Author Topic: Help! can't get STAR routes to load  (Read 14275 times)

VersysRider

Re: Help! can't get STAR routes to load
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »
First let me say I am an absolute newbie to BaseCamp. With that said, when I import the files into BaseCamp, at appears that the routes are tracks and the tracks are routes. What have I done wrong?

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 03:45:29 AM »
Hopefullly someone with more BaseCamp knowledge will pipe in here but here's the little I know.
The way we built the routes they will be in purple/magenta and the tracks are in green.
On my version if I look in the lower left box there are 2 choices to pick just below the waypoints.
Both are the same name as the file is for that route.
1.  One for the route which I'm not sure what the symbol is.
2.  The other has little foot prints and that's for the tracks.
If you click on each one of those they highlight in the colors above.

Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »
First let me say I am an absolute newbie to BaseCamp. With that said, when I import the files into BaseCamp, at appears that the routes are tracks and the tracks are routes. What have I done wrong?

When I see that our web-master also finds Basecamp to be confusing and frustrating.....I feel so much better.  :)

Sorry, Jay.....but I was beginning to think it was ONlY ME!  LOL
not all that wander are lost

VersysRider

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »

When I see that our web-master also finds Basecamp to be confusing and frustrating.....I feel so much better.  :)

The first time I used BaseCamp was last night. Normally, I just download the routes into my phone (windows phone) and hope for the best. It normally works fine and if it does reroute, I just look at it as I have found something new. Usually when it does screw up, you end up on an unpaved road, but on the Tenere that's not a big deal.

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 07:41:08 AM »
Denise,

Appreciate all the choices for the lunch ride. The extra value for me is that I can choose how many miles to ride on the Lunch Ride day.

I want to be back early on Tue. so I can rest a bit and prepare for my seminar Tue. night, so that's very helpful!

Norm Kern

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »

The first time I used BaseCamp was last night. Normally, I just download the routes into my phone (windows phone) and hope for the best. It normally works fine and if it does reroute, I just look at it as I have found something new. Usually when it does screw up, you end up on an unpaved road, but on the Tenere that's not a big deal.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one pushing the GPX file to my device and hoping for the best. It has worked pretty well, especially out west where there are less roads for it to get lost on. And this year at Tri-STAR I did a route I followed 2 years ago, which I recall had several problems where the route was having me turn in places that were not right. I understand using the Mapsource/Basecamp to load, review amd modify as needed then send that to the GPS is the "correct method" but I'm too burned out with computers all day at work to do that much.

As for the file associations and my techie foreign language babbling, its something most people don't and shouldn't be messing with too much. You could really mess yourself up. It would be easier (for me at least) to show it in person than over the phone or in messages/posts. Much easier to support people that way, and how we do things in our software company.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650