a permanent change, but it will be this time. The opening ceremonies may also be on Saturday...we'll see.

Knoxville is my home town, and along with the other MSTAers that live in and around the area, we're excited to help make STAR '23 a great success.

stevegrab:
Knoxville will be a great location, looking forward to it and all the special roads and destinations that get included. Will be nice to get back there again after my recent trip to ride the area following Tri-STAR. Richard and I enjoyed a short visit at Fontana Dam, I've been in that area several times and never made the stop there.

Being a local you are probably familiar with this, the road that goes past Bald River Falls is in need of repairs (bridge replacement), and there have been delays getting it done for the past couple of years. Hopefully it isn't closed during our event, as that is a must see, and an easy stop off the Cherohala Skyway.

RichGrab:
All I can say is YIPEEEE. Can't wait. Adding to my calendar now.

HawkGTRider:
Details about the Tuesday lunch ride during STAR are now ready...
Catered by Buddy's B-B-Q from Knoxville, the menu is:
HICKORY-SMOKED PULLED PORK BAR-B-Q
BAR-B-Q SAUCE ON THE SIDE
PULLED CHICKEN
BAKED BEANS
POTATO SALAD
POTATO CHIPS
HAMBURGER BUNS
ICED TEA - SWEET & UNSWEET
LEMONADE
WATER

With both pulled pork and pulled chicken, I'm hoping that most everyone will find something to their liking.

The location is a county park a couple of counties from Knoxville...the Roane County Park just west of Kingston. (The original plan was to go to the Smoky Mtn National Park, but they've instituted a parking fee for anyone stopping for more than 15 minutes...collectively, that would have cost us near or more than $1,000.) It's a nice place right on Watts Bar Lake with a large, relatively flat paved parking lot right next to the pavilion....plenty of space for us. You "could" get there by riding 32 miles with 27 of them being interstate, but that's not what you're expecting. "Backroads Roger" White has put together a lunch route that meanders all the way over to the Cumberland Plateau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Plateau) and back....good stuff. Wikipedia says the Plateau is part of the Appalachian Mountains. Knoxville lies between the Plateau and the main part of the mountain chain.

STLTHMSTA:
Good Deal, thanks to all in the planning process. TM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version