Author Topic: RevZilla selling out to Cycle Gear  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
RevZilla selling out to Cycle Gear
« on: February 13, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
Well this topic has been all over the other forums I visit so I searched here and didn't find it but it does impact us. RevZilla has a press release on there site.

And there is this:

Interesting take on the deal from an industry insider:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/oped/revzilla-cycle-gear-power-play-op-ed/

At first I thought this to be a very bad thing but it sounds like it's gonna be a very good thing for us!

YMMV
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Re: RevZilla selling out to Cycle Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
That's a very interesting read! I have a Cycle Gear store in Norfolk, which is about an hour and a quarter from me. I've never summed up the energy to visit it, preferring to sit on my butt, and enjoy free shipping. I save gas, and eliminate buying all those extras I'm going to see if I actually visit the store. ;D Cycle Gear products haven't impressed me either, but Revzilla has the power to change that I guess. Syd :)
Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
I've been to the local Cycle Gear store once, it wasn't great but had much better selection and quality of stuff than my local dealer. Of course I also have Iron Pony in Columbus and Competition Accessories in Springfield Ohio about 2 hours away with tons more stuff. But I continue to buy lots online, though I've not shopped at Revzilla specifically.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »

I buy a lot of stuff online but gloves and helmets are two things I've learned not to buy without trying on.We have a Cycle Gear in Baton Rouge and I have bought $1000s of gear from them and rarely disappointed. The staff is very knowledgeable and I have come to trust their advice. There Bilt stuff is not great or stylish but it works and the price is great. Their Sedici line is very good. IMO. A pair of Sedici sport gloves is the best pair of leather gloves I've ever owed.  The Hotwired gear has replaced my WarnAndSafe gear, not because its better but because it has a lifetime guarantee. I am also a big fan of their Freezeout line of apparel.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
I think their stuff (Cycle Gear) is only average in quality but can be worth the price if you are willing to settle for average quality.
I do think they could greatly increase their profits if they offered the same exact items for sale without the "BILT" stenciled all over everything.
Do you own a sweatshirt? Do you own a sweatshirt that says WALMART across the front of it in huge letters?
 I rest my case.
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »
I think their stuff (Cycle Gear) is only average in quality but can be worth the price if you are willing to settle for average quality.
I do think they could greatly increase their profits if they offered the same exact items for sale without the "BILT" stenciled all over everything.
Do you own a sweatshirt? Do you own a sweatshirt that says WALMART across the front of it in huge letters?
 I rest my case.

How many pieces of riding gear do you own that DON'T have the name of the manufacturer on it? I've often wished I could have patented the idea of putting a brand name on a company's products...genius. You spend your money on their product and then do free advertising for them for as long as you use the product.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »
I have some good bilt winter pants, they are a bit bulky and not terribly stylish but they are the ONLY pair of pants I have ever owned that are 100% waterproof. Stayed dry through four days of steady rain (in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, by the way  ;D ) No big logos stenciled, just small, discreet rubber labels on the pocket flaps.

I'll be upgrading to KLIM soon as I win the lottery ;)
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
 I rest my case.

How many pieces of riding gear do you own that DON'T have the name of the manufacturer on it? I've often wished I could have patented the idea of putting a brand name on a company's products...genius. You spend your money on their product and then do free advertising for them for as long as you use the product.
  I agree with you, but you may have missed my point.
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
Actually I didn't miss your point. 

I couldn't care less how a product is branded.  If it works and is a good value it doesn't bother me at all that it has Walmart on the label. One of the few good things about old age is you don't give a rat's a$$ about what other people think ;)
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
Actually I didn't miss your point.

Well actually, I was posting to HawkGTRider,....
I couldn't care less how a product is branded.  If it works and is a good value it doesn't bother me at all that it has Walmart on the label.

....and I wasn't referring to the label, but regardless...the point I was making is that Cycle Gear could increase sales/profits by offering the same exact products without the BILT stenciled all over the them, if offered right along side the BILT stuff. Their typical customer is younger than us (at least from what I've seen every time I go into one of their stores) and many of that age are brand conscious. They will wear a shirt with "Hollister" on it but not much chance of "Walmart".  So following that logic (if that's what it is) I'm assuming that the same would apply to Icon or Alpinestars vs BILT. In other words for that group, blank (possibly cool) is better than BILT (not cool). 

One of the few good things about old age is you don't give a rat's a$$ about what other people think ;)
Agreed!  ;D

MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
Marty,

Unless those young people know what is good or bad MC gear I doubt they have a clue as to whether BILT is a desireable brand name or not. And all they would need is some marketing to tell them it is good, like Bose and Harley who do such a good job of marketing their products as "the best".
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650