Author Topic: ABS Brakes - Insurance Video  (Read 6506 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
ABS Brakes - Insurance Video
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:10:37 AM »

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: ABS Brakes - Insurance Video
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:50:01 AM »
ABS is an "option" on bikes?  So there are ABS equipped and non-ABS equipped versions of the same bikes?

Also not sure that the bikes thst low sided in the curve would have been saved by ABS.

Must admit thst I have never ridden a bike with ABS, so not sure how it would feel or if I would like it. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:49:30 AM by Patmo »
not all that wander are lost

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
[Must admit thst I have never ridden a bike with ABS, so not sure how it would feel or if I would like it.]

Pat - it's unnoticeable 99.9% of the time so there is little to not like.     

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
And, yes, there are lots of models with ABS optional. Honda has had and still has several over the years, including ST1100, ST1300, GL1800, etc.

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
See anything incorrect in this video? -JEP-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZzmL6s4dK44

Are you referring to the implication that ABS might prevent a crash in a curve, where it shows the two riders low siding? While most ABS systems are ineffective while leaned over, there are some new technologies that do work in those situations. I believe KTM and Aprilla have such systems now.

Offline donmoe

• MSTA Member
  • Enjoying retirement by traveling by motorcycle!
    • Don Moe's Travel Website
  • Lifetime Mileage: 301,174
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 BMW R1200GSA, 2013 Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
That video was posted over 5 years ago and things have changed since then. In some countries such as in Europe, ABS is now mandated on new motorcycles. I expect that those rules will cause manufacturers to discontinue production of non-ABS models world-wide. Personally I would not buy a motorcycle without ABS and traction control.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA                  2004 BWM R1150RT (sold)
2013 Triumph Trophy SE               1981 KZ1000 (sold)
2010 Concours 14 ABS (wrecked)  1974 Z1 (sold)
2008 Concours 14 ABS (traded)     1973 H1 (traded)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »
I'm a total believer in ABS. I promised myself years ago that whenever possible, I'd buy bikes equipped with ABS. Although I've had only a couple so configured, I'm still convinced that ABS can be a life saver.
I was pleased to see the Euro requirement go into effect as I believe that ABS equipped bikes will become more and more the standard, and that will allow me to continue to fulfill my promise to myself.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
See anything incorrect in this video? -JEP-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZzmL6s4dK44

So what is it, exactly, you were wanting us to see?

I think I see a battery tender plug resting on an exhaust pipe (might melt and short out while riding), but it might be on a heat shield. The prices on the bikes seemed reasonable for 2010. (?) The low side rider appears to have been run over by the 3rd guy and the guy going the other way crosses the center line all the way to the far side white line, can't tell if he could see that the coast was clear or if he just screwed up after seeing the accident on the other side.

So what did I miss?

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a problem with statistics when they are reported in the media. It seems that frequent repeating from one source to another and the need to reword an article to make the writer feel as though he or she is really writing something new causes errors.

For example the text under the video (and the video itself with slightly different wording) says: "The main finding is that motorcycles with antilocks versus without are 37 percent less likely to be in fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years."
The video says that: "per mile traveled motorcyclists are 37 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die a crash."
The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) (an affiliate of the Insurance Institute quoted in the video) says on their website that:"Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths.."
There seems to be a lot of 37s running through these statistics of unrelated items. Yes, related by motorcycles only, otherwise it's helmet vs no helmet; antilock brakes vs standard brakes; and motorcycle fatalities vs auto occupant fatalities all a factor or percentage of 37?  I suppose it could be an accurate coincidence, but I suspect a statistical screw up somewhere.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:16:37 PM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
What jumped out at me was showing a low side crash by two bikes as an example of how ABS will help. As pointed out this was an old video and some things have advanced. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steveinfl

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
The best set of golf clubs money can by will not make you a scratch golfer. I feel the same way about ABS, it's nice to have good equipment but it's not going to save your ...... If you going to fast not paying attention etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk