Author Topic: Advanced Training  (Read 7814 times)

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
Advanced Training
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
I am not sure if this is the Right place to post this, If it is in the wrong place, mods can you move it?

We all want to be the best we can be and often we tend to think we are better than we really are. While there are classes that anyone can take we often don't.

In my Free time I teach all types of motorsports at many levels, Dirt, Street, Track etc. I have been involved in Motorsports Education for 20 years and over the years I have noticed it has always been very difficult to get riders to participate or take any type of training once they learn how to ride, and many do not get training to learn how to ride in the first place either.
I know that some groups are more likely to search out rider training programs, advanced training programs and participate in training than others, ie. from my experience BMW riders tend to be represented in advanced riding classes way above the average and disproportionately in relation to the numbers of bikes sold and on the road. In some Classes they can account for almost 1/3 of the riders in advanced classes. (It does vary by region)
[/size]So my Question is to you the riders, Why do YOU not look for and participate in rider training, Advanced training etc. Why are you not trying to become a better rider and in turn a safer and more responsible rider? If you have taken a basic Rider course for a license or to learn why did you not follow up with more and advanced training?[/font]
[/size]I like to equate rider training to our formal education, completion of the Basic classes like the MSF BRC is about the same as graduating from the 3rd grade. You did not quite school after the third grade but most riders tend to be of the opinion that the 3rd grade level of rider education is enough. There is so much more out there that can make you a better rider, and in turn might actually even save your life, so what prevents you from wanting to be better? I know some of you think, "I am a good rider" if that is the case, good in comparison to who? Don't you want to be better? Even track day guys? If you are not mixing it up with Rossi you can be better, so again whats the deal?[/font]
[/size]I am looking for the honest opinions of those who have not taken training, maybe you thought about it but just never did? Again why? Advanced training?? There is so much out there what is holding you back?[/font]

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:45:47 PM by Outlaws Justice »
David
National Rider Training

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: Advanced Training
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
You might not get many replies from this list as most that I know on this list do participate in Advanced training. Before I retired and moved from Ohio to Western North Carolina I did an Advance training at least every other year. Since I retired not as often but I have and have signed up for the MSTA/COG Ken Condon Sport Touring Track day at Jennings GP track February 24th.

So I'm not who you wanted to reply but as usual I thought I had to say something. I saw that many had seen your post and no one had replied.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
I've done some, including yours, but it's been a few years since then.  I'd like to do some more, but right now it's a matter of convenience (nothing happening near me), money (it only goes so far), and time (only so many weekends I want to stray from home/family). 
not all that wander are lost

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Most riders that I associate with also take regular training or improvement. But most riders I know do not. We all seem to hang out with like minded people. Many responses I have have in the past (Other forums) talk about money or time, But advanced training is working to improve your skills. Some of those skills will enhance your ride experience, all will make you a more competent rider and in turn a safer rider. If I can make my rides more enjoyable and increase the chances of getting home to my wife and kids to me it's worth the time.

Riding a Motorcycle is dangerous, over 30x more dangerous than driving a car, I know many people who give it up while they have children for just that reason. I am not perfect, I have crashed and I can attribute what I have learned and the gear I was wearing in being able to walk away. I know there have been times that the practice I get when training others and working with my other instructors has saved me as well.

At times I think most of us get complacent with our skills and feel we are above average so we stop thinking it matters for us. Maybe we took a class five years ago, but what have you done today? I personally shot for at least one training event per year and more if I can do them. Right now I am looking at an Endure Cross class and a corner spin class. Last year I took moto Gymkana and Trials bike classes. I ride regularly, street, dirt, and track as well.

I see in 2015 there was a 10% increase in motorcycle fatalities nationally, what can we do as riders to reduce this trend. Some of you will blame other road users, and yes they are sometimes at fault. Remember this, over half of all motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle which means no one is to blame but us the rider. And just because another vehicle was involved does not mean they were at fault. Even if another vehicle was at fault does not mean we had to hit them, it is up to use to learn what to do and how to avoid when someone else makes a mistake.
David
National Rider Training

Offline africord

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 50,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2002 VFR800
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
My answer to the question is an issue of access.  There are many states in this country that do not have an available advanced riding course.  So taking the course in another state becomes a commitment of several days of vacation, and choices may come down to taking a course this year as my annual motorcycle trip or going some place else like STAR, or Sturgis, or Daytona, etc.  Personally, I have 10 days off per year due to the acquisition of my old company and needing a new job late in my career.  My wife doesn't ride, so I usually allocate some time to non-riding activities. The remainder becomes my bike trip time bank.

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
Time is always a factor as I pointed out above. Sometimes classes are closer than we think, they just may not be well advertised or promoted. Where are you located?

David
National Rider Training

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
What's a corner spin class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »

It is a supermoto class that is down in LA
David
National Rider Training

Offline africord

• Forum Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 50,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2002 VFR800
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
I'm located in northeast Nebraska.  Kansas City is about a 6-hour ride from here.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »

It is a supermoto class that is down in LA

Aaron Stephenson also has a Cornerspin school in the Southeast.
Road Racing in the Dirt is the school that enhances skills for EVERYONE, no matter what type of bike you ride.
The drills and techniques we use translate directly to all types of riding and all areas of riding: balance, throttle control, body positioning, traction, weight bias, peg weighting, vision and references, just to name a few points. All of these elements combine to make you a better rider no matter what type of riding you do. Street riders will find that they have a greater sense of awareness of their skills and improvement in their riding. Racers will find that and much much more. The training we do at Cornerspin™ is not new but new to most riders. Call it the best kept secret of the pros.

http://www.cornerspin.com/main.html

He also has a Cornerspeed class
Whether you're new to the track or a seasoned track day rider, you can ride with Cornerspeed!
Every Cornerspeed school day includes separate track day groups for Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Riders. At Cornerspeed events, whether you are in the school or participating in the track day, our school instructors are available to work with you. Experience the track with Cornerspeed. See why we have earned the reputation as having the safest and best run events on the east coast. Ride with the best!

https://www.cornerspeed.net/2014/main.php

Doug
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:00:30 AM by dpippin »
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
Ok... now I see what it is. Thanks

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline bbartsch

• Forum Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 BMW F800GSA
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
The last 'advanced' training I attended (last year) was in a parking lot.  It was a good refresher, but nothing beyond what I had in my original training, about ten years ago.
What I would like to see, would be training options at the rallies.  It would be great to attend the Marietta, OH or Corydon, IN rallies and be able to have a trainer provide coaching based on what they witness during the rides.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 10:48:07 PM »
The last 'advanced' training I attended (last year) was in a parking lot.  It was a good refresher, but nothing beyond what I had in my original training, about ten years ago.
What I would like to see, would be training options at the rallies.  It would be great to attend the Marietta, OH or Corydon, IN rallies and be able to have a trainer provide coaching based on what they witness during the rides.

I tried this for years in the HSTA/MSTA... it cost to get training to come to do there thing at events AND it's hard as they need a location that fits how they train. AND once I had one lined up... IF I could get enough participants to commit = put you money where your mouth is... I got one or two. Not nearly enough. The most prevalent comment was, "I don't want to take my vacation doing a school, I wanna ride!"

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »
The Boss and I typically take a rider training course of some type every 2-3 years.
There have been/are rider training courses at our annual rally (MSF ARC this year). We (Florida MSTA) did a MSF ERC several years back and a Lee Parks ARC class both at a central location and both were well attended. -JEP-

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 05:44:53 AM »
[...It would be great to attend the Marietta, OH or Corydon, IN rallies and be able to have a trainer provide coaching based on what they witness during the rides...bbartsch]

If you really want that to happen, you should take it upon yourself to make it happen - contact the trainer and make all the arrangements.  The event organizers already have more than a full plate and don't need additional duties, besides arranging with the hotel, food, routes, door prizes, etc.  I appreciate what they do to provide great events for us to attend!   ;)   

Tosh

ps.  "during the rides" will provide a hazy picture at best.  At either of those events there are lots of different groups of riders and their speeds and distances vary greatly which is OK.  There is really no single standard of how we (as a club) ride at an event.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:59:47 AM by DirtFlier »