Author Topic: MC tools  (Read 12644 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
MC tools
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
Many, too many to tell, years ago when I figured out that in order for me to afford this sport of riding I made up a tool kit that I carry along on my rides. This kit has served me well for many years and through some very interesting mc situations. I can and have removed my wheels while on the road to carry into a bike shop for new tires to be installed fixed many a problem. In fact other than a blown motor in which Doug Pippin rescued me I've always been able to make it to my destination.

That being said my kit is a conglomeration of a lot of tools removed from my tool box at home consequently my garage tool box has some holes in it. Plus the fact that well this kit developed by the folks at rrr tool solutions has some really great stuff developed just for us riders. So I've ordered the kit in the black bag. He has given us the code of FREESHIP which is a good discount but also on the Yamaha Super Tenere' forum he has even given us a 10% discount on orders making it an even better deal. I would think that we too could get a group discount if we were to ask... hint... hint.

Anyway go to: http://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com/ and see what you think.

After I get mine I'll let Ya'll know how it looks in real life!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Re: MC tools
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
These tools look nice, but I'd like to see bike model-specific tool sets, but don't know of any sources.

For example, you don't need to carry a full set of torx drivers, when your particular bike only has two size torx fastners.

Norm Kern

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »
Oh I'm sure I will be supplementing this kit by removing and adding a few items! Over the years with different bikes I have had to add and remove certain items. Heck just a few months ago I removed a socket that I finally realized I don't need on the Super Tenere' that I had always carried. Not a problem. 

These tools look nice, but I'd like to see bike model-specific tool sets, but don't know of any sources.

For example, you don't need to carry a full set of torx drivers, when your particular bike only has two size torx fastners.

Norm Kern
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »
Oh I'm sure I will be supplementing this kit by removing and adding a few items! Over the years with different bikes I have had to add and remove certain items. Heck just a few months ago I removed a socket that I finally realized I don't need on the Super Tenere' that I had always carried. Not a problem. 

Soo, the plan is to buy a tool kit that includes lots of stuff, then take out what you don't need for the particular bike. Then you have the other stuff available to mix and match for the next bike. That makes sense, but you will have to do some head-scratching for each bike to figure out what it does and does not need.

Norm Kern

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
Norm I only travel with the Super Tenere'. I intend to keep it for... well a few years so the kit won't be changing until then. And then it's only to add one or two things.
You are making this a much bigger deal than it is.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
If you're interested, Bike is running an impressive sale right now. The link is below:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-manuals-tools/v00ck94?p=2

Syd :)

Touringman

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
You are making this a much bigger deal than it is.

For most that know how to use them, tool kits are a big deal.  :)

I attended a rally that had two seminars scheduled at the same time and I chose the one about road tools. I'm somewhat embarrassed that my tool bag is so big and I thought I should go to the tool seminar and learn some tips to pare it down a bit. The guy started off by pulling out a tool bag almost 4 times the size of mine and talking about each tool in it and some strange use for each one.  ::)  :(   I pretended to get an important vibrating cell phone call and with concerned look on my face and talking to myself, I wandered off and headed to the other seminar.

This kit looks to be an excellent starting point for many with just some refinement to fit each one's particular bike. You have to decide what you will be willing to do on the side of the road and what you won't for starters. That is, what situations would you grab your tool kit for and what situations would you grab your cell phone and credit card for. As for the head scratching to determine what you need, the best way is to do regular maintenance using just the tools in the tool kit, when you get done take a look at what you used and what you didn't and what you had to borrow from elsewhere. I suffer from "helpitis" in that I start to eliminate a tool because it doesn't fit anything on my bike then I think "but what if one of my riding buddies needs it, it's not that big maybe I'll just leave it in the bag for now". Probably half my tool bag girth is from "helpitis" or improbable "what ifs". There are other tools that are just hard to get rid of because of....tradition?....or rather I've always had one...and I feel better knowing it's in the bag. Such a tool in my case is the spark plug socket. It makes sense in my DR650 tool bag, and especially in my two stroke bike's tool bag, but I just don't see when I'd ever use it on my Concours 14 on the side of the road. I still don't seem to be able to get rid of it though. Too much history there to let go, not all experience is helpful I guess.

If you're interested, Bike is running an impressive sale right now. The link is below:
http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-manuals-tools/v00ck94?p=2
  Syd, you are not helping my "helpitis" problem.  ;D

I'm looking forward to the review of the RRR tool kit and hopefully any other discussion that I hope develops here on what tools others think are essential for their bike.
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »
Marty you bring up a great point. For instance the spark plug tool. I will finally have 3 nested spark plug sockets that will also hold the spark plug while going in or coming out of the deep wells now used. There is no way in hell that I will ever try to get to the spark plugs on my Tenere' on the side of the road. It was a lot of work in my garage to check the valves on my 2012 Tenere.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
The best MC Toolkit is to ride with friends, who are fully stocked with tools! ;)
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Sorry Pyg rider, but I've ridden with you, and I know you have tubes, tools, and perhaps a little beer to keep you rolling! That's the way it should be! :D
Touringman

Offline HawkGTRider

• Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »
I don't know about the beer, but he's definitely prepped with tools. He did a tire-tube-ectomy on the side of the road during our trek to STAR this year via the TransAmerica Trail.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »
Well I received my rrr tool solutions kit yesterday. Wow, that was fast!
Here is my old/current tool kit:
The red is a shop rag I added.
And here is the new kit just opened:
It looks ok... More evaluation is required. And I will see what additions/changes are necessary to fill my perceived needs.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »

Norm Kern

Agree Norm....and if you own a BMW, theres many other odd tools required!

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »
Brick,
On another forum, a rider stated he always uses his MC toolkit to perform all his MC maintenance.  That way he always has needed tools on board when he makes a ride repair.
Galen

Syd and Geoffrey,
Yeah I have tools to repair flat tires. I have experienced 2 rear flats on my Tiger(deck screw and 16d nail)-and I was riding with you guys, and you were there to help!  Thanks!
Galen
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
Brick,
On another forum, a rider stated he always uses his MC toolkit to perform all his MC maintenance.  That way he always has needed tools on board when he makes a ride repair.
Galen

Galen,
I too do that the photo of my current tool kit is as it is laid out at home and how I use it to perform maintenance on my bikes.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650