Author Topic: Advanced Rider Training; Why don't you take it?  (Read 10628 times)

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Advanced Rider Training; Why don't you take it?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
My car insurance company is offering a discount if you attend a driver's refresher class. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
Re: Advanced Rider Training; Why don't you take it?
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »
My car insurance company is offering a discount if you attend a driver's refresher class. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that include a track day with your bike???!!! :-)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
My automobile insurance company ALMOST offered a discount if I took the refresher course......

In the course of my yearly review, the agent said that I could save 15.00 off the annual premium if I took a refresher course.  But then we realized that the cost of taking the course is 25.00.  We both had a good laugh about that one.

My bike insurance company gives me a 2% discount for taking a rider training course.  That works out to about 10.00 dollars a year.  It cost me a whole lot more than that to take the course.  It's going to take more years than I have left to recoup the cost via insurance savings, but I still think it's worth it.

My enjoyment of riding is much greater after taking the Total Control class and I feel much more confident and relaxed while riding.  It was worth every penny it cost and was time well spent.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:36 AM »
There are so many ways to improve your skills and riding (Also comfort on the bike) Even at the highest levels we are always looking for ways to get better and be more at ease in the saddle. Next week I and most of my staff are signed up for a day of Trails riding and the week after we all are doing a gymkhana class. A couple weeks back most of the team members participated in Rich Olivers Mystery school.

The Fun and the learning never stops.

For the Riding Instructors in California we have annual Professional Development workshops. Since we took over the state program we moved those PDW events out of the conference room and out to locations where you ride. Instructors have to bring motorcycles. We have lots for them to do and participate in. They choose electives through the day for 30 minute blocks from being on the track, to low speed, gymkhana, dirt riding etc. there is also the usual classroom requirements but we are trying to expose them to more things and help them achieve the next level by exposing them to things they might not otherwise think about or do.

David
National Rider Training

Offline qman8

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: Probably over 350k now
  • Primary Motorcycle: R1200GSA, 2015
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
There are so many ways to improve your skills and riding (Also comfort on the bike) Even at the highest levels we are always looking for ways to get better and be more at ease in the saddle. Next week I and most of my staff are signed up for a day of Trails riding and the week after we all are doing a gymkhana class. A couple weeks back most of the team members participated in Rich Olivers Mystery school.

For the Riding Instructors in California we have annual Professional Development workshops. Since we took over the state program we moved those PDW events out of the conference room and out to locations where you ride. Instructors have to bring motorcycles. We have lots for them to do and participate in. They choose electives through the day for 30 minute blocks from being on the track, to low speed, gymkhana, dirt riding etc. there is also the usual classroom requirements but we are trying to expose them to more things and help them achieve the next level by exposing them to things they might not otherwise think about or do.
David:  Somehow, your job sounds more exciting than mine.  ...Which probably explains why I am typing this and not actually doing what I get paid for!

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »

David:  Somehow, your job sounds more exciting than mine.  ...Which probably explains why I am typing this and not actually doing what I get paid for!

Don't worry I'm sure your employer doesn't mind.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »

Yes for 15 years I spent a good deal of my time pushing around a mouse and used all my vacation, weekends etc. to teach, promote and live riding of all types of motorsports. I ride quads, bikes, snowmobiles etc. Now I get to use all my past experience and knowledge to assist others, spend lots of time riding and I still get to teach.

David
National Rider Training