Author Topic: WeekDAY rallies?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
WeekDAY rallies?
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:41:40 PM »
Just a general question for y’all……

What are your thoughts regarding doing a regional rally during the WEEK…..like from a Sunday-Wednesday/Thursday?

Many venues are more available those days (especially during the summer months) and the rates are generally better.
Less traffic on the roads too.  I realize that it might be a deal breaker for some that work, but with enough notice could it be managed?
not all that wander are lost

Offline Phlip

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally
Re: WeekDAY rallies?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 06:04:08 PM »
I’m retired so it works for me.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 09:00:43 AM »
Like Phil I too am retired so it would work for me.

Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline africord

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 50,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2002 VFR800
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 10:05:26 AM »
While this will appeal to our base, it does nothing for recruitment.  I was 51 when I bought the VFR and sought out MSTA.  While I haven't made a rally since 2015, a draw for all the rallies I attended is that I did not have to use vacation time for at least some days.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 07:15:09 AM »
It depends on the time of the year more than the day of the week for me. I'd be up for a mid-week event.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
Well, as I can see from responses this will work well for the retired folks. Those of us who still have a M-F responsibility not so much. As it is, I already need to use at least one day of vacation to attend MPFB (if work conference timing allows it), at least 2 if not 3 days for FCR. And as someone else mentioned, not gonna do much for recruitment efforts of the younger folks (aka future of MSTA).
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 08:40:55 PM »
There are A LOT of jobs where people work weekends on a regular basis and have days off during the week.  Sure, lots of people work the Monday-Friday office deal, but that’s not true for everyone.  In addition, there are a lot more jobs today that work flexibly and where people can choose their days off.  Perhaps doing something different and having something happening on days during the week would be attractive to those people?  I mean 1 weekday rally a year wouldn’t really matter that much, would it?  We already have 16 a year that happen on weekends.  How about doing ONE for the people for whom it WOULD be convenient?

We can’t just keep doing the same old things and hope for different results. Perhaps it’s time to try something different?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:30:32 PM by Patmo »

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 11:00:48 PM »
As long as you're adding a new event and not changing an existing event I say go far it.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline Skee

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2019 Versys 1k
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 03:29:53 PM »
As long as you're adding a new event and not changing an existing event I say go far it.

^  No harm in giving it a try.  Perhaps scheduling it in conjunction with a weekend meet in a nearby region would give folks the added option of attending one or both as their schedules permit.  For example, schedule a weekday meet somewhere near the Dragon in NC, and then a weekend meet in Canaan Valley in WV.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 03:37:20 PM »

^  No harm in giving it a try.  Perhaps scheduling it in conjunction with a weekend meet in a nearby region would give folks the added option of attending one or both as their schedules permit.  For example, schedule a weekday meet somewhere near the Dragon in NC, and then a weekend meet in Canaan Valley in WV.
Whoa… your idea isn’t bad but the two locations you selected are a long way away from each other not near at all.
Just my $.02 worth.
Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Online STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 04:59:38 AM »
I like Skee's idea. Why not give it a try. It doesn't mean it's a revolution, it's just an idea to try something new. TM

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 06:05:34 PM »
Since you asked for opinions here is mine. Not a fan, weekend events just work better for me with a M-F job. If you already have Sa/Su off, a weekend event may only mean one day off, at MPFB my roommate didn't have much vacation, and left a bit early to ride down Friday. Usually one day is enough, unless I want more riding then I use 2.

I agree with some others, if you're doing a new event great. I think changes to existing events need to be more carefully considered (starting with the organizers and regular attendees).

MPFB is already a week long event any idea how many come just for say the first 2-3 days because it works for their schedule? Do you have some numbers for that?

Are you hearing from members that want weekday rallies, or is it just part of the "lets try something different" plan.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »
Both….I have some KY members that have told me that they are tied up on saturdays-sundays and have either free time, or time off work, during the week.  I see a lot of posts on FB showing lots of our members our riding during the week.  I think that there is a market for weekday rallies, and it is one that almost no one is addressing. We could set ourselves apart from almost every other group if we did offer some weekday events, IN ADDITION to the already established weekend events we have.

In regards to when events are scheduled….that is almost entirely up to the event coordinators. We only have a few stipulations/guidelines and they do not deal with the days of the week that events may be held on.  The event coordinators choose the locations and days that work best for them and their event. If any event coordinator would choose to run their event as a weekday event, they won’t get any pushback from the EC.

Personally….I have season tickets for college football in the fall and that means having only a few free weekends in September and October where I could attend a rally.  A weekday rally during those months would be ideal for me.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:32:23 PM by Patmo »

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 08:34:22 PM »

Not a bad idea IMO, but might be hard to schedule. Most of our rallies are 2 weeks apart

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »
I just looked it up and according to the Dept. of Labor…..35% of all full time workers in the US work WEEKENDS.  My friends, that’s A LOT of people.

Are we missing an opportunity?