Author Topic: Fall Colors Rally Cancelled for 2020  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Fall Colors Rally Cancelled for 2020
« on: August 07, 2020, 05:51:43 AM »
Syd Mayes has cancelled this event for 2020 due to the virus.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:46:03 AM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
Re: Cancelled for 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »
I'm assume the event being cancelled is FCR.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:50 AM »
You are correct.

If you want to make plans for attending an event during the remainder of this year, there are options. As of today, the following events ARE still happening.

This weekend is TwiSTAR in Wisconsin (you should probably already be on your way by now).

FlyBy Week starts August 24 and runs through the 30th in Marietta, OH.

September 11-13, you have 2 options...the Bull Shoals Rally is in Theodosia, MO AND Brick will be having a just-for-fun weekend at the Big Lynn Lodge.

October 9-11, the Arkanasas ByWay Boogie will be in Clarksville, AR.

Wrapping things up for the year on October 23-25 will be the Texas Hill Country Rally in Kerrville, TX.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
I'm assume the event being cancelled is FCR.

Well yes, since I wrote the piece in the Fall Colors subforum, that is a safe assumption.
🤪

Offline DRB

• MSTA Member
Re: Fall Colors Rally Cancelled for 2020
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »
Well damn this year has really sucked.  I guess we should all just be glad to be healthy and alive. >:( :'(

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:42:35 AM »
If you look at the forum calendar, you'll see folks listed who are having birthdays and, in many cases, their age. Look at those ages. The majority of them are in their 60s and 70s. The next biggest block is 40s and 50s.

It's not a surprise when one of our events gets canceled due to COVID-19 when the host/organizer is in one of the highest at-risk age brackets and most of the attendees will also be in that same age bracket. I'll admit I'm disappointed...I had hopes of attending FCR...but I understand completely why Syd made the decision.

At one of our events early in the year, i was pretty much the only person wearing a mask. I saw more masks in May, but it was far from universal. More masks appeared in June, and even more in July.
I intend to attend the FlyBy and I will still be wearing a mask. I know the arguments for and against doing so. I've not tested positive for the virus and if I thought for a microsecond I was, I wouldn't attend. But out of respect for my MSTA friends, I'll continue to wear a mask around folks that I don't see regularly. I'll sanitize my hands often and encourage others to do the same. I'll maintain as much distancing as reasonably possible and hope everyone else does too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:25:27 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
Syd, Sorry to hear it, but I understand.
I hope you and yours are well.

Steve
Steve

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 05:58:14 PM »
I'm with ya Geoffrey and the theme here is let's be flexible. We got a $@it show on our hands but let's make the most of it. Let's be considerate of our fellow members and others and have a good time. Let's be grateful we have damn motorcycles to ride and somewhere to ride them even if they are fewer and further between. We'll get past this and 2021 has just GOT to be better.
Syd-man, thanks for your efforts and take care.
Hang in there folks and see ya at the Fly-By.   TM

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »
Sorry Pat I missed that.  Are you still planning a second KY rally this year?
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
Sorry Pat I missed that.  Are you still planning a second KY rally this year?

😂😂😂.   No worries my friend, but you know I just had to give you a smart-ass answer, don’t ya?

No plans to do another KY rally this year.....I do think that now that college football games are getting cancelled, that I’ll probably go to Big Lynn Lodge the 2nd weekend of September.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 12:37:39 PM »
If you look at the forum calendar, you'll see folks listed who are having birthdays and, in many cases, their age. Look at those ages. The majority of them are in their 60s and 70s. The next biggest block is 40s and 50s.

It's not a surprise when one of our events gets canceled due to COVID-19 when the host/organizer is in one of the highest at-risk age brackets and most of the attendees will also be in that same age bracket. I'll admit I'm disappointed...I had hopes of attending FCR...but I understand completely why Syd made the decision.

At one of our events early in the year, i was pretty much the only person wearing a mask. I saw more masks in May, but it was far from universal. More masks appeared in June, and even more in July.
I intend to attend the FlyBy and I will still be wearing a mask. I know the arguments for and against doing so. I've not tested positive for the virus and if I thought for a microsecond I was, I wouldn't attend. But out of respect for my MSTA friends, I'll continue to wear a mask around folks that I don't see regularly. I'll sanitize my hands often and encourage others to do the same. I'll maintain as much distancing as reasonably possible and hope everyone else does too.
Well said as usual Geoffrey.  Even if I'm hanging around outside with a cold beer I think I will be wearing a mask and can lower it to drink occasionally.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650