Author Topic: Montana riders?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline KevBelz

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 175000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2009 FJR1300a
Montana riders?
« on: July 21, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
It seems there are not many of us in this group. Just a friendly check in from the Bozeman area.
"The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect; so hard to earn, so easily burned"
Arrival is not the point of the journey.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Montana riders?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »
I had a very nice dinner in Bozeman in 2003 while riding in the Iron Butt Rally. One of the other rally riders and I had recognized each other as we traveled along. We stopped, had a good meal, and then went on our separate ways on the way to Missoula and the finish of the rally.

If our numbers are consistent in percentage with the population in general, I'd guess you are quite right about not having many members in MT. Given the same percentage of MSTA members that are in some of the geographically comparable States, it would make sense. I have to admit that a sport touring bike is probably the best compromise for an area like that to be found. They're fast enough to get from one place to another without lollygagging, and yet, still comfortable enough to stay at it for long periods of time.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Montana riders?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »
I had a very nice dinner in Bozeman in 2003 while riding in the Iron Butt Rally. One of the other rally riders and I had recognized each other as we traveled along. We stopped, had a good meal, and then went on our separate ways on the way to Missoula and the finish of the rally.

If our numbers are consistent in percentage with the population in general, I'd guess you are quite right about not having many members in MT. Given the same percentage of MSTA members that are in some of the geographically comparable States, it would make sense. I have to admit that a sport touring bike is probably the best compromise for an area like that to be found. They're fast enough to get from one place to another without lollygagging, and yet, still comfortable enough to stay at it for long periods of time.
Great point about population, many of our members live in or near a metro area with more people than the entire state of Montana.

I loved the days I spend riding there in 2014 after STAR in Rapid City, spent the night in Belgrade and could see the snow capped mountains north of Bozeman.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650