Author Topic: National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa
« on: August 27, 2023, 09:01:55 PM »
The National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA will be closing Sep. 8, 2023 after being open for 34 years. We were there a few days ago after hearing of the future closing, wanting to see all the bikes in the new building. The last time we visited, it was downtown in a small building, and about 20 years ago they moved to a large new building on the edge of town next to the highway.

They have all brands of cycles as well as stock, racers for Bonneville, Daytona sand racers, drag bikes and many more. They cover from the beginning of time with cycles to almost current.

Many were donated or on loan.

The Museum was started by John & Jill Parham, owners of J&P Cycle Parts which also has it's main store located just down the highway from the museum.

If interested, hurry to visit and see the bikes one last time. They already have each item tagged for the on-line auction.

Anamosa is located about 45 miles southwest of Dubuque, IA which many people rode through when at STAR in La Crosse, WI.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline STLTHMSTA

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 350,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: ST1100abs
Re: National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 11:09:15 AM »
I have read about this elsewhere and that's a real shame. I visited on my way to STAR one year, stayed right across the street. It was very nice to see a different take on what a museum should look like. Rained the whole time I was inside so my timing worked out for a change. I hope all the bikes find a good home and godspeed John & Jill.

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
Re: National Motorcycle Museum, Anamosa, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 10:02:02 PM »
John passed away in 2017. That is part of the reason for the closing.  See the sad news below.

I happened to get to talk to Jill while we were there. I was asking about a CB350 4cyl in the museum that looked like the one that Denise had many years ago. What made it stick out, was the 4 into 1 Hooker exhaust system, which is what I had put on hers along with a 400 kit, and that required many more modifications including stronger clutch springs. But, when completed, it was a 750 Honda and 750 Kawa killer in a drag race.

Jill could not find the exact history, but I will do more research with the VIN. This bike was donated by an Iowa family of the owner when he died. We had sold ours to a person from Iowa, so anything is possible.

John Parham, Founder of J&P Cycles, Chairman of the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa, lost his long battle with pulmonary fibrosis April 20, 2017. Recognized often for his marketing work and event development and promotion, John was a passionate motorcyclist, and loved the history of the sport.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor