Author Topic: Middlesboro Event September 16th - 18th  (Read 7154 times)

Offline boatanchor

• MSTA Member
  • Ridin' one road at a time
  • Lifetime Mileage: Who knows....Who cares
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2012 Super Tenere
Middlesboro Event September 16th - 18th
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »
Just for Fun Event – Middlesboro Kentucky – September 16th -18th
Back for the second year…..
Wouldn’t it be great if you could combine some of the great riding areas from two different STAR events and be able to enjoy them at a weekend Just for Fun Event? Well this September you can do just that! There will be a new Just for Fun Event in Middlesboro, Kentucky on the weekend of September 16th – 18th. The host hotel will be the Holiday Inn Express in Middlesboro, Kentucky. There are 20 double bed rooms that are available for the price of $99.95 plus taxes. These rooms will be held until July 18th at which time they will be released back to the public. If those rooms fill up with MSTA members before that time, there are also 15 more rooms with King bed rooms that are available on a first come first serve basis, but are not being held at this time. The hotel has a complimentary breakfast available and there are restaurants with walking distance in you so desire.
So now to the important thing, what about the riding in the area? Middleboro sits at the corners where Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee come together in an area known as the Cumberland Gap. Well, if any of you remember STAR 2011 in Johnson City TN and did any of the rides up to the Northwest, you probably rode some of the good local roads that are near Middlesboro.  For STAR 2013 in Lexington KY, if you rode to the Southeast you probably were on some more of the roads that are near the Middlesboro area. 
For places to visit and an all-day ride, you can head to Breaks Interstate Park that was the lunch ride destination for STAR 2011. The Cumberland Gap Park is located right next to Middlesboro and is interesting to tour. The small town of Rugby is a good lunch ride destination and the Area of Big South Fork is worth a ride thru. State route’s 31, 66 and 70 in Tennessee will provide you with plenty of curves.  For those that would like to leave paved surfaces occasionally there is Daniel Boone National Forest fairly close by and some coal mining roads that will help wet you appetite for a little Adventure. The normal weather that time of year is mid-forties in the morning with highs around 70 or so and the leaf colors should be near their prime that time of year.
What more could you ask for with a Just for Fun Event—well one thing….after ride adult beverages. If you desire anything like that after a day of riding you are not out of luck  . Middlesboro is no longer a dry county.
I hope to see as many MSTA riders as possible there. If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself or Pat Mogavero.
I will post more information on articles that appeared in motorcycle magazine regarding the riding in the area in the future.
Thanks,
Rick Giddish
MSTA East Tennessee State Director
East Tennessee State Co-Director

"My journey with you has been an adventure"

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Middlesboro Event September 16th - 18th
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
I found myself out of town working this week, but had hoped to make it back in time to run up the road to Middlesboro for some riding (60 miles north of my home in Knoxville, TN). Alas, I got back into town at near 1:45 this morning and still had to unload a truck of sound equipment and such. Finishing up around 2:30 a.m., I got home around 3:00 a.m., and that was definitely not conducive for getting up early to go riding. I slept until around 8:00 a.m., but should probably have turned over and gone back to sleep even then. I say that because I have been unable to stay awake for more than about an hour all day long. Every time I sat down, I fell asleep (which begs the question "Why did I sit down?") All of that is better than having fallen asleep while driving back from Florida yesterday.

I hope everyone had a great day during one of our association's extra-fine regional Just-For-Fun events. Rick Giddish has done an excellent job in selecting a beautiful location, and I'm sure the attendees were rewarded with some fantastic riding and fellowship.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Cook

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
I had not attended events in  a wnhile for a variety of reasons but made it to this one.  Really enjoyed it.  "Just for fun events" have a simple format that I really enjoy.

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
I had not attended events in  a wnhile for a variety of reasons but made it to this one.  Really enjoyed it.  "Just for fun events" have a simple format that I really enjoy.
^^^ This. Simple and easy.  Good friends gathering to ride in interesting places - just for fun.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 06:56:51 AM »
"Just for fun events" have a simple format that I really enjoy.
^^^ This. Simple and easy.  Good friends gathering to ride in interesting places - just for fun.

Isn't this what it's supposed to be all about?  I'd encourage and support a lot more events like this in every state.  Pick a site, pick a date, invite everyone and see who shows up.  Simple and easy is right.

Big thanks to Rick Giddish for setting this up and to everyone that showed up.
not all that wander are lost

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »
It was an excellent weekend of fun roads and outstanding people. Thanks, Rick!
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
Had a great time- good roads, good weather, and enjoyed seeing everyone.

Beat most of the rain Sunday morning by leaving at 6am. Encountered light rain above Livingston, caught a break, then had a bit heavier rain from south of Richmond to about 8 mi south of Lexington and that was it.

A big Tip of the Helmet goes to Rick Giddish and Pat Mogavero for putting the non-event together!

Norm Kern

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:01 PM »
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere