Author Topic: Lithium Battery charging info.  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Tom S

• MSTA Member
  • 901-568-9747
    • http://www.sullivanhomeplans.com
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: RC51, FZ6, VFR, naked PC, carbon-fiber 900RR and dirt bikes.
Lithium Battery charging info.
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:38:57 PM »
If you have been running those wonderful, lightweight Lithium Batteries in your bike(s) but have not cranked one of your bikes in a while, this may be of interest to you.  This is an exchange from the Shorai Lithium Battery Co. rep.  (read it from the bottom up).

Sent: Monday, June 05, 2017 2:38 PM
To: 'Tom Sullivan'
Subject: RE: Inquiry from Shorai Lithium Batteries

It can be normal.  If it is an LFX09 that is only 3Ah battery and the charger is 2A.  The LFX14 (if you have it, is 4Ah).  Sometimes it may be a bit cold at first (if applicable) it can be sluggish and not really as low in voltage as one may think so it takes less time to charge.  It always appears like it is low when you check with a volt meter and then, bam, it is fine when you charge it.  The fact that it didn’t start the bike at first is a bit alarming but… What I would do, though, is charge it, then let it sit for 3 days not connected to the bike or on store (if you can stand it) and see if it drops below 13.3V in that time.  If not, you are golden, if so no worry and you need to do the warranty.

If it were a non-balance charger and you saw that it charged right up, it would say it was charged that fast because it only really charged the first few cells, rather overcharges them, and then turns the charger off.

But since it was the Shorai charger, it doesn’t worry me. 

Best Regards,
Marianne Guarena
Customer Service & Warranty Manager

“The World’s Lightest, Longest-Lasting Powersports Batteries”
Shorai, Inc. | T:408-720-8821 | shop@shorai.org  | www.shoraipower.com

Sent: Monday, June 05, 2017 12:11 PM
To: Shorai Power
Subject: Inquiry from Shorai Lithium Batteries

Message: Hello, a couple of years ago I bought one of your batteries for my DRZ250 Suzuki. It's held up well without charging for a couple of years. However, I have not ridden it in a while so when I tried to start it, it turned over slowly, so I stopped, pulled the battery out, and hooked up the Shorai battery charger that I bought from you. Much to my surprise it only took about 15 minutes for it to beep at me that it was fully charged.

My question is, is this normal? I have not tried to re-start the bike yet.

Tom Sullivan
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:40:52 PM by Tom S »
Sr. Top Gun. (If it weren't for Billy)