Author Topic: Fall Colors 2021  (Read 3499 times)

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Fall Colors 2021
« on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:38 AM »
I had a month of very little riding during September, so I decided to do something about it. I woke up a bit early yesterday, took care of personal stuff, and headed for the bike for a ride up to Lewisburg, WV. I knew it was too early in the weekend to see many people, but I figured I might get to say hello to Syd at the Fall Colors Ride 2021 before turning around and coming back home. It would have been nice to stay the weekend and get some fun miles in, but I have an MSF rider ed class this weekend and limited time.
I pulled out of my driveway around 8:00 and headed for the nearest big road. Interstates aren't my favorite choice of roads, but for a 600+ mile day and wanting to be back home before dark, it was the best option. I had just over 12 hours of daylight, so it was time to boogie.
After a couple of fuel stops, food, and 5 hours, I pulled into the motel in Lewisburg. Syd wasn't around, so I gave him a call. He was down town doing what we do second best after riding...eating lunch with friends. I rode down, had a nice chat with Syd and a few other folks, and then headed back home.
Ok...so not the most exciting day I've ever had. But it still felt good to get some miles under my belt. It pushed my total for the month over 1k and my total for the year over 18k. I certainly hope to get more curvy miles in during October, but I have rider ed classes scheduled for 4 out of the 5 weekends. Hmmm...Texas Hill Country is on my open weekend. Making plans...
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Falcofred

• MSTA Member
  • Any excuse to ride
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250 GS HP
Re: Fall Colors 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »
I just got home from Fall Colors 2021 and had a great time, got in some great rides with great people. I'd like to thank Ron Vess and Norm Kern for allowing me to tag along with them on Friday and Saturday. I'd like to thank Syd Mayes for organizing the event, the Thursday night dinner, and of course for the great weather.

John Friedrichs aka Falcofred
2020 BMW R1250 GS
2018 Husqvarna 701SM
2005 Suzuki DR650, the Mighty DR

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
No Tickets or crashes and perfect weather with only about 15 miles of adventure gravel mixed in over 2 days of riding.  If you missed it put it on the calendar for next year!
Versys 1000 LT
Versys 300X
1975 Trail 90

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 01:29:34 PM »
What a great 4 day weekend that was, 1200 miles of mostly fun roads with just enough slab mixed in to keep the days from being too long. The 350+ mile trip to the rally and back from NE Ohio are good long days, mixed in with some 250 or so mile rides at the event. Good company, visiting with friends new and old etc. We had a bit of rain on the way home yesterday, but barely enough to warrant any rain gear, and never really got wet. Plus it was warm enough that a bit of rain didn't bother us.

My brother is on his way back to Michigan after some pizza and football last night at my place. (GO BROWNS!) He messaged me earlier that he hit some rain, stopped to put gear on, and then it poured.

Had to be the best weather in years, it was foggy and a bit cool in the mornings, but nothing like the years I recall leaving for home in sub 40 temps, or waking up to snow at Snowshoe Inn.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Phlip

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
My 1st MSTA event and I really enjoyed it! Nice people. Great roads, well, maybe except for that one that had square or rectangular patches over other square patches. I don't have a clue where that was at. I just followed Brick and the gang or more accurately, I followed their vapor trail.

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 03:41:10 PM »
What they said Syd...Perfect weather, a good time!

Steve
Steve

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 01:59:58 AM »
My 1st MSTA event and I really enjoyed it! Nice people. Great roads, well, maybe except for that one that had square or rectangular patches over other square patches. I don't have a clue where that was at. I just followed Brick and the gang or more accurately, I followed their vapor trail.
Our local riding group, The Carolina Old Farts Sport Touring Association had 6 who wanted to attend this year’s Fall Colors. Four of us rode out Thursday 9/30 riding a curvaceous route arriving about 4:30 PM. The other two rode up on Friday.
The weather was great the roads were great and seeing all the old and new friends was f..ing awesome!
Phil was one of our group up from Western North Carolina.
On Sunday’s ride home we got some rain but we all really enjoyed the event!
Thanks Syd!

Brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
Thanks again to Syd for coordinating this event. I believe it was my 5th time there, and loved it just like all the rest. Great roads and exceptional weather ruled the weekend. And really liked the "new" nearby dinner spot Habaneros Mexican Grill. Walking distance just like TGI Friday's - and in my opinion better (but I'm a displaced Californian of 30 years, so I'm a bit partial to Mexican cuisine.) This year's FCR was a fitting ending for my 2021 riding season - on the trip my bike alerted me that it was due for it's 6,000 mile service. This is something I usually get alerted to the following year because it's 6k or annual. I got the bike serviced and new tires before going to STAR - and now I'm due for service again, and my tires are shot. Been a great year of riding.

CORRECTION: While going through my paperwork last night, I notice the close by restaurant we usually go to is not TGI Friday's, but rather Ruby Tuesday. Didn't change anything about the trip though. Had 1,628 total miles for my trip (MI to OH to WV, then repeat in reverse order.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:21:18 AM by RichGrab »
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »
Hello Folks! I'm very appreciative of all the kind comments, but most appreciative that everyone seemed to really have a good time!That's basically my main goal in coordinating this event for the last 13 to 14 years!. I am sorry to be so long in posting here,but I've been working harder than an old dude should to get my rental properties vacant , spruce them up, and get them sold. The real estate market is the best in my lifetime, and I'm just plain tired of dealing in rental property!!! After I finish this post, I'll be going to a house that I just received a call about, where there's evidently a leak in the ceiling from one of the water lines. I don't mean to b&m, just letting you know where I'm coming from. I've spoken to Chris Shoop, who will be running a Canaan Valley event next year, and he's interested in taking over Fall Colors. If this comes to pass, I will be working with him as long as he wants me. I owe him an apology, as well as the Starreview folks, for whom I'm supposed to write an article about Fall Colors. I will try to catch up on my homework with Chris, as well as the article. If any of you have pictures from this years event, I'd appreciate your sending me some. Please make plans to come back to Fall Colors in '22, and I'll pray for the same weather!! Thank you again, Syd
Touringman

Offline doug mcpeek

• MSTA Member
  • Half-fast Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: N + 1
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FJ-09
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
Best of luck, Syd!  Thank you for all you've done right back to your rescue of the event by finding a new venue on short notice.  I'm still grateful for that.  Well done and I hope to see you again soon.
Ohio MSTA State Director
"It's bad luck to be superstitious!"
Riding makes me happy.

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
Syd, good luck with the purging of rental properties.
Thanks for all the work you put into the rally. I'm sure Jo will miss you!
Hope to see you around in the future.

Steve
Steve

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
Three cheers for Syd, still one of my favorite events. And thanks to Chris for stepping in to take over.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »
If you took photos at the 2021 Fall Colors event please go to

https://msta.smugmug.com/upload/ZK6qLF/2021FCR

where you can upload your photos so all can enjoy

The photos from the 2021 Fall Colors event can be viewed at

https://msta.smugmug.com/RegionalEvents-2/FALL-COLORS-RIDE/2021-Fall-Colors-Ride/

Currently there are no photos there so lets get some uploaded
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:47:46 AM by dpippin »
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 12:05:16 AM »
Thank you Doug!