Author Topic: Truth About Aerostich  (Read 9201 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Truth About Aerostich
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
I recently got a cryptic email from Andy at Aerostich. How many of you also got this email and did you do the survey?
I did look at the survey and well I don't think it's for me.
You?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Truth About Aerostich
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
I got it. But after reading it, I decided it was not something that I'd follow up on anyway. I didn't do the survey.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »
I did not get it. What's the deal with it?
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
Dear Riders, Supporters and Friends,
I’m writing you today about an opportunity to work with us -- but not as a customer.
Over the last two years I've privately contacted a few of our best long-term customers, asking if they’d be interested in working with Aerostich in confidential financial areas. There were several positive responses, and I learned a lot from the experience, including the fact that reaching out randomly to potentially interested individuals is inefficient.
After thinking about the best way to find interested persons I’ve decided to just write everyone in our files and attach a short information-gathering survey.
If you would like to learn more about this opportunity, please click , to participate in this short survey. You’ll be asked to provide a little information about yourself, and to download and sign a confidential information non-disclosure form. After you return the completed agreement I’ll contact you for a conversation about this opportunity.
Please note that Aerostich is not for sale, I am not looking to retire, and this isn’t an offer to sell equity or securities. Over the past thirty three years Aerostich has been profitable enough to partly self-finance its growth, but we have always also worked with a bank lender.
We continue to hold ideas about rider’s gear, motorcycling’s future, and business practices which are not common. I'd like to now find a few more persons interested in helping us move our objectives ahead a little faster.
This email was sent from an unattended mailbox. Only completed  will receive personal replies.
Sincerely,
Andy
P.S. – If you would like to receive our regular commercial email announcements of new products and sale offers, or review your email preferences, please click .

Since this was supposedly sent to everyone in their files, I don't feel bad about including the contents of the message here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:47:26 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
I didn't read the survey because I really didn't know what to make of it. Doesn't sound like an Aerostich (Andy) sort of approach.

Is it really a from a Prince in West Africa???   TM

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Sounds like a scam or just very odd letter. I doubt it was sent to "everyone in our files" since I didn't receive it but have gotten 3 emails from Aerostitch in the last few days, including one about the new catalogs and 2 others concerning various special deals on types of gear. I've never bought an Aerostitch suit but have placed a handful of orders for things over the years.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 04:53:17 PM »
Sounds like a scam or just very odd letter. I doubt it was sent to "everyone in our files" since I didn't receive it but have gotten 3 emails from Aerostitch in the last few days, including one about the new catalogs and 2 others concerning various special deals on types of gear. I've never bought an Aerostitch suit but have placed a handful of orders for things over the years.
Interesting thread. I too got the email mentioned by Brick and Geoffrey. And likewise didn't respond. And since then, I've gotten several of their "normal" sale type emails. Maybe someone who still has the mail should forward it to Aerostich. Then they can legitimize it or not.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
I believe it was Brick who said he'd responded to the survey and decided to not proceed after taking part. I've not heard anything from him indicating he'd experienced some catastrophic computer meltdown from having done so.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
No I just clicked on the survey to see the questions. I did not take the survey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
I received the letter, also. Don't know what to think. I did not take the survey. Enough time has passed to warn everyone if it was a hacked email. I hope the company is not going to be sold.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:12:50 AM by Steve »
Steve

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
Hacked? Maybe. The message gave me the willies enough to not click on the links (although Brick said above he looked at the questions, and since he's still functioning, apparently with no ill effects). I was pretty sure I didn't have anything to offer Andy anyway, but the message seemed very suspect.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
An internet search turns up similar discussions on some other MC forums like
gl1800riders.com advider.com

The one on advrider says as you take the survey they want to know your net worth and when is the best time to call you. Another person posting says they contacted Andy and he says it is legit.

I think somebody got their hands on Aerostich email list. I did find that I also got that email, it was in my Spam folder. Seems odd that they'd really expect to get legit responses from that type of email. Others on the advrider forum mention that Andy may be looking to make money by collecting/selling your information, or just helping somebody (the company doing the survey) to do that.

I personally avoid this stuff, and treat it like spam (much like AOL mail did).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Tigger

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 01:38:59 AM »
I responded to Andy's curious survey which in fact was more like a pre-screening of suitable crowd-funders. He may be trying to dilute his ownership to prevent a hostile takeover. I don't know. I initially responded in the hopes that it would lead to crowd-sourcing a few alternate design ideas but nope... so I just dropped responding a second time.

Total Control Instructor # 256

"A ship is always safe at port. But that is not what ships are built for."

DallasBMWRider

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
I received the email. I sounded to me like he was trying to raise capital from customers as opposed to the usual banking connections he mentioned. He did say Aerostich was not being sold. And privately held concerns cannot be "bought out" with a hostile takeover as long as he maintains 51% ownership. It was indeed a strange email, and no I didn't take the survey. But my thoughts on it were that the Aerostich brand has a loyal following. Like most motorcycle clubs, their customer base is aging. And like these aging motorcycle clubs, Aerostich loyalist are also dying or even retiring from riding, every day. Unlike publicly held companies, private concerns are accountable to no one but perhaps the IRS. So why invest in something where you don't know what's really going on and have no input or control over? Skeptical to say the least....

Offline fxk

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~100k
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW K1200 RS Zebra
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
No way on God's Green Earth would I have opened the email before looking at it in "View Source", and doing my scan of where it's been, ratings, return address, and the like. It truly doth stink of a scam.  Borderline, at the very best.

If it were serious, I would have expected some type of prospectus on letterhead via snail mail - and at least a hint of what's going on on the website.

Has anyone brought this to the attention of the Aerostitch folks?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:57:05 PM by fxk »
Remember "The Pace"