Author Topic: It's about time...  (Read 6952 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: It's about time...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 08:14:41 PM »
On my first ride to Bike Week in 83 I started out from Baton Rouge at dawn and the temp was low 30s. I had no heated gear back then. I stopped at the big rest area welcome center at the LA/MS line. It has a huge men's room.  It was full of bikers warming their hands with the heated hand driers and I was one of them. I stopped early that afternoon, making it as far as Lake City, FL, thoroughly chilled. I checked into a cheap motel and soaked in a hot bath for an hour!

Sounds like good use of whatever resources were available.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 09:01:07 PM »
We were in Florida in Dec, 2021 and at Universal, with the water rides, we saw special dryers that people stood under to dry after the ride.  The air was fairly warm temp, as we wore short sleeve shirts.  Those same people probably went back on another ride and got wet again.  Seems like another gimmick for the operators to get more money from people.
In Minnesota, we would just walk around until it dries.  Even if it was 40F.

The TV is saying that there are snow storms coming from Georgia to NY.  The news talked to a store in NJ that sells snow blowers and said he sold out of several today.  Glad it is not coming to MN this time.  50's-60's predicted all this week after Sunday.
Stay safe everyone.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2022, 02:17:52 PM »
I've always heard that the majority of people go to bike week for a big biker party, and that many don't know there is a race. And the more I hear that, the crowds and the cost of the rooms the less I'm interested. Certainly not inclined to ride there from Northeast Ohio in late winter. Even if I had heated gear, and a more touring oriented bike.

I recorded the race, first time I recall it being on TV in some time, or maybe first time I was interested since it now involves MotoAmerica series. (I was confused thinking it was the big "superbikes", it is the supersport class which is still primarily 600cc sport bikes, though some larger ones are included.)

Hope you got home safe Geoffrey, I was looking at the weather in Eastern TN where my brother lives on the weekend and it was almost as bad as here (we got hopefully our last measurable snow and some pretty cold temps).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 03:52:49 PM »
I've always heard that the majority of people go to bike week for a big biker party, and that many don't know there is a race. And the more I hear that, the crowds and the cost of the rooms the less I'm interested. Certainly not inclined to ride there from Northeast Ohio in late winter. Even if I had heated gear, and a more touring oriented bike.

I recorded the race, first time I recall it being on TV in some time, or maybe first time I was interested since it now involves MotoAmerica series. (I was confused thinking it was the big "superbikes", it is the supersport class which is still primarily 600cc sport bikes, though some larger ones are included.)

Hope you got home safe Geoffrey, I was looking at the weather in Eastern TN where my brother lives on the weekend and it was almost as bad as here (we got hopefully our last measurable snow and some pretty cold temps).
Steve,
I’ve attended many years and was always amazed how few knew about the races. We used to attend many races while there. Used to be that AMA’s CCS races, basically club races were the week before and there are still many flat track races around the are during Bike week and even bike drag races. Also the AMI, Mc and car training would have a huge Dino shoot out. There was always plenty to do there including going to Main Street which is a show in itself… not to be missed at least a few times. And you can ride your bike along the ocean and find really great places to get fantastic sea food!

Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »
<snip>

I talked to my better half Friday night and she instructed me to NOT come home Saturday.

Ok...I wimped out and didn't stay for the race on Saturday. When the rains stopped around 10:00 a.m., I headed northwest to bag a couple of stamps for my NPS passport. Temperature was in the mid 50s, and finally dry, so the day started out decently. I visited the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and followed that up ~90 miles away with a visit to Banks Lake National Wildlife Refuge while the temperatures dropped. I had given some thought to trying to stretch the day to getting to the Warm Springs National Fish Hatchery or the Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge. But by waiting for the rains to stop in Jacksonville, where I was staying, it looked like it would be after 5:00 p.m. before getting to either of those places, and it was definitely getting colder. I chose to stop for the night in Forsyth, GA about 60 miles south of Atlanta.
I got up Sunday morning hoping for dry weather and a bit of warmth. Dry it was, but warm it wasn't. I waited until the regular checkout time at the motel (not helped by the change to Daylight Saving Time on Saturday night) and then got on the road. By then the temps were in the mid 30s and eventually got into the low 40s later in the day. I didn't have my electrics with me, but I was bundled up. I got home around 3:30 Sunday afternoon on all dry roads but with plenty of snow still on grassy surfaces all around.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2022, 11:28:25 AM »
Good to hear you made it home safe and sound, although a bit chilled. Hope to see you later in the year at an event.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »
Good to hear you made it home safe and sound, although a bit chilled. Hope to see you later in the year at an event.
Looks like I won't make it to Arkansas for T-Rally #34...I had to provide a list of open weekends to our MSF program administrator back in January for the first few months of the year, and I got assigned a class that weekend.
I anticipate attending the No. Georgia Classic in April, have a tent site reserved in May at Canaan Valley, will be at Tri-STAR over the Memorial Day weekend, and naturally STAR in June.
I may have a backstage call opposite Brick's Big Lynn Lodge (BBLL??), and it looks like I won't get back there after making it the last 2-3 years. Too bad...it's a good one.
I missed River City last year, so I'm hoping to make that one this year.
August will be packed with Eagles Quest, Red River Gorge, and FlyBy, so we'll see how that goes. I may be taking an extended ride to the wet coast in September. If I'm gone for multiple weeks, I'll probably need to stay home to keep the young lady amused afterwards. Again, we'll see how that goes.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 02:14:50 PM »
Sounds like you've got your ride calendar booked up. Planning on Tri-Star (it'll be my first) and later in year MPFB & FCR. See you at one of them I'm sure.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 10:38:57 PM »
Sounds like you've got your ride calendar booked up. Planning on Tri-Star (it'll be my first) and later in year MPFB & FCR. See you at one of them I'm sure.

I look forward to seeing you then.
Geoffrey Greene