Author Topic: Better Batteries?  (Read 13401 times)

Offline Woovis

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '04 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
Better Batteries?
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
I've been buying/using WestCoBatteries.com batts for several years now but just had a second one let me down...

Any better sealed batteries out there? 

Could be just bad luck, I do use battery tenders, etc.
--
ride often, ride well...
-Woovis-

kaosbandit

Re: Better Batteries?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
I have been switching over to Alien Motion lithium batteries in my bikes. Its a different battery technology and chemistry so it has to be treated differently, but they have been great so far for me.

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
I used Shorai lithium ion (LiFePO4) batteries for quite a while.  If you are concerned about weight they are great, but have cold weather issues that you have to adjust to and they cost a LOT.  Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a battery at Wal-Mart.  If you think they have any type of warranty, think again, they don't.  My experience was they would start going bad at or about the end of one season.  I did have pretty good luck with Yuasa's but they are pricey too.
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
I've been very pleased with AGM batteries from Chrome Battery (http://www.chromebattery.com). Great prices with free 3 day shipping! I have them in 2 bikes and a PWC. All working great. The oldest is about 12 months so I can't comment on longevity.

Your motorcycle model may not be "indexed" tho. If not go to the power sports screen and find the configuration (size and capacity) needed.

FWIW I've read several places that li - ion batteries do no perform well when very cold. No personal experience however.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
I've been very pleased with the service and the products I have purchased at my local Batteries Plus store over the last few years.
not all that wander are lost

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
You asked for it so here's my .02 worth. I have been using DEKA batteries in several vehicles 2 wheeled and 4 for some time. Not a dealer everywhere but google is your friend.  In my ST1100 with occasional use of a Battery Tender it lasted 10 years. I think that's pretty good. It would still start the bike but the ABS is sensitive to low voltage.
I have use Walmart batteries with no issues from time to time.   TM

Offline banjobart

• Forum Member II
    • Bart Reiter Banjo Co.
  • Lifetime Mileage: 275,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2013 Ninja 1000
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
I use Bikemaster Trugel batteries and have good luck with them, they are cheap, too.
2013 Ninja 1000, 2013 CB1100
2011 GSX1250, 2013 Super Tenere

dr3miked

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:53:44 AM »
I have the Yuasa battery and never had any issues although its price is quite a bit more than the Westco.

SpeedRacerOnline

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
I've always been happy with Yuasa batteries, but this last time I decided to try a Chrome Pro. It's only been a couple months now, but it's worked flawlessly, has had no trouble on the couple 30F mornings already, and has an 18-month warranty for a great price. Plus, the one I got has a digital voltmeter built right on top of it, which is just cool & easier than hooking up test equipment when you're concerned about your charging system.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
Not trying to make a u-turn on this thread but any problems with cold weather starts on the lithium batteries? -JEP-

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 11:11:28 AM »
Not trying to make a u-turn on this thread but any problems with cold weather starts on the lithium batteries? -JEP-
Yes, but you need to know the drill.  Take a look at http://shoraipower.com/faq. The LiFePO4 batteries have a high internal resistance in cold weather. There is plenty of juice in the battery, getting it out is the problem.  Some people put a battery warmer around the battery, similar to a heated grip but one that doesn't have a high current draw.  Some people just leave the key on with the lights on for a few minutes on cold mornings. Sounds counter intuitive but like I said, it does have plenty of juice.  Advantages- very light weight, doesn't drain fast (no real need to leave on trickle charger).   Disadvantages- expensive and cold weather starts may not be instantaneous.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:16:04 AM by OldButNotDead »
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline banjobart

• Forum Member II
    • Bart Reiter Banjo Co.
  • Lifetime Mileage: 275,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2013 Ninja 1000
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
I use Bikemaster Trugel batteries, about $99 for most bikes on Ebay. I have never had a failure. It is important to use a battery Tender for long life.
2013 Ninja 1000, 2013 CB1100
2011 GSX1250, 2013 Super Tenere