Author Topic: If You Bailed, You Failed - Fall Colors 2015  (Read 12939 times)

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
If You Bailed, You Failed - Fall Colors 2015
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

The weather forecast was wet all weekend.  Quite a few people decided to skip the event, supposedly to avoid the rain.  Some who travelled to Lewisburg thought better of it after one day and left early.  Others stayed but found off-bike excursions to fill their Saturday. 

I had ridden down Friday with no rain until I was south of Fayetteville.  Outside the small town of Rupert, less than 20 miles from my destination, U.S. 60 was closed due to an accident.  I was given directions by a highway worker, who sent me back to Rainelle.  There I should have stopped and checked a map, but it was raining, so I followed the local’s directions and went down some Twilight Zone road that I cannot now find on the map.  It was a paved lane-and-a-half with wide dirt berms that allowed the large volume of oncoming traffic to safely pass by me in the dark, in the rain.  I came out the other side onto a paved road with no road signs and wandered around until I found I-64.

On Saturday morning I looked at the weather radar and saw that the swirling rain clouds did not reach far from Lewisburg.  There was a large clear area to the west and extensive clearing in northern WV.  I decided to head for one of those areas and ride.  This plan sounded so good that three others chose to change their plan, which was to head home early, and come along. 

I hastily put together a route and we were on the road within an hour.  John Boyd, Jim Goody, Tom Rannebarger and I went south then east.  Early on the way was unfamiliar, but soon we were in Talcott.  There we found some new developments.  There is now a John Henry museum, and a new memorial park is under construction.  The John Henry statue was gone.  The plinth remains with a plaque that reads, “Here stood a statue of John Henry…” 
As we were preparing to leave, a local man drove up and handed brochures out the window of his truck.  He gave us directions to the new location of the statue.  We found the statue at the mouth of the Big Bend tunnels directly below the old location.  The statue appears to have been polished and painted, but the park is not yet finished. 

We went on to Hinton and paused to view the New River at what I refer to as the best Dairy Queen I’ve ever seen.  We partook only of the view and headed on to a new road we had never ridden.  State route 10 looks curvy on the map, and it is.  We rolled through a long series of zigzag bends with no traffic to slow us.  Soon after that, a dog tried to slow us and John rolled him down the road. 

This dog, a stout terrier mix, started by chasing me.  He soon he took a misstep and did a face plant in the ditch.  He wasn’t a quitter.  The dog recovered as Jim passed then went after John’s bike and caught it.  According to Tom, the dog lay in the road briefly then got up.  It seemed to have survived a collision with a crash bar and a pannier.  Perhaps he will react a bit differently the next time a motorcycle passes.

After enjoying a late lunch at the friendly Justonian Restaurant in Justice, we back tracked to West Virginia routes 97, 54 and then 121 at “Road Ends, WV.”  We rode through the only persistent rain of the day from Beckley back to Lewisburg.
Sunday morning Jim left before the rain.  John, Tom and I departed later and were on dry roads in less than an hour.  We had a good ride home.  Each of us said we were glad we did not give up on the weekend. 

Thanks to Syd Mayes for another great event!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
Re: If You Bailed, You Failed - Fall Colors 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time Coach. I came down with my brother Steve on Thursday, had a great 370 miles of riding in glorious weather. Friday we went out for the day, and got rained on the last 40 miles or so back to the hotel. When we saw what Saturday and Sunday were looking like, we decided to head home to Akron and only rode in the rain for the first hour or so of the day. I had a blast at my first FCR, and with my trip from Michigan to OH and back to MI, I logged nearly 1500 miles for the weekend trip.

I plan to go again, love the roads down there.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:10 PM »
We went on to Hinton and paused to view the New River at what I refer to as the best Dairy Queen I’ve ever seen.  We partook only of the view and headed on to a new road we had never ridden.  State route 10 looks curvy on the map, and it is.  We rolled through a long series of zigzag bends with no traffic to slow us.

Doug
State Route 10 is on three of the event routes. Route 7, Route 9, and Route 11
It's a great road with little traffic and we've given it a name (for FCR participants only) "Nogard VW"
If you invert the name it's WV Dragon.

If any of you like twisty roads and missed it make sure you ride it next year.

Doug P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:24:58 AM by dpippin »
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:00:40 AM »
Oh this is good to know! This sounds like enticement to attend next years FC!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
We went on to Hinton and paused to view the New River at what I refer to as the best Dairy Queen I’ve ever seen.  We partook only of the view and headed on to a new road we had never ridden.  State route 10 looks curvy on the map, and it is.  We rolled through a long series of zigzag bends with no traffic to slow us.

Doug
It's a great road with little traffic and we've given it a name (for FCR participants only) "Norgard VW"

Doug P
One minor observation...Norgard VW inverted is WV Dragron. Maybe the nickname is Nogard VW. That, inverted, is WV Dragon.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »

Doug
It's a great road with little traffic and we've given it a name (for FCR participants only) "Norgard VW"

Doug P
One minor observation...Norgard VW inverted is WV Dragron. Maybe the nickname is Nogard VW. That, inverted, is WV Dragon.

Good Catch Geoffrey. That was a typo. I fixed the post.

And I want to emphasize this is an unofficial name for FCR attendees only.
Certainly don't need another of the great roads in this area named and publicized with signs and web sites etc. attracting Harleys etc and LEO's

The section of Hwy 10 on three of FCR routes runs from Mullens WV to Hwy 19 north of Princeton WV is remote, deep in coal country with very little traffic. Let's keep it that way.

The full length of Hwy 10 continues up to Huntington WV. On a map it looks like it would be good the whole way.

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »
Oh this is good to know! This sounds like enticement to attend next years FC!

If you snooze, you loose
Were you snoozing on the event weekend
MSTA Se Region Web Site

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
Many of us were teasing Syd last weekend about moving the Fall Colors event a week earlier. We were standing around on Saturday watching it rain.

Check out the weather today, the traditional weekend of the Fall Colors event. None of us thought last weekend that Syd's judgment would be vindicated, but here we are. Congratulations, Syd. LOL

Norm Kern 

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »
Thanks Norm, I knew I was right all along!!! ;D
Touringman

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
Syd is definitely not to be doubted! 

Many of us were teasing Syd last weekend about moving the Fall Colors event a week earlier. We were standing around on Saturday watching it rain.

Check out the weather today, the traditional weekend of the Fall Colors event. None of us thought last weekend that Syd's judgment would be vindicated, but here we are. Congratulations, Syd. LOL

Norm Kern 
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Thanks Norm, I knew I was right all along!!! ;D

You're probably a bit more confident in your judgment this weekend than last. LOL

Norm Kern

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
Yeah, what we got last weekend was nothing like Hurricane Joaquin coming ashore!  I saw some photos of Charleston SC where the water appeared to be 2-feet deep in downtown!

Nice pick Syd! 

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
I guess it was all those prayers that I was thinking went for nothing, until I see that there may well have been a plan after all! Enlightenment sometimes comes to those who wait. :D
Touringman

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 06:12:27 AM »
I guess it was all those prayers that I was thinking went for nothing, until I see that there may well have been a plan after all! Enlightenment sometimes comes to those who wait. :D

So what you're saying is, that even with prayers, our event had rain. I'd add that if the event had been a week later, we "wouldn't have had a prayer," so to speak.

Norm Kern

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »
I (obviously) couldn't have put it any better myself Norm!
Touringman