Author Topic: FYI - Motorcycle Consumer News goes belly UP!  (Read 4644 times)

Offline e024576

• MSTA Member
FYI - Motorcycle Consumer News goes belly UP!
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:38:09 PM »
Received notice in the mail today, but it is also online - see below.
http://www.mcnews.com/

I was a subscriber for 20+ years.  Big loss for me as I also gave a couple a MCN subscriptions as Christmas gifts last year.

Paul Reisinger

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: FYI - Motorcycle Consumer News goes belly UP!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
I got the same letter today too. I'm steaming' and really bummed. Sad news indeed. Best mag I get. I had been reading it for longer than that dating back to Road Rider magazine, it's predecessor. I also gave gift subscriptions to a few buds.
A sign of the times I guess they are a changing'. If you know the Bob Dylan song I refer to than you may be swept out the door with this luddite.  :^)   TM

Offline GoVFR

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 15 Honda VFR Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
I, too, am disappointed and have been gifting MCN for years starting back in the bargain days when the gift subscription was half-price. You knew trouble was brewing when that bonus feature disappeared a couple years ago - not to mention the most-excellent Dave Searle stepping down as editor.
Sad.
Dan
GoVFR
GoVFR
MSTA #12407

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
Guess I was lucky that I hadn't renewed recently. I was doing my subscription thru Amazon, got their reminder it was expiring and forgot to renew. Then I came across the reminder again, and found my subscription had already lapsed. Since I still had a few issues to finish I figured I'd just wait and maybe renew again in the future.

Great magazine, some of the tech articles were out of my comfort zone but still interesting. And their products of the month that used to be featured on the back cover, I've bought several of them over the years.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline 305940

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
I became a subscriber back when it was still Bob and Patti Carpenter's ROAD RIDER Magazine. Easily my favorite Moto magazine. two of the many new bikes I have bought over the years were bought based on their reviews of it without even as much as sitting on them! Sad to see it go
I ride Motorcycles, Not bandwagons"

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I was as well. But what really made me mad was that I'd just renewed for another year less than a month earlier. They'd been sending reminder after reminder by snail mail and email...and I finally renewed. And then got nothing for it. Their news release indicated that subscriptions could be refunded after all secured debt was paid off. HA! Kiss your subscription good by!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:21 PM »
I was as well. But what really made me mad was that I'd just renewed for another year less than a month earlier. They'd been sending reminder after reminder by snail mail and email...and I finally renewed. And then got nothing for it. Their news release indicated that subscriptions could be refunded after all secured debt was paid off. HA! Kiss your subscription good by!
I did the same thing but found out they never cashed my check so I wasn't out anything. 
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com