Author Topic: New Michigan Member  (Read 7978 times)

SpeedRacerOnline

New Michigan Member
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »
Greetings from the frozen tundra of Michigan!  I've been riding anything and everything off-road since I was 4 years old.  I started riding on the street about 10 years ago on a '93 Suzuki DR350 borrowed from my brother when I couldn't afford to buy a second car.  I only got to ride it for a few months though, because one of his friends blew the motor when they took it trail riding one weekend.  A few years later I got myself a beautiful '86 Yamaha Virago XV1100S, but only had one season with it before I was forced to let it go.  In 2010, I decided I wanted to try a sport bike, so I bought a '94 Yamaha XJ600S Seca II from a friend.  It was ugly and pretty beat up, but I loved it; lots of fun, comfortable, and not kill-myself fast (I like speed too much to trust myself with a big bike).  I rode that for a season and a half before I tore it down to start rebuilding it.  The project got curbed, though, when we had to move and I lost my garage.  Then, March of last year, I found a great deal on a very sharp 5,300 mile '93 XJ while looking for parts on ebay.  I scooped it up, and "Ruby" has been my mistress ever since!  I got her on the road in April, and have put about 6,000 miles on her since then.  With a thousand things going on in life (I'm a family man), I don't get to go "real riding" as often as I'd like, but I ride her to work every day (as long as it's not raining in the morning when I leave).  I've tried to find some active local riding groups (I'm in the "thumb" of Michigan), but haven't had much luck so far; plenty of groups, but not much activity.  I hope to meet a few active locals here.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Re: New Michigan Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »
Welcome to the group!  8)
Michigan has a very active group and I think there is a ride this weekend, check out the MI posts. -JEP-

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
Welcome
not all that wander are lost

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
Welcome. Living up "in the thumb" you are a bit away from the majority of the group in MI, as well as our monthly meetings held in Plymouth. Hope to see you at an upcoming meeting during the "lean riding" months. We all try to get together and commiserate and plan for the good times. :)
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi