Author Topic: Exploring Western Kentucky Parks cont........  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Exploring Western Kentucky Parks cont........
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »
The system we have here only allows so many photos per post.....

I continued on after reaching Ben Hawes, heading west to Hendersonville...the former home of John James Audubon and a state park located on land where he did many of his drawings.  He resided here from 1810 to 1819, when Hendersonville was a frontier village.  The park opened in 1934 and the museum was opened in 1938.  These buildings are beautiful!  Built by the CCC at a cost of 500,000 dollars it is now on the National Register of Historic Places.

photo 1....the road sign

photo 2...the welcome center

photo 3...the museum

At this point I took a short break to figure out the rest of the day.  Heading this far west meant that I had moved from the eastern time zone to the central, and had picked up an hour of time.  I also checked the weather forecast on my smart phone and saw that now heavy rain storms where expected to come into the area by Wednesday afternoon.  Looking at my map, I decided that if I changed my route and skipped the ferry's at Cave-in-Rock and Hickman, I could possibly get ALL the stops done today, and miss the rain.  However, since the temps where forecasted to reach the mid 90's by late afternoon, I would have to pay attention to making sure I got enough water and took breaks.  Didn't want to risk overdoing it.  Next stop....Mineral Mound State park

photo 4....the sign, the golf course is in the background.

Mineral Mound is located on the shores of Lake Barkley.  It is named after the mansion which formerly stood on the property.  It has a boat ramp, golf course, and picnicking area. It has 541 acres.

Leaving this park, I headed west across the bridge and into the "land between the lakes".  This area is a unique natural land rise that lies between the Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley.  Noted for its camping and fishing opportunities, it is national park land.  There is one road that runs from one end to the other called
"the trace". It runs from the northern edge of Kentucky all the way down into middle Tennessee.  My route took me across the northern edges of the lakes going west, and back across the central sections, heading east.

photo 5.....my next stop was Kentucky Dam Village, a "resort" park on the northern edge of the lake.  Resort parks in Kentucky almost always include a lodge with pool, cabins, golf courses, play areas, camp grounds, and other such things for people to enjoy while on vacation.  Family friendly, but also good for a couples getaway.  The sign....

photo 6....the lodge

more to follow....sleepy time now!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:07:18 PM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost