Author Topic: TomTom Rider  (Read 21950 times)

Offline K Rider

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
Re: TomTom Rider
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »
On the road, following a route loaded into my Tomtom 5 from tyre. Wanting to search for a restaurant to eat at, go to that particular restaurant then after eating continue on with previous route. Can someone help me with the steps to do this?

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:15 AM »
I don't know the exact steps that TomTom requires, but here's what I do with my old Garmin StreetPilot...
With a route being followed, I do a search for a restaurant. When I've found a place that makes my mouth water, I can
a) Insert the location of that place into the route I'm currently following OR
b) Go directly to the restaurant as a new route.

Upon completing that mouth watering meal...
If I did option a), I continue my exisiting route as the restaurant was inserted.
If I did option b), I restart the original route and get back on that route in a manner that makes sense.

That may not be what you were asking at all, but it's sort of related.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
Most everyone in the club who uses GPS for traveling has a Garmin unit.  All the other brands only represent a tiny minority so "group knowledge" of how they work is sketchy at best.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »
Even within the Garmin models, if you're not using a Zumo you're going to have less luck getting help here.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 2450, and when following a route and searching for somewhere to eat once I select the location it asks how to use it, add to route, or just go there (similar to what Geoffrey said). I usually add to route then TRY to continue on my way afterward.

GPS are still just a tool, I try not to rely on them too much or they'll toss me off the road down a cliff (when the route is slightly off from what it thinks it should be). I'm more inclined to just start showing restaurants on the map and hope I can see them and then drive there without the GPS directing me. Trying to incorporate into the route just makes things harder.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline K Rider

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »
That's the nice thing about garmin. Easier to use, since that's what I'm use to. Hopefully I can figure this tomtom out. I really do like it but it's quite a bit different than the garmin. What u would do in a Garmin is not what u do in the Tomtom.