Author Topic: Partial Closure - AR 23 - The Pig Trail  (Read 14694 times)

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
Partial Closure - AR 23 - The Pig Trail
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »
Due to a landslide, part of AR 23 has been closed about five miles north of Cass.  It appears that it will still be closed during STAR.  A good deal is still open, though, and there are plenty of good routes around the damaged section.  Here's a map:

https://localtvkfsm.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ahtd-state-highway-23-detour-map.pdf
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Offline Neirbog

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Re: Partial Closure - AR 23 - The Pig Trail
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
We picked up another couple of inches of rain today.
They had to repair the Pig Trail before for slides.  At one point they had one lane open during repairs.
They have not said what the time frame will be or if they will open one lane.
There is a dual sport route that comes in from 21 to Oark.
The 90 extra miles to Oark is worth it for the Peanut Butter pie.
We will post any news we hear.
Neirbog = G.O'Brien backwards
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '17
BMW F800R '11 & Honda CRF230 '05

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »
With just a few weeks remaining before leaving, I'm looking forward to seeing the GPS files for your suggested routes. Anticipation and all of that, you know.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on AR 23 being closed near Cass.  We'll be coming from south of Springdale and 23 was part of a possible route.  ;)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 718710
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
AR 23 is on my route to and from Springdale. I'll work up an alternate but I hope it will get fixed in time.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha TRacer 9GT

billo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »
It is unlikely that the pig trail will be repaired before STAR, so better plan on an alternate route.
Use 21 to Fallsville to 16 to Fayetteville.
Be sure to gas up in Clarksville.

A great loop would be 103 - 215 and down the pig trail on 23. Because there won't be traffic on the pig trail now.
Then around and up an alternate route.

Bill

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »
Yes Bill Wing has talked to the Arkansas Hwy Dept and 23 is not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future  :(
Apparently the place that it has slide off is still totally unstable and until it stabilizes they can't even begin to repair it.
Also we need to be aware that until it drys out a bit there may be other roads that will have issues.

I agree if you have the time to take the 23/215/103 loop with a lunch stop in Oark as it's well worth the time.

Scenic/old 71 from Alma to Fayetteville isn't a bad ride if you need to make it quickly to Springdale.  Use that and then at Fayetteville hop on I-49 to get around Fayetteville and into Springdale.  There is a brand new (not on GPS) exit at mile marker 70 for those coming in from the south.

But yes the best alternate is to take 21 and 16.  Fayetteville and Springdale are not fun towns to traverse thru but we hopefully have backroads to get past the worst of it and I-49 is your best bet if not familiar with those yet. 

Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

SION1771

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
Star Rally was recommended by Fred Rau/Contact Patch/Motorcycle Consumer News, so I'm contemplating making the trek from Chicago with my better half (her first motorcycle rally and by far the farthest she's ridden).

Unfortunately, we have no idea what to expect. We both independently scoured the MSTA websites and forums, and neither could find an overview. Is the rally that laissez-faire or are details all forthcoming? I would love to read about what went down a prior year, but couldn't find anything from the past. Am I missing something? Can anyone help us know what to expect.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
Star Rally was recommended by Fred Rau/Contact Patch/Motorcycle Consumer News, so I'm contemplating making the trek from Chicago with my better half (her first motorcycle rally and by far the farthest she's ridden).

Unfortunately, we have no idea what to expect. We both independently scoured the MSTA websites and forums, and neither could find an overview. Is the rally that laissez-faire or are details all forthcoming? I would love to read about what went down a prior year, but couldn't find anything from the past. Am I missing something? Can anyone help us know what to expect.

PM message sent

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
Also PM message sent.......great minds, huh Doug?  8)  -JEP-
Also, here is the 2015 STAR homepage link: [size=78%]http://ridemsta.com/srblog/star/[/size]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:32:16 PM by RIDEMYST »

JohnboyNC

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
Agreed. I'm a new member and this will be my first MSTA event. There are details about where the event is (a Holiday Inn in Springdale, AR) but little else. No schedule, no 'registration is open these times', nothing as to what to expect. As a newbie looking in, there are very few details.

Not complaining, just pointing out that to newbies, we have no idea what is going on during this event. If your not 'in the know', we have no idea. But, a current member said it is fun and recommended it, so I'm in. I'm happy to show up and ride and go with the flow...    :)

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:39 PM »
The official event days are June 21-24 but a lot of people, perhaps over 40%, show up at least a day early.  Registration usually doesn't open until Sunday, June 21 but they might be open late-Saturday?  The hours that Registration will be open are posted at the event and really no need to have them on-line.

There are various ride routes and maps will be available and perhaps downloads into your Garmin GPS.  If you have anything other than a Garmin you're probably out of luck.  You can take any ride on any day.  The lunch ride is always on Tuesday and that night is the Member's Meeting. Wednesday night is the banquet where most of the big awards are given out, such as the raffle bike.  Most members head home on Thursday morning. 

We don't have many vendors at STAR because we're not a club that hangs around the hotel all day to polish chrome and buy stuff, so the parking lot is usually empty until around 4-5 PM each day. After that time there are always lots of tire kickers in the parking lot trading stories (usually lies) and ogling farkles on different bikes.   

You have to remember that this is an all-volunteer club so having everything provided up front as if you're on a paid tour is not going to happen.  You'll just have to show-up and have fun!

Tosh
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:31:20 PM by DirtFlier »

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
This will be the first STAR that I will miss since 1992.
Basically MSTA events are riding events. Don't be bashful. Find meet and make friends to ride with while there and perhaps life long new friends. The STAR event is MSTA's national event and as such it is the event where the Executive Committee (EC) reports to the members the state of the club. The number of and amount of seminars and functions vary from year to year depending on the "local" volunteers. As said before the suggested routes to ride are self guided rides. The closing event aka Banquet is where some awards are given door prizes are given a meal is enjoyed and the annual bike raffle winner is drawn. Usually the location for next years STAR is also announced.
Some years there is a keynote speaker. Fred Rau has been our keynote speaker more than once and is my favorite. Don't tell the other speakers that I said that.
BTW: I'll be waiting for the phone call telling me I'm the bike winner.

I must be out riding my Super Teneré'!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

JohnboyNC

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »
Excellent info - thanks!!    8)

Offline lifeisgood

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 Ninja 1000
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
A few updates regarding STAR.  Members on the forum probably already have these details, but I have posted here so that non-members and guest can see this information since a non-member actually started this series of questions:

The 2015 STAR Event Schedule is now online!  (as of this morning, June 4th)

STAR Registration opens at noon on Saturday.

Members meeting is Monday night at 7:00.  STAR 2016 location will be announced at this meeting.

If anyone has any questions that have not been answered here, feel free to email me at diannelpark@yahoo.com.  Be sure to put either MSTA or STAR in the subject line so that I don't mistakenly delete the email!  If your question is involved or you are new member or first time STAR Attendee - I would like to speak with you - if we have not already spoken on the telephone - so please provide your telephone number in your email.  There are several new procedures this year to help those attending STAR for the first time. 
Dianne Park
MSTA PR Director