Author Topic: Sale on Sena 20S Units  (Read 8723 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Sale on Sena 20S Units
« on: December 29, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
FYI/FWIW - The Helmet Shop has a really good price on the Sena 20S units right now. -JEP-
http://www.helmetshop.com/Sena-Bluetooth-Headsets

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
  • It AIN'T the destination, it IS the RIDE!
Re: Sale on Sena 20S Units
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
Jim,
That's a great price.  I shopped all over just before Christmas and $411 was about as low as it got; however,
I just got mine for $399 from RevZilla.  They actually had it listed for the same price as the Helmet Shop about $411 but they price matched Motorcycle Superstore's $399.   The good news is you get $30 in Zilla Cash toward your next purchase and shipping is free. What I like best about RevZilla is that if you find a lower price ANYWHERE on ANYTHING they carry they will match it usually with free shipping and Zilla Cash.  I'm pretty sure they will be my source for tires.

Oh, I forgot, their customer support is great and they have demo videos on line.

Rod 

P.S. - Love the 20S.  Might be able to figure out all it does in 10 or 20 years.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:48:57 PM by OldButNotDead »
Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:07:14 PM »
That's a great price and Revzilla is a good place to buy! The 20's were recently priced at $549 but were once on sale at $485. I ordered mine today but hope they get lower for others. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gee-Tee

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2022 BMW R 1250 RT
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
Helmets, even full face helmets are noisy. How is the sound from these speakers? Do most wear earplugs and turn the volume way up to hear the speakers?
I wear in the ear fitted wired headset and cannot imagine these speakers surpassing the sound quality I achieve although I do like the bluetooth aspect. Can
the batteries last for a 700 mile ride? How long does it take to fully recharge the batteries?
2022 BMW R 1250 RT
2021 HD Pan America 1250
Deo Vindice

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 06:31:55 AM »
I've been using my Sena for years and live it. I use the 32db ear plugs. Battery lasts all day and I don't know how long it takes to recharge as I just plug it in at night and use it in the morning.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:51:51 AM »
What Brick said!  I was concerned about the speakers too.  Used to use Entymotic ER6 ear buds, can't beet them for sound; however, the 20S speaks are right up there with them.  I used custom ear plug and am not sure I need them.  Probably do to cut back on the wind noise because some comes through, but it is minimal.  You do NOT have to go full volume.  20S has BT 4.0 so battery life is much better than older models.  There is a review on Revzilla that answers specific questions like battery life.  Riding all day is no problems, charge while riding works, 2.5 hours for full charge.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:04:01 AM »
[...Can the batteries last for a 700 mile ride?...]

I believe that's related to how much the unit is being used during that ride.  Lots of chatter will probably drain the battery faster.   

Offline OldButNotDead

• Forum Member III
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-20s-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack
That site has all the specs and a video.   There is a comparison chart that says 10-13 hrs on time, I think that means but not sure, 10-13 hrs FM, intercomm and/or MP3/cell.  10 days of standby time.  If you really want to know in a hurry, call RevZilla. They actually have real people in Philadelphia, not Timbuktu, who know how this thing works.

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Helmets, even full face helmets are noisy. How is the sound from these speakers? Do most wear earplugs and turn the volume way up to hear the speakers?

I've been using the Sena SMH-10 for nearly four years until I upgraded to the 20S this summer. I find that the newer set's speakers sound better than the older ones, perhaps due to improved electronics. However, since the beginning I've been using Klipsch S3 noise-isolating earbuds (bought from Amazon for less than $40) inside my Schuberth C3 modular helmet. They reduce the wind and other external noises by about 10 dB but still allow me to hear horns, sirens or carry on a conversation at a gas pump as long as they don't speak too softly.  The audio quality of the Klipsch earbuds is surprisingly good, at least to my 67-year-old ears. I like to listen to smooth jazz music from SiriusXM while riding. The music is quite clear and I can easily understand the nav directions from my Zumo 665. The build quality of these earbuds is surprisingly good and I've been using the same set for around 70K miles of touring these past two years without wire breakage. I've only needed to replace the oval ear-tips a few times.

On occasional short trips, I don't bother with the earbuds and just use the speakers from my 20S. Noises from wind, engine and exhaust are then much louder, but I can still hear the music and directions, just not nearly as clearly.

I wear in the ear fitted wired headset and cannot imagine these speakers surpassing the sound quality I achieve although I do like the bluetooth aspect.

The quality of your hearing may be better than mine, but I find the sound quality through the Bluetooth link from my Zumo to my Sena headsets to be quite good, discounting any ambient noises. It's also extremely convenient to remain in Bluetooth intercom communication with other riders while at gas stops, etc. despite moving away from the bikes.

Can the batteries last for a 700 mile ride? How long does it take to fully recharge the batteries?

I haven't often ridden 700 miles in one trip, but the Sena 20S does last longer than my SMH-10 did, unless I've neglected to recharge it fully, perhaps 10-12 hours. If the battery does run out too soon, I can plug the cigar-lighter power adapter in and recharge the Sena while continuing along normally. Plugged into the AC adapter, it recharges surprisingly quickly. In perhaps an hour or two the red charging light turns blue to indicate fully charged.

Over the years the batteries in my SMH-10 headsets gradually degraded and wouldn't last but about six hours or so, instead of around nine when new. They take perhaps five hours to recharge from the AC charger. I initially bought the dual pack of SMH-10 units to have an extra as a spare or in case I wanted to loan one to someone I was riding with for a while. Now I have two spares...

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
I've been using an SMH10 just for the last year or so, and it was VERY useful on my trip to Alaska since Randy Logan was equally equipped. Alas, I ran it down one day and was using it while plugged in. That works, but it went down hill when I dismounted the bike without unplugging. I yanked and distorted the plug, and now I can't recharge it.

With that being the case, I decided to upgrade to the 20S. But since I really like to support my local shops, I asked if they could match the $411 price. Their reply was that they'd need to do it as a cash/check sale rather than losing another x% to a credit card company, but they would do it.  I wouldn't have been offended if they'd said no, and I made sure they knew that.

I consider this a win-win situation. I got a good deal and my local dealer made a sale, albeit with a low margin, for which they got paid before even ordering the item.

The 20S seems to be better in most every way and I'm looking forward to using it.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.