Author Topic: ST1100 question  (Read 24060 times)

Offline Iguana Joe

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860K plus
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW R1200RT
Re: ST1100 question
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »
Catfish,

I realize that the thread has been going on here for a while, but as you know I got my first ST ( an 05 1300) almost a year ago. In less that a month I had issues with my Michelins that came on the bike. the rear cupped and virtually delaminated on a 2 up trip to Copperhead Lodge. That one got replaced and I put a new michelin on at the time.

Before STAR this year I had a new set of T-30 GT Bridgestones put on ( upon the recommendation of Andray) I have put 2500 plus miles on this set of tires, 2300 of it 2 up with luggage in 90 plus degree heat in AR, TN and NC during STAR. Slight flat spotting due  to the 400 mile plus days on the interstate. Like Andray I LIKE these tires. Very confidence inspiring from day 1 just like the Metzeler Z8 interacts I run on the Sprint ST. With them and the Ohlins shock I am very happy with handling and no real discernable wear so far. I will let you know.

Iggy Joe
Iggy Joe
AMA lifer
MSTA 5409 (lifer) NC State Director, EC State Director Liaison
IBA, PGR, former COG, etc.

Never try to teach a pig to whistle, it will frustrate you and annoy the pig.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: ST1100 question
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
Catfish,

I realize that the thread has been going on here for a while, but as you know I got my first ST ( an 05 1300) almost a year ago. In less that a month I had issues with my Michelins that came on the bike. the rear cupped and virtually delaminated on a 2 up trip to Copperhead Lodge. That one got replaced and I put a new michelin on at the time.

Before STAR this year I had a new set of T-30 GT Bridgestones put on ( upon the recommendation of Andray) I have put 2500 plus miles on this set of tires, 2300 of it 2 up with luggage in 90 plus degree heat in AR, TN and NC during STAR. Slight flat spotting due  to the 400 mile plus days on the interstate. Like Andray I LIKE these tires. Very confidence inspiring from day 1 just like the Metzeler Z8 interacts I run on the Sprint ST. With them and the Ohlins shock I am very happy with handling and no real discernable wear so far. I will let you know.

Iggy Joe

Iggy,

From what I can discern from Andray, the bloom is off the rose. As much as he likes the handling characteristic of the T-30s, they didn't give him the wear he wanted. I hope I have that correct.
I think I posted earlier that I had gotten a set of Avon Storm 3Ds. I got ~10,000 miles out of the front and rear each, and I'm happy enough that I went ahead and ordered another set when I was only half way through those miles on the first set. Since mounting the first set, I've ridden the ST around town for a month or two, on a 1,200 mile Tennessee SS1K, a 3,200 mile round trip to Maine in May, and a nearly 4,500 mile round trip to California the week after STAR with the front being mounted about a month before the rear (the front has a little over 10k while the rear has a little less than 10k).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:08:49 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.