Author Topic: 2021 TriSTAR  (Read 11005 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: 2021 TriSTAR
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:40 AM »
Geoffrey,
Regarding Isle Royale and the wolf population, it appears to have recovered as they show on their site 14 wolves in 2019, after 3 years holding at 2. 

https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/nature/wolf-moose-populations.htm

It sounds like a neat place. I know I enjoyed the 3 days I spent riding thru the UP with my brother after STAR in LaCrosse. Even with the torrential rains in Houghton and shortened times site seeing it was some fascinating scenery (without great twisty roads).

PS  Sorry we got your Tri-STAR thread derailed...
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »
Geoffrey,
Regarding Isle Royale and the wolf population, it appears to have recovered as they show on their site 14 wolves in 2019, after 3 years holding at 2. 

https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/nature/wolf-moose-populations.htm

It sounds like a neat place. I know I enjoyed the 3 days I spent riding thru the UP with my brother after STAR in LaCrosse. Even with the torrential rains in Houghton and shortened times site seeing it was some fascinating scenery (without great twisty roads).

PS  Sorry we got your Tri-STAR thread derailed...
No apology...I was jumping right into other topics myself. If we are reading and getting excited about STAR and other events and riding to interesting places to see cool stuff, I figure that's a good thing.
The retired NFS guy I talked with last year mentioned there had been discussions about introducing some new wolves to the island. (Thanks for the link you included above.) That either happened after he retired, or some wolves walked across the winter ice on the lake to the island. I suspect wolves are decent swimmers, but it was a two hour boat trip from Grand Portage...and it's significantly farther to the island from the Keweenaw Peninsula. I doubt any "basically" land animals, such as wolves or moose, would have the range to swim to the island. To jump into the lake and start swimming when you can't see a destination would be beyond a leap of faith. It certainly would be for me

I see the moose population on the island took a big jump up in 2019 as well. It may have been essential to reintroduce a new wolf population when that happened. Near the SW island visitor center, they fenced in an area to see what the vegetation might look like on the island if not for the moose grazing. The vegetation was so thick that you'd be hard pressed to walk through it. Everywhere else on the island, the vegetation from ground level to whatever a moose could reach has been stripped away. No new trees growing...they're eaten before they get a foothold. No low vegetation. You could walk in almost a straight line pretty easily around the island.

Interesting place. I'd like to go back and spend a night or two in the lodge on the NE end of the island.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 10:16:38 AM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 10:42:08 PM »
Those locations were both before I was a member.  But, we have been to both of those places.  We spent 5 days in Houghton, MI, about 100 miles north of Wakefield, MI in August, 2018.  We watched the weather report for the week before, and when they said 4 out 5 days rain, we took Denise's Mustang GT instead of a bike.

A few miles north of Houghton on the Peninsula, as they call it the 'UP', there is a sign showing the snow level per year.  It shows 25 feet of snow for 2018 snow season.  I wonder what month it is all melted??
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »
That's an amazing amount of snow. But with the close proximity to all that water on 3 sides...I guess I'm not too surprised.
One of my riding friends has been to Montana many times. He's got a forestry background and worked a couple of summers in an environmental education center during the summers as a young guy (we're all old farts now). That center has a short season as they usually had to wait for the snow to melt to get to the center...and we're talking about snow that covered the entire building from ground to roof.
And my wife has told me about going to school at Bemidji State in MN. She said sometimes they dug tunnels in the snow for people to walk through to get around campus.

Here in the middle of the country, eastern Tennessee-half way between the Gulf and the Great Lakes and about half way between the Atlantic and Big Muddy, we get a few snows each year ranging from barely visible on the grass to a few inches. I'm less than 50 miles from the mountains where I can go to get a more plentiful snow fix if needed. I can ride about 50-51 weeks out of the year. I like that.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »
Geoffery, ask your wife if she spent any time in mettler's bar in Mankato.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 11:46:55 AM »
Mettlers!!  That got both Denise and I laughing.  Now the real questions is, did she just visit, or work there??  We lived in Mankato for about 10 years, and know Mettlers.  To let everyone in on the the funny, in the 70-80's all of the waitresses took their turns as strippers all night long on a stage in the middle of the place.

Then at noon, they had the best noon lunches, but no dancing waitresses.  Just a smoke filled room, and beer smelling air.

No, Denise did not have the opportunity to work there.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
Those locations were both before I was a member.  But, we have been to both of those places.  We spent 5 days in Houghton, MI, about 100 miles north of Wakefield, MI in August, 2018.  We watched the weather report for the week before, and when they said 4 out 5 days rain, we took Denise's Mustang GT instead of a bike.

A few miles north of Houghton on the Peninsula, as they call it the 'UP', there is a sign showing the snow level per year.  It shows 25 feet of snow for 2018 snow season.  I wonder what month it is all melted??
When were there after STAR18 in LaCrosse Jim & Diane Parks from FL were also in Houghton, and their hotel (downtown area) got flooded so bad they had to relocate to a different room. My brother and I waited until about noon to leave the hotel and head out to Copper Harbor, had some lunch then boogied on to Marquette for the night skipping some of the planned sight seeing in between since time and daylight were limited. Yes I can imagine they get a lot of snow there.
Steve Grabowski

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
Mettlers!!  That got both Denise and I laughing.  Now the real questions is, did she just visit, or work there??  We lived in Mankato for about 10 years, and know Mettlers.  To let everyone in on the the funny, in the 70-80's all of the waitresses took their turns as strippers all night long on a stage in the middle of the place.

Then at noon, they had the best noon lunches, but no dancing waitresses.  Just a smoke filled room, and beer smelling air.

Before it was a strip club my ex wife's grandparents owned it.  I guess back in the day it was a big Mankato State hangout.   never knew the granddad but I understand he passed away at the bar late one night with a heart attack.  That was many many moons ago.  I remember how it just killed my X's grandmother when it became a strip club with her last name on it. 

Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »

Before it was a strip club my ex wife's grandparents owned it.  I guess back in the day it was a big Mankato State hangout.   never knew the granddad but I understand he passed away at the bar late one night with a heart attack.  That was many many moons ago.  I remember how it just killed my X's grandmother when it became a strip club with her last name on it. 

Was looking at their web site and it has a page with history, appears they started down this path with Go-Go dancers (before my time but believe they were fully clothed) back in the mid 60s. But its pretty clear that the strippers are a big part of their current package including one plastered across the home page and links to submit your inquiry to join the team, complete with request for a photo, measurements and other details. Sex still sells.
Steve Grabowski

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
Geoffery, ask your wife if she spent any time in mettler's bar in Mankato.

Cindy says she recognized the town name of Mankato, but hadn't been there. It's nearly 270 miles from Bemidji and is SSW of Minneapolis.

That's a pretty amazing connection with Bill's ex wife's grandparents owning the place. And yeah, I'll bet the grandmother WAS mortified to see what the place became.

So...who's up for a trip to Sparta later this month?
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »
In Aug, 2018 in Houghton, MI when we were there, you could see what the heavy rains did to the streets.  Many on the hills were tore up so bad you could not drive on them.  The pavement was heaved in spots as high as a few feet, for a long stretch.  We were told that they opened the doors on many buildings on the upside of the hill as well as the downside and let the water run through them. 

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 06:54:08 AM »
Geoffery,  Mullins, Campbell and i will see you at Tri Star.  One of my favorite places to ride.
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 01:21:43 AM »
Geoffery,  Mullins, Campbell and i will see you at Tri Star.  One of my favorite places to ride.
I'm looking forward to seeing you all...or is that "all y'all"?
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Larry Fine

• Forum Member II
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2001 Honda ST1100
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 02:07:08 AM »
"All y'all" is the correct plural.

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »

Geoffrey, you're the one south of the line ;)  I'd love to join y'all but I'll be driving to the beach for an anniversary vacation. We'll be passing through the general area but the Inn doesn't allow pets. So we'll be lodging Saturday night elsewhere. Y'all ride safe.   TM