Author Topic: STAR 2015  (Read 24178 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: STAR 2015
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Although I've never looked at post-STAR surveys in any detail, I'd guess that "heavy traffic in-and-out of the hotel area" is not a major gripe.  We're there for the event and to see friends so traffic getting to/from the hotel is really not a concern.   

A critical factor in choosing a locale for STAR is getting people who know the event logistics into a proposed area but many members still work so dropping everything to check out a different area isn't going to happen.  And I'm sure that reserving a hotel more than a year in advance can provide lots of leverage to ask for different things and/or better rates. 

We're still an all-volunteer outfit so no one is paid for their duties at the state and national levels.
The worst one I remember was the hotel in Asheville (2007) that was on the edge of a mall parking lot. It was right off the interestate and a bit tricky getting around.
Jon Campbell Sr. (Ohio MSTA) explained the hotel requirements very well. Choices are limited, and that is why we are always in a good sized city for STAR, and not some small town right on the edge of the twisties.

To Jims point about the EC always being receptive to info, problem is most members do not know the plans for the future STAR (2016, 2017, etc.) so providing them with ideas for hotels and such isn't really possible. Not saying that needs to change, just that the poster mentioning other places had no way of knowing Arkansas was a candidate for 2015 when hotels and other plans were being made.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: STAR 2015
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 01:55:23 PM »
Finding the hotel in Asheville was tough the first time but after you knew to ride all the way 'round that mall parking lot, it was simple.  There are always pluses and minuses to any locale.