Author Topic: Eighth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - Hutchinson, KS - 04/25/15  (Read 7459 times)

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
Eighth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - Hutchinson, KS - 04/25/15
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:23:44 AM »
 Eighth Annual Roy’s BBQ RTE
Hutchinson, Kansas – Saturday, April 25, 2015

Again this year, we'll have the Roy's BBQ RTE two weeks after the Moonshine Lunch Run and the Austin MotoGP.  (Cholesterol levels should have returned to normal by that time.)

As usual, it's 11:00 AM for lunch at Roy’s BBQ (1018 Nickerson Blvd., Hutchinson - also known as Fifth Avenue,) with optional tire kicking and BS prior to lunch.  It makes for an early start for those riding in the same day, but it lets us beat the crowd.  (Late comers get what the early birds didn't eat, and Roy's closes when the meat’s gone.)

Right after lunch we’ll make the short ride east to Yoder for pie at the Carriage Crossing.  There’s reserved motorcycle parking on the south side of the restaurant, and plenty of overflow on the north side with the Amish buggies.

After the pie, the Kansas Cosmosphere is worth a visit for those who've not been before. They have American rockets, German V1 and V2s, American and Soviet space capsules, and an SR71 Blackbird and a T-38 hanging in the lobby.  The Kansas Motorcycle Museum, in Marquette, is a short ride north.  You can see everything in the museum in an hour or less: old board racers, flat trackers, and a lot of the machines we owned or lusted after in our younger days (and still do, if the truth be told.)  There's also an underground salt mine museum in Hutchinson, if you have a desire to be 600+ feet underground with only one way out...

I'll be receiving visitors in my garage in Wichita for those heading south or east after dessert.  We try to keep a varied supply of beverages in the garage fridge, and some decent cigars in the humidor.  (Actually it's a Pelican box with a humidifier tube, but it doesn't show grease as badly as a nice cedar box would...)

We typically have riders from five or six states.  The rider traveling the farthest gets a free lunch and pie, and will have his or her name engraved on the “Mixon Cup” (named for Chris Mixon, who took long distance honors the first year.) The Mixon Cup is displayed year-round at Roy’s.  Previous winners came from Arizona (twice,) California, Illinois (twice,)  Louisiana, and Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:25:48 AM by roginoz »
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

Swanee53

Re: Eighth Annual Roy's BBQ RTE - Hutchinson, KS - 04/25/15
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »
I will do my best to make the trip. I just realized that Patty and I have dinner scheduled with friends in downtown Kansas City the night of the 25th, which was scheduled over a month ago (they have busier schedules than Patty and I).

Safe travels to Austin !