Author Topic: 2016 Tellico Plains TN Fall Event JFF  (Read 36508 times)

rideandfly

Re: 2016 Tellico Plains TN Fall Event JFF
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
10/19 All cabins/RV sites are rented at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground for this weekend, 10/21 to 10/23!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:22:07 PM by rideandfly »

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
10/19 All cabins/RV sites are rented at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground for this weekend, 10/21 to 10/23!!!!!!

And many tenting and some lodging at Red Roof Inn at Etowah!  A large number of dual sporters set to be there!
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

rideandfly

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 10:47:14 PM »
And many tenting and some lodging at Red Roof Inn at Etowah!  A large number of dual sporters set to be there!

That's great!!!!!!!

The weather forecast highs 60s Friday & Saturday, and 70s Sunday. Looking forward riding Tellico Plains area!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:58:42 PM by rideandfly »

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 02:45:53 AM »
While that silly stuff called "work" got in the way of spending the day riding with the guys that came to Tellico Plains for the weekend, I did make the trek down to the campground late this afternoon to say hello. It was nice to see some familiar faces and also meet some folks whose names I'd seem but hadn't met.

From Tellico Plains to Robbinsville, NC, it's 50+ miles of grins and good pavement on the Cherohala Skyway (and then just a few more miles up to Deal's Gap). If your tendencies lean toward the dusty side of things, there's more than enough fun in the area for plenty of good weekends. I got to meet fine fellow RideAndFly (Bill) today, and I hope he keeps doing this gathering.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »
Wish I could be down there this weekend...but unfortunately I can't do them all.  If anyone starts complaining that we don't have ENOUGH events throughout the year, I think it would be time to have their sanity checked. LOL

:)

Hope everyone has a great time and a safe time too!
not all that wander are lost

rideandfly

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
We had 20 folks attending the gathering!!!!!!! Great to see old friends and met many new friends, too. The weather was fine along with very nice fall colors. The campground staff were very hospitable, too! 

Geoffrey enjoyed meeting you, too!!! Patmo, hopefully will meet you at one of the future events. 

Took several photos, so will upload in the MSTA Tellico Plains Smugmug gallery tomorrow.

Here's shot of a group at the campground heading out on a ride today:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:25:29 PM by rideandfly »

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
It was excellent!  Thanks for organizing Bill!
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

rideandfly

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:24 PM »
It was excellent!  Thanks for organizing Bill!

Jim,   Thanks!!!!!!

It was my pleasure and enjoyed seeing you again, too!

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2016, 06:52:12 AM »
It sounds like this was a complete hit!
We don't have many camping style events.
Should the MSTA consider promoting more events of this type? -JEP-

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »
It sounds like this was a complete hit!
Well it was "sorta" camping.  As far as I know no one slept in a tent.  We we all in rustic cabins or some kind of RV. But quite a few members have RVs now.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »
Had I been able to stay for the whole weekend rather than just stopping by one evening, I would have probably pitched a tent (set up...not thrown away). But I dare say I might have gotten a bit chilly. From what I heard, there was a good frost Saturday morning. But the historic average temperatures for the 3rd week of October are lows in the mid 40s and highs near 70. I'd consider those very good conditions for both riding and camping.

Going back to STAR when it was in Nashville, IN, we had a big contingent of tent campers, and it was a was a wonderful social experience. I was so taken with the idea, I decided to camp the next year in Avon (1995). That was a little different situation, and I think I was the only person camping that year.

I had checked the box on the registration form that I wanted camping info, but it never came. When I checked in at the event registration, I asked about camping. I remember the person at registration looking at me rather wide-eyed and in total disbelief. That person sent me to a hotel staffer who recommended going to the National Forest Service office in Vail which is 10 miles east of Avon. There, I got info about camping and I went to Gore Creek which was another 5 miles east (total of just over 15 miles from Avon). It was the nearest campground but turned out to be a delightful experience of a different kind from Nashville, IN. I said I was the only person at STAR camping, and I was nearly the only person camping at that campground as well. There was one other site taken my first night, but they left the next day leaving the campground completely to me for the rest of the week. There was a wonderful rushing creek running through the campground (Gore Creek I'd venture), and I went to sleep each night to the white noise sound of water rushing from the melting snowy mountain tops downwards towards the Colorado River.

Every morning I rubbed the frost off the seat of the bike and rode the 15 chilly miles to Avon to potentially meet other riders. I mostly rode by myself that week, but fellow Tennessean Trey Hall was kind enough to offer me his room to shower with hot water (not available at the campground).

Those 2 events were quite different experiences, but I enjoyed both. I've been moto-camping ever since and enjoying the heck out of it.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

rideandfly

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »

Jim,

Promoting events of this type around the nation should be considered.  Believe younger
sport & DS riders would be interested, too.

During July & August in North Carolina, there are campgrounds over 3500' elevation that have
pleasant temperatures and plenty of DS/twisty riding when temps are in the 90s in lower elevations.
Cabins at the Tellico Plains gathering were $50 per night that accommodate two people,
RV campsites $25 per night, and $10 per night per person tent camping.

rideandfly

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »

Well it was "sorta" camping.  As far as I know no one slept in a tent.  We we all in rustic cabins or some kind of RV. But quite a few members have RVs now.

Jim,

We're getting set up to transport our motorcycle in the back of the pickup while towing our travel trailer.  Stayed in a cabin during this event since I'm not quite set up to transport the motorcycle while camping, yet.

rideandfly

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »

I had checked the box on the registration form that I wanted camping info, but it never came. When I checked in at the event registration, I asked about camping. I remember the person at registration looking at me rather wide-eyed and in total disbelief. That person sent me to a hotel staffer who recommended going to the National Forest Service office in Vail which is 10 miles east of Avon.

Those 2 events were quite different experiences, but I enjoyed both. I've been moto-camping ever since and enjoying the heck out of it.

Geoffrey,

We hope to attend some future MSTA events while camping with our travel trailer. Have some friends that love to moto-camp.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:33:07 AM by rideandfly »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
Hell yes the club should promote mc camping just ask them to have a little cabin for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650