Author Topic: A word to fellow dare devils.  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Tom S

• MSTA Member
  • 901-568-9747
    • http://www.sullivanhomeplans.com
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: RC51, FZ6, VFR, naked PC, carbon-fiber 900RR and dirt bikes.
A word to fellow dare devils.
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
For those of you that do stupid things like me, which includes riding on each side or the center of RR tracks, you may find this story interesting.   We have a large creek that runs through the center of the city that has trails on each side that the Memphis Motorcycle Club has ridden since 1928.  When the creek is too high, in order to get to the trails on the other side, we jump on some RR tracks and cross over on the RR Tresle.  Sunday before last the river was a little too high to cross so I did what I've done many times before which was cross over on the RR tressle. The center, in between the rails is bumpier than the sides due to the rocks being lower than the ties, so I like staying on the left side ties, which is about 2' wide. Even though the sides are less bumpy they are still rough, so I get it up into high gear around 30 to 40 mph to smooth things out. I can't remember whether I looked behind me to see if everyone was coming, which I doubt because it takes full concentration, but all of a sudden I found myself against the rail and falling into it. I remember thinking this is not good considering the speed I was going but I could do nothing to prevent it. The next thing I remember was asking what day it was after I woke up.

When I realized that there was no way to save it I did what I usually do and just turned into a rag doll.  What hit first was my whole right side at once, helmet, shoulder, arm, which was good to distribute the impact because it kept me from breaking my hand and arm. However, at the speed I was going, the heights of the ties, the rocks, spikes, and the other rail on the other side, it cracked my torso up like an egg, including several broken bones in my neck, back, ribs, collar bone, and shoulder.  Not to mention my arm looks like I survived a Shark attack.

While putting my bike up, Tim B. did find that I had a flat front tire, perhaps contributing to the crash. I never factord into the tresle crossing a mechanical condition occuring, however I will from now on, assuming I get another chance.  Better yet, I think I'll take my chances crossing the creek or Hwys. 51 and 61 on each end.   I've run it through my mind many times. Maybe had I turned into the rail as hard as I could. Maybe had I gotten on the brakes as hard as I could, or maybe had I jumped up and tried to clear the 2nd rail things would have turned out better. But, as we say on the roads, any MC crash that you live through is a good one.   You probably won't do it, because every MC racer thinks it can't happen to him.  But when you inject an unexpected mechanical condition while threading the eye of a needle the jaws of a RR landing strip can be a very hostle invironment.
Sr. Top Gun. (If it weren't for Billy)

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
Re: A word to fellow dare devils.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »
Glad to hear that you are relatively ok and sounds like you may heal well!  Could always be worse, like falling completely off the trestle, or meeting a train on it...before, during, or after your accident!  Things happen so fast when you translate your forward inertia into other unwanted energy directions!  I'll think differently now when someone says their bike "handles like it's on rails"!  Good Luck!

Offline Tom S

• MSTA Member
  • 901-568-9747
  • Primary Motorcycle: RC51, FZ6, VFR, naked PC, carbon-fiber 900RR and dirt bikes.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
Ha, ha...  Pretty clever!

Yeah, had I made it all of the way to the trestle things could have been much worse.  Had I rolled off the trestle after getting knocked out I could have drowned.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
While not walking away unscathed, or walking away at all, it sounds like it could have been much worse. Those edge traps are bad news, and I'm glad to hear you survived it.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
A word to fellow dare devils.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
Damn, that hurts... just reading about it! Hope you are on the mend soon!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Tom S

• MSTA Member
  • 901-568-9747
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
Thanks!  Each day is a little better.  Today is my first day off of the pain meds.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
Ouch, I try to avoid doing thinks like that, certainly not the daredevil type like some.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 12:57:04 AM »
Heal well Tom.