Author Topic: Rookie Question on DIY Tire Changes: Bar Code Sticker on the bead. Remove it?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Silverstreak

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2008 Honda VFR 800F
Greetings all,

I am a new member and have a rookie question about mounting new tires on my bike (VFR 800F). I've mounted tires before, in my younger days, but never had a bar code sticker on the bead before. My question: Do I leave the sticker on or take it off? Initially I was going to remove the sticker before mounting it but I wasn't getting a clean release / smooth surface on the bead when I picked at a corner on the sticker. I didn't want to use and wasn't sure if rubbing alcohol would harm the rubber. The sticker isn't super thick or anything, and seems like it may not be a sealing problem anyway. So, any ideas? Just trying to avoid a slow leak / messing up the rubber unnecessarily. It smells like they put the sticker directly on the bead for a reason, but I'm not registering why. Am I concerned over nothing?

Any help / feedback would be most welcome. Spring is coming late this year, I've got a few weeks before I need to pull the trigger.

Best regards,
Phil

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
I always remove it, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. There’s so much pressure on the tire when they are inflated that I doubt very seriously that any kind of leak would occur.
not all that wander are lost

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
Greetings all,

I am a new member and have a rookie question about mounting new tires on my bike (VFR 800F). I've mounted tires before, in my younger days, but never had a bar code sticker on the bead before. My question: Do I leave the sticker on or take it off? Initially I was going to remove the sticker before mounting it but I wasn't getting a clean release / smooth surface on the bead when I picked at a corner on the sticker. I didn't want to use and wasn't sure if rubbing alcohol would harm the rubber. The sticker isn't super thick or anything, and seems like it may not be a sealing problem anyway. So, any ideas? Just trying to avoid a slow leak / messing up the rubber unnecessarily. It smells like they put the sticker directly on the bead for a reason, but I'm not registering why. Am I concerned over nothing?

Any help / feedback would be most welcome. Spring is coming late this year, I've got a few weeks before I need to pull the trigger.
Best regards,
Phil

I always leave that sticker on the tire and have had no problem.
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
I have no experience mounting my own tires. Having said that, if you're set on removing the sticker, use a product like GOO-GONE. It's non-toxic and will remove all kinds of gummy labels. I used it to remove a huge body panel sticker on my 2001 VFR. The post crash replacement had the sticker - and the other side did not.
Good luck and ride easy.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline OSU55

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 800K+
  • Primary Motorcycle: KTM 1290 Super Duke, Suzuki Bandit 1250
Depends. Most of them I've had (I change 10-12 tires a year) that sticker is really adhered, and I just leave it. A few have been a bit "loose" and I removed them.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
I have always left them on.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950