Author Topic: Anyone here used Metzeler ME888 tires on a Sport-tourer or Adv-tourer?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Phlip

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally
Anyone here have any experience with Metzeler ME888 tires? I am looking for some longer lasting tires to go on my Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally(120/70-19 & 170/60-17). I’ve only had this bike for a couple of years or so and have only used Michelin tires on it.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Hmmm, Not sure of the 888's in particular, I'm assuming that is the more touring tire for heavier sport tourers.  But I have been a Metzler guy for along time. However, I have never gotten more than 8k out of the rear on my ST11's and as little as 5k depending on the riding and road conditions. I currently have Bridgestones and they are doing well, I like the feel and feedback with about 5k on them now. I tried these when the odd rear size wasn't available at that time. I hope this helps.  TM

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
I used to use the Metzler ME88 which was replaced years ago by the 888 on my touring bikes. I'm winding up a long trip on a set of Michelin Road 5s. They're doing ok, but they've been updated to a Road 6. And for heavier bikes, there's a Road 6 GT.

The Caponord would seem to fit the Road 6 usage. The ME888 is a serious touring tire and may not have the grip some other tires might offer. But that's always the trade-off.

A friend of mine has a Caponord, and he treats it like an adventure touring bike...with a heavy emphasis on touring. But using a 100% street oriented tire might not be a bad option.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:35:55 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Phlip

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally
Thanks guys. I should have added that I stay on the pavement or at least try to. I currently have a Pilot Road 4 GT on the back and a Pilot 5 Trail on the front. I don’t have any complaints with these tires but was just wondering about trying full on touring tires next. Maybe not a great idea but I’ve been known to have those.