Author Topic: Fall Colors Is Upon Us!!  (Read 9347 times)

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
Room to be had!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 01:46:15 AM »
I have a single King room reserved that I no longer need. (I am still coming, just ended up with an extra room)

If anyone needs or wants it get a hold of me ASAP and we'll make arrangements to turn it over. I won't keep the room reserved past Saturday or Sunday in case a MSTA member wants it, but beyond that I'm letting it go. (I'm certain a concert attendee or one of the BMW car club members that will be in the area would like to snatch it up)

I'm not currently a user of Facebook so if someone could cross post this that would be great.

I'm in the BlueBook.

Jim Roberts
Coralville, IA

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"

Offline Ohiomsta

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 300,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT / 2018 Yamaha Xmax
Re: Fall Colors Is Upon Us!!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 10:38:35 PM »
Hotels crack me up. No rooms at the inn, then I call the hotel today and get a room and they said the had more available. Soooo, never give up, they seem to keep comming up with rooms. Then again I may end up sleeping in my truck😴
Jon
Jon Campbell Sr.
Finally, just a member

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 06:53:51 AM »
Hotels crack me up. No rooms at the inn, then I call the hotel today and get a room and they said the had more available. Soooo, never give up, they seem to keep comming up with rooms. Then again I may end up sleeping in my truck
Jon

Amazing! Syd even tried to get a room when I was trying and couldn’t... now they have rooms??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
It's related to cancellations and not creating rooms out of thin air!

They might also set aside several more rooms for the group when they see there is a demand. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:40:49 AM by DirtFlier »

Offline JimRRides

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: FJR 1300
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 02:12:12 AM »
The room reservation process is far more byzantine that most people know.

Their methods of room pricing, room availability and room holds (and hold-backs) sometimes makes sense only to the cooperate bean counter who governs the rules implemented to the franchise holders.

Sometimes they truly  are completely booked, and sometimes it isn't so certain.

I guess until I buy a hotel and start running it myself I'll just have to put up with it.

Yamaha FJR 1300, R1, R6, Zuma 125
Iowa State Director
Life Member
"Let's Move!"

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
I have a serious question to ask of the members! I've been doing Fall Colors for so long that I forget the official numbers! For the last couple of weeks, I've been assailed by help requests for room reservations for FC! There's a major country music concert in town this weekend, and rooms had been at a premium. We've done major wrangling to provide rooms for folks. Now that the event is here, I suddenly have found that we've had 15 ((THAT'S FIFTEEN) room cancellations just in the last several days?? For the hotel, that's no problem, cause there are plenty of concert goers to suck those up, but to me, please help me understand!? Perfect atmosphere here since my arrival on Wednesday! Best overall weather in the history of F/C. From what planet did these 15 cancellations come? I suspect that there may be some involvement with the folks from Michigan in this. I had been assured that a considerable number of the Michigan crowd would join us, since they were going farther south for their rally this year. Then I discovered that the Michigan crowd had reconsidered , and scheduled a rally here at the QI for next week, or the week after. No harm intended, buy I hope it rains like hell on their parade! If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I would really like to hear. If you discover that you will not be able to attend an event you've made a reservation for, cancel it right away. you may open a space for someone who really wants to come. If you're from Michigan, please call me at 804-721-3399 before you even bother to make a reservation. My personal problem is that those of us who attended have had GREAT conditions, good fellowship, and good riding. I'd hate to think anyone may have missed out because of things beyond their control. Thanks for enduring my rant! Syd

Touringman

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Syd I have no clue, but do know there was a guy from our group checking in Thursday when we got in, and at that time the hotel desk was still saying "we have no rooms for Saturday" and we know several others who came had to leave Saturday morning since they had no room that night.

Maybe some people double booked, or had a room for themselves then found one to share. Even then 15 rooms canceled for that event sounds like a lot.

I will say this, the hotel did not seem completely full with no vacancies. It is a large place, and with rooms both front and back and 2 stories you'd think the lots would be full with the number cars needed to fill up the rooms. Rich and I were around in the lot later at night (after 10) and lots of people were arriving from the concert, some of them a bit loud and carrying on. Maybe the rest arrived later, but it didn't seem full in the morning either.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650