Author Topic: Need different tires or ???  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
Need different tires or ???
« on: November 16, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »
Three days of snow in southern MN and I think I need different tires or get a snowmobile. Last week was in the 70's and now the last few days has not been above 35F, and down as low as 4F, with more cold on the way.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: Need different tires or ???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 06:25:45 PM »
A little better here but I'm not likin' it.  I'm surprised you don't already have a sled.   TM

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:05:00 PM »
The snow is heading east. The news tonight said some areas in Ohio could have over 20 inches. Now that would not be fun even with a sled.

I had several different sleds through the years. I also raced when I was much younger. Gilles Villieneuve was someone that I looked up to at the track and was in his pit area many times. He was as I like to say, the inventor of the independent front suspension on snowmobiles. I talked to the crew many times, but Gilles did not talk, as I think he did not know English, only French. It was a sad day when he died.
After talking to his crew and then being drafted into the US Army, going to school as a Hawk Missile Technician and serving at Ft. Bliss/El Paso, TX and White Sand Missile Range I came home and put my plans together.
I built a snowmobile from 3 different brands and 5 different years of parts. 1st race entered, garnered 2nd place in Modified. Then made several more improvements. It was called, the JD Pol-Cat. Parts from John Deere, Polaris, and Arctic Cat. And of course, a Stars and Stripes hood, red, white and blue.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 05:14:37 AM »
Don't most MN'ers have 4 major toys?? MC's, boats, sleds and ice fishing huts!  From what I have seen in MN everyone lives each season to the fullest. ;))  TM

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 10:51:06 PM »
Yes you are right on everyone living each season to the fullest. Well, most everyone.
We had a few MC's at a time, including Denise had her own many years ago. Honda 350 4cyl that I installed a 400 kit, Hooker 4 into 1 exhaust and carb work, and had to install stronger clutch disc springs it would not slip, to name a few upgrades. Then was faster than stock 750's in quarter mile.
We also had a fishing boat.
Then we sold the MC's when I worked at Mankato Honda as Service Mang., and bought a house and was able to to take a used one from the Sales Floor after they closed for the night. That is where I rode my first V-4 Sabre, the model that was the reason for the Honda V-4 Club, then HSTA and now MSTA. We loved that one and rode it more than others. Loved it more than the CBX 6 cyl.
Gee, I should have bought a few of those and kept them.
Never had a ice fishing hut, because I had a friend that had one on Lake Mille Lacs, the lake that is so big they plow roads on it in winter, and have villages on the lake.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »
I'm not jealous of you guys, but I find the things you do to be fascinating. Very nice.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »
The snow is heading east. The news tonight said some areas in Ohio could have over 20 inches. Now that would not be fun even with a sled.

I had several different sleds through the years. I also raced when I was much younger. Gilles Villieneuve was someone that I looked up to at the track and was in his pit area many times. He was as I like to say, the inventor of the independent front suspension on snowmobiles. I talked to the crew many times, but Gilles did not talk, as I think he did not know English, only French. It was a sad day when he died.
After talking to his crew and then being drafted into the US Army, going to school as a Hawk Missile Technician and serving at Ft. Bliss/El Paso, TX and White Sand Missile Range I came home and put my plans together.
I built a snowmobile from 3 different brands and 5 different years of parts. 1st race entered, garnered 2nd place in Modified. Then made several more improvements. It was called, the JD Pol-Cat. Parts from John Deere, Polaris, and Arctic Cat. And of course, a Stars and Stripes hood, red, white and blue.
The only place in Ohio that would have been getting that much snow from this storm are the extreme NE corner of the state, east of Cleveland, Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula counties. I heard reports of 16-18 in some places, know another member in CLE eastern suburbs who had 6, we only had a trace here in Akron.

The older I get the less I like winter, the more I want to move somewhere that has no snow or much milder winters. Retirement is a ways off (5-7 years) but since I'm now a work at home person, I could move anywhere that I can get decent internet connection.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 10:56:14 PM »
Steve, Do I hear a move to an island?? Maybe not, then hurricanes.

We had a total of about 4-5 inches this past week, and now the news said it may all be gone in about a week.
At least it was not like Buffalo, NY with 5-6 feet, depending on the area and who reports it.
See attachment. This was sent to me when I was still working in Tech Support.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 03:02:50 PM »
Working from home is already a bit like a deserted island ;) Plus most islands don't have enough good paved roads to provide for lots of quality motorcycling.

Good internet without paying a fortune will be necessary.

I was looking at some pictures from the big snows we had last year, first in a few years for this area, with two weekend storms in mid-late January that each dumped 12-18 inches (with it mostly melting in between after warmth and rain).
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650