Author Topic: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
« on: December 24, 2023, 10:52:51 PM »
Hello Everyone,
We had a 52F day today. But, with rain. Yesterday when we were driving to the Minneapolis area, we saw 2 cycles on the road in this warmer than normal weather.
I have always said that I had not ridden a cycle in November or December since I was in the US Army at Ft. Bliss, TX. But, several years ago we rode in November and this year we took a trip to Winona for a day in early November. Hopefully southern MN doesn't turn into a Texas winter with no snow.
Hey, they did have snow the first year that I was in El Paso, and they don't know how to drive in it.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone!
Carl
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 08:44:53 AM »
Thank you Carl, And best Wishes to everyone here on the forum and elsewhere.  For the record I got a small ride in yesterday here in SW Ohio just so I can say I did. But also to keep them carbs on my "vintage" ST cleared out. It did feel Really good to ride if only about 15 miles.
Ride safe everyone and let's a have a better New Year than last.    TM

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 12:23:01 PM »
Yippee-kai-ay, MSTAers!
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 08:29:50 AM »
Heck, we are tough here in South Florida as we ride in December all the time!
Of course, if it gets clear down to 52 degrees we stay home! ;)
Happy New Year MSTAers! -JEP-

Offline tunerider335

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2021 BMW r1250 GS
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 09:51:43 AM »
Hello Everyone,
We had a 52F day today. But, with rain. Yesterday when we were driving to the Minneapolis area, we saw 2 cycles on the road in this warmer than normal weather.
I have always said that I had not ridden a cycle in November or December since I was in the US Army at Ft. Bliss, TX. But, several years ago we rode in November and this year we took a trip to Winona for a day in early November. Hopefully southern MN doesn't turn into a Texas winter with no snow.
Hey, they did have snow the first year that I was in El Paso, and they don't know how to drive in it.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone!
Carl
Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
2021 BMW r1250 gs
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »
Sad time in Minnesota for those snow related activities. They had made some snow on the ski hills and some cross country routes. Also the Ice Castles are gone. But, the 50+ degrees the past few days and over 2 inches of rain the past two days ruined all of that until it gets cold, down to 30F later this week.
If that had been snow, it would have been over 15 inches. Just what many Minnesotans want this time of year, especially the businesses that make their money when it snows, such as ski resorts and the snow removal companies.
 We did not have a White Christmas!
Grass is getting green, and if this keeps up, we will need to mow before Spring.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 04:44:16 PM »
Well I'm late to this thread..so...I'll just say..

Wishing a very...

Happy & Healthy New Year to all!  :trink39:
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 05:30:47 PM »
Thanks Marty, better late than never.   TM

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »
In the spirit of "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year", I'm pleased to say I sneaked out a couple of weekends back and rode out to our local Rider Ed training site (a magnificent 46 mile round trip). I'm doing some of the computer entry work for them and they needed a certificate with an updated name. I walked out to the driveway with my car keys expecting to drive. But it was in the upper 50s and sunny as I stood next to the garage doors. So I went back inside, put on my gear, opened the garage door, and pushed whatever was the closest bike to the door outside. It's been almost 6 months since starting anything. Keeping the batteries charged has never been an issue before, but I guess it is now. After a somewhat labored crank, the bike (2007 BMW F650GS Dakar) started and ran. I'll take it! After a quick inspection, I rode it out to the school, dropped off the new certificate, and rode back home. It felt good and solid and I had no problems holding the bike up when stopped for traffic lights, etc.
Now I'm looking forward to riding in 2024 with some of my MSTA family. My vintage 1980 Suzuki GS450 was trashed in my incident, but I have stuff to ride. The week before the incident, I had committed to the purchase of a 1993 BMW K75S from a friend here in town that has given up riding. The K75S has been on my short list of desirable BMWs for a long time, but this one is a beauty with only 16,000 miles. And the previous owner had it completely serviced so that its new owner could start riding right away. Well, I haven't ridden it yet, but my good friend, Roger White, from here in Knoxville, has. He declared it ready to go and now so am I. The K75S is actually living in Roger's garage right now, but I hope to have it come home soon. But even prior to that, back in April, I happened to be walking through my local Honda dealership and noticed they had a used 2019 NC750X. Not a powerhouse of a bike (but gets great fuel economy), but it was accessorized smartly with less than 10,000 miles. I called them a couple of days later, made a near-insulting low offer, and they took it. And now it's waiting to be ridden more as well.

I'm getting out and walking pretty much every day now from 1/2 to 2+ miles. My wife mentioned that she had prepared herself mentally to accept that it might be a couple of years (or never) before that happened, so she's ok with the idea of me riding since I'm making acceptable progress. I have promised myself that I'd get back into riding gradually, and would prefer to ride with someone else for a while on any kind of long trip. We'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:25:16 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 07:27:24 PM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!
That is great news!!!! Glad to hear you’re back on two wheels and enjoying the ride.
See you at STAR? -JEP-

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 07:58:23 PM »
Geoffrey, We are glad to hear that you were able to ride and walk and that you have that positive attitude, and that you are going to progress slowly so that you don't have any problems, or disappointments in a slow progress.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 762166
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 09:21:47 AM »
That is awesome news Geoffrey!
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 11:37:37 AM »
Great news Geoffrey!
2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X
19753Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 12:02:36 PM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!
That is great news!!!! Glad to hear you’re back on two wheels and enjoying the ride.
See you at STAR? -JEP-

Absolutely at STAR if not before. I may not be up to a trip to Kerrville in 2 days like I've done in the past, but 3 or 4 days might be manageable. Or maybe I'll trailer a bike down there...we'll see.

Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 12:28:36 PM »
Thanks...and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to us all!
Geoffrey Greene