Author Topic: The Country Stores of KY  (Read 9517 times)

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
The Country Stores of KY
« on: April 16, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »
Most states have a bike magnet country store or two.  In Missouri we always seemed to wind up at the Bixby store.  Californians have the Rock store.  I discovered the Butler Market a couple of days ago and had an excellent burger there.  Kentucky seems to be blessed with more of these old stores than most states.  In addition to Butler, we have the Lenoxburg store, Big 4 store in Stephens, and of course Rabbit Hash.  Please add your favorite motorcycle destination country store to this thread. 

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: The Country Stores of KY
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 06:31:18 PM »
The Augusta General Store is really more of a restaurant than it is a store, and is a very good restaurant.  Sits almost exactly where the Ferry from Ohio comes in, and is a favorite lunch stop for many people.
not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »
The Oark General Store/Cafe in Oark, AR.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »
If we're going out of KY, then we have to include the original Mast General Store in NC.

Another one  in KY is Penn’s Store in Gravel Switch, KY.  What makes this one really special is that it is the oldest one-family continually owned store in the US.  The Out House races also make it a special kind of place.  LOL

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:58:06 PM »
Not far from KY is Stephenson's General Store in Leavenworth, IN.  I had been there several times before I noticed that they had a bunch of hardware and stuff downstairs. 

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:54 AM »

And there’s the Moonshine General Store in Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
A new one - The Burkes Garden General Store and Matties Place restaurant in VA. 
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »
Interesting discussion, I might need to add these places on my GPS, because most of them are not the kind of place I'd consider stopping for much of anything. I know, I'm not adventurous enough ;)  If I need food, or a bathroom, or gas I'm looking for places that are certain to have these things, not a small general store that might not even be open.

Here's one from my neck of the woods, haven't stopped there in some years, but I do recall they had some candy bars in their refrigerated cases, which is something I've been known to do (frozen/cold chocolate is tasty).
Westchester General Store (on OH258 west of Freeport)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »
You have been missing out Steve.  These old country places that sell everything from fishing rods to furnace filters are the most fun.  Years ago I stopped and sat on the front porch of what I thought was an abandoned building in Norman Station, IN.  After a few minutes an old man emerged from a nearby house and asked me if I would like him to open the store.  His name was Horace George and the old building was his George Grocery.  He sold me a coke and a stale pecan pie.  We talked for about a half an hour.  He showed me some old tools that had been hand made by a bkacksmith. He asked if I would like to buy his store.  I stopped there again a year later and he once more asked if I would like to buy the place.  The place us gone now.

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 07:47:07 AM »
Country stores are the best places to stop IMO.  I’ve had some great conversations with owners and with locals/regulars at these places, not to mention some great eats. 

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »
You have been missing out Steve.  These old country places that sell everything from fishing rods to furnace filters are the most fun.  Years ago I stopped and sat on the front porch of what I thought was an abandoned building in Norman Station, IN.  After a few minutes an old man emerged from a nearby house and asked me if I would like him to open the store.  His name was Horace George and the old building was his George Grocery.  He sold me a coke and a stale pecan pie.  We talked for about a half an hour.  He showed me some old tools that had been hand made by a bkacksmith. He asked if I would like to buy his store.  I stopped there again a year later and he once more asked if I would like to buy the place.  The place us gone now.

Yes I know, but like I said without knowing they have the needed services they get passed over. Heck some of these places don't even look open for business when going by at 30MPH, let alone higher speeds. Once I know about places I do tend to go back. I think it was the town of West Union WV I was leading a group ride, it was nearing lunch time as we rolled into town. And I thought "this place seems familiar, there's a nice diner in town, pulled up FOOD listings in GPs and sure enough it was there. (I often add places to my GPS POI if not already there so I can find them again.)

I've had some great conversations with locals in these out of the way places too, people are usually very friendly to us travelers. The gas station in Grantsville WV (on 16) is somewhere I've stopped many times and keep wondering when it will finally be out of business for good.
Steve Grabowski

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »
 A Great place that I have been to several times through the years is Aunt Millie's Pizza, Subs & Suds in Milton, NC.  It is only a few miles outside the gate of VIR in Virginia. The town is on the NC/VA border.  So close to the VIR Track that you can hear the sounds.
Aunt Millie was still there the last time we were there after STAR 2019.
They do serve other items, along with conversation to the everyone, including outsiders.
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 02:14:41 PM »
You guys will enjoy Harper's General Store and Front Porch Restaurant at Senaca Rocks, WV about 20 miles from STAR! -JEP-
http://harpersoldcountrystore.com/contact.html

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
You guys will enjoy Harper's General Store and Front Porch Restaurant at Seneca Rocks, WV about 20 miles from STAR! -JEP-

I forgot that one.  I stop there every time I'm in the area.  The Front Porch restaurant upstairs has a balcony from which you can watch the climbers on the Rocks.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 02:32:29 PM »
You guys will enjoy Harper's General Store and Front Porch Restaurant at Seneca Rocks, WV about 20 miles from STAR! -JEP-

I forgot that one.  I stop there every time I'm in the area.  The Front Porch restaurant upstairs has a balcony from which you can watch the climbers on the Rocks.
I've been there, passed thru the area many times and while at the visitor center one year we decided to have lunch at the Front Porch. I do expect to be in the area on the way to or during STAR this year and will try to stop in again.

See I can change and adapt, I just need a little nudging (and some good suggestions).

Ha ha, I was just looking at the place in Google maps, and the street view shows a group of motorcycles going by.
Steve Grabowski