Author Topic: Riding During Coronavirus  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
Riding During Coronavirus
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
I received this message from Twisted Road.  I have seen some states that allow riding and some that don't.  Here is something that may help you decide.  Check out twistedroad.comedRo
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:54:50 PM by Ride4MS »
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Riding During Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:43:05 PM »
I was discussing some things I've noticed while out doing some riding during the crisis. For the most part I'm abiding by the stay at home order, but I need some exercise and just walking around the block isn't enough, and it also doesn't help my mental health. Going to the parks for walks and hikes is a regular thing for me, so without other normal parts of my life (office work with a group of 25+ people, church, gym, etc) I'm alone and tired of being at home by myself. Just being out of the house, seeing other people maybe having a casual chat etc. helps my mental wellness. Toss in some time in the saddle and I can go from bad to great quite easily.

The first couple of rides were just in the local park systems here in Northeast Ohio, I can ride from my home in Akron to Cleveland area, then east or west all in park areas, with lighter traffic, lots of green space and plenty of places to take a break, maybe even a nice walk or hike. This is a real treat and something I've usually done in spring as I start the riding season and shake off the rust. Even in the parks though, some roads and areas are closed. Large picnic shelters are closed, so people don't congregate and have a big party. Some trash cans and other benches/tables have also been removed, and some bathrooms were closed. That part changed after a bit, some park systems brought in portable bathrooms which are serviced by the company they contract with. In many cases these are placed right where other bathrooms had been closed, so people are familiar with the location.

Yesterday was the first day I went out for a more normal ride, but even that was one where I planned not to go far, my usual point of "where the good roads start" was actually my turn around point. I was gone about 6 hours, rode 125 miles, had a nice lunch, a hike and some time just sitting and taking in the large park I was in. I didn't need gas, as I left home with a full tank, and generally that will be my goal but gassing up at a station just means making sure I wash/sanitize my hands after. I carry something with me in case I need it.

I packed a lunch for all these rides, but many fast food places are open, and most gas station convenience stores are also open, so you don't have to pack your own food. I even saw a nice restaurant was open, they have a bakery next door and I almost stopped in for some desert, but was still too full.

Now regarding the pros/cons picture, that is something I did discuss with a few fellow riders, and I was considering meeting one of them for a short ride. So to those points
Pros - definitely agree with all of those, even on my park rides which are mostly 30-40MPH with some decent curves, just being on the bike putting along made me feel great, lifting days of stress.

cons - I disagree with several of them, some based on my own experience
- no group riding - it can be done, the fewer the better, 2-3 riders total (many in MSTA ride in groups this small normally), when stopped keep your distance, communicate through hand signals or talk with helmets on and visors down. If stop for a meal break, opposite ends of a picnic table.
- can't stop for food or coffee - many places are still open, you just need to eat/drink outside, I even did that recently in my car when I got some carryout and it would be cold by the time I got home, so I ate in the lot

Others I fully agree with, especially that an accident (like it or not more risk on a bike, a fender bender is a bone breaker) can put a strain on the health care system, as well as maybe putting you at risk as you come in contact with all these health care --professionals. Even a minor tip over could cause injury, or require some sort of assistance from others. To combat that I tried to be more careful riding, and also carry all my stuff to help myself if I have an issue (air compressor, tire repair kits, tools, battery jumper, etc.)

The part about less traffic and people driving faster, yes both others and potentially yourself as a rider. I was in one area of a park, didn't see any traffic around, opened up the bike, exhaust note howling, then I noticed I'm crossing a spot where bridal trail crosses the road, I look to my right as I go by and this poor rider is struggling to control the horse, I felt like a jerk and usually know better to watch for these areas. I also had a couple of near incidents with traffic, some I contributed too.

I know that one early stay at home order for the San Francisco area specifically prohibited motorcycle rides, I presume they meant for pleasure, since they are legal forms of transportation I don't think they could outlaw them for that purpose. In Ohio I don't believe they've specifically prohibited that kind of activity, though the spirit of the stay at home order would include no trips outside your home that are not essential. That would include pleasure drives in your car, or on a motorcycle. But I know people are doing it, and I see the crowds at some parks on nice days, I doubt that is the closest park for everybody there.

If you made it to the end, thanks for listening to my ramblings, I'm doing a lot of that now. Just ask anybody that calls me for any reason, or people I see in the neighborhood, I'm starved for human contact and will talk your ear off.

Missing all my riding buddies, hope to see some of you this year at an event.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »
The weather has been great here (until todays tstorm that I almost got caught in) and I have been riding almost everyday since the stay at home order. Ours specifically encouraged people to go for walks or ride bicycles buo mention of motorcycles. I rode my bicycle 21 miles and the Concours 52. There is very litte traffic in the rural area I live and ride in even under normal circumstances.
Super low polulation density. East Baton Rouge parish is now the highest pop since Katrina at 445,000 (used to be Orleans!). I live in nearby West Felciana Parish which is about the same size geographically but has only 15000. and I think that included the 5000+ inmates of Angola, the states largest maixumum security prison. We have a lot more cows than humans, LOL.

On Saturday I planned to ride with some track day friends most of whom ride only track. When they were late for the meetup spot I didnt wait for them and just rode my own ride. Was a good decision. Turns out they had a group of 14 mostly youngsters, not who I need to be hanging out with, being in two high risk categories.

This covid thing is serious. I understand the concept of not overtaxing our hospital resources but I monitor the numbers every day. There has so far been plenty of ICU beds and ventilator surpluses in the area. Neverthesless I am riding no more than 6 or 7 tenths vs my typical 7 or 8.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:41 PM »
Conditions do vary from area to area.  It appears to me that the areas with higher population density and/or an older population are where most of the problems are.

I can only relate that here in KY we have done over 50,000 tests and have only 4375 confirmed cases.  Of those confirmed cases, only 1300 have required hospitalization, and currently there is only slightly over 300 people in the hospital.  Of those 300, 175 are in the ICU.  These are STATEWIDE numbers, not for just one city.  Fully 25% of the cases involve people in nursing homes, and they also make up 40% of the people that have died.  We actually have more confirmed recoveries than we have had confirmed hospitalizations. So, while I didn’t do much riding during the first few weeks of the pandemic, I’m not really concerned anymore about overloading of the hospital system. Therefore I will now ride as much as I can, but I plan on doing most of it right here in KY.

Everyone should do what they feel is right for themselves, the people around them, and the area that they are in.  In addition, we should not judge others decisions based on the conditions we find around ourselves. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:52:39 AM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
We had a group out riding yesterday. but nothing planned for several more days now (maybe short solo rides). NinjaBob mentioned riding at a slightly reduced pace, and that's pretty much what our group has been doing...not that we're ever running at full throttle. Yesterday we had several guys on 1200/1250 BMW GSs, a 650GS, a KTM 950, Kawasaki Versys, and me on my beater DR650S (with its low 30s horsepower). I like riding with these guys. I always get great fuel economy. Yesterday, in about 350 miles, I averaged, 61.6 mpg. Heck, I've got a big tank on the bike, and if I'd filled it up just before starting, I could have made the whole trip without stopping to add fuel. Now that's social distancing.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »

I think the Pro/Cons list was made as a universal chart.  I agree, many things are different for different parts of the country, or world.

I have found that many gas stations in Minnesota have hand sanitizer right at the pumps.  That is nice to be able sanitize before even getting back in the vehicle, if driving a car.

I have seen the speeds faster for cars on the roads lately, and was wondering if it was my imagination or true.  Well, the TV News a few days ago said that people are driving faster, on the average, than a few months ago.  When they asked the drivers, they were puzzled that there was still cops on the roads with the Virus.  Leave it to the Stupid people to think up that one.

I saw on another posting that Arkansas, is one state that does not allow you to check into a hotel if you have out of state license plate.  Apparently they are trying to keep the bikers out of the state.

Of course, everything that I just typed, could be out of date by the time I send it, as things are starting to loosen up.  Minnesota announced yesterday, that up to 100,000 non-essential workers could go back to work to do.

I also saw on the World news a few days ago, that New Zealand had a very tight shut down and a few days ago, only had one new case of the Virus, in one day.  That is great for a whole country.

Then in France, a friend sent me a note last week, they need to stay inside, except for once a week to get groceries. Then they need a date and time stamp newspaper to take with them to show the Police that they have only been out of the house a certain amount of time.  He said he is either sleeping in bed, or sitting on his couch, in his apartment.  Now that would not be fun.

Meanwhile, my wife and I took delivery of two new GT500 Mustangs.  She has the Red, mine is Blue  Both have same build date, April 19, 2020, making them very collectible.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »
Love the Mustangs. Good one.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:07 AM »
Yes New Zealand is having some great success, but then they're a lot different from the US, or countries in Europe, or even Australia. An island nation of less than 5 million people, with few large metro areas (2 largest around 400K). Even Australia (another island nation) has 5 times that and some very large metro areas (Sydney and Melbourne are both over 4 million, so almost as much as New Zealand).

Did not realize it was that strict a lockdown in France, sounds closer to what China was doing.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
We've been under a stay at home order for about a month now. Not that I think I would have any exposure to the virus I stayed at home and haven't ridden. Last Wednesday at midnight Palm Beach County partially lifted the order opening up golf courses, public pools and golf courses with certain social distancing guidelines. I figure if it's okay to go play golf then it's okay to ride! So planning on riding this weekend with a couple of buddies. We don't have any breakfast or lunch stops planned of course and will observe social distancing but really looking forward to getting out and riding! -JEP- 

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 09:49:50 AM »
Kurt Brohman was a member of the MSTA for several years and, I think, last attended STAR 2014 in Rapid City, South Dakota. He actually had a heart attack on the way to South Dakota, and his riding time since then has been greatly curtailed.
I got a message from his wife a week or so back that Kurt was in the hospital on a respirator due to COVID. With his heath background, he was probably always a high risk. He was taken out of isolation a few days ago, but remained on life support. He passed away yesterday. He and his wife were/are not vaccinated.
Without it becoming a political discussion, I encourage everyone to thoughtfully consider being vaccinated. It may not stop a person from contracting COVID, but it apparently cuts down on the overall infection rate and the severity of symptoms. Naturally, if you have other health issues, everything has to be considered in the total picture.

I hate losing another riding friend.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss, Geoffrey.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »
Covid is not a political discussion-it is a pubic health discussion!
Thanks for stepping up Geoffrey
Steve