Author Topic: Help! can't get STAR routes to load  (Read 14253 times)

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Help! can't get STAR routes to load
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Can someone please help me?  I'm trying to open up the STAR routes download.  My computer (Toshiba laptop) keeps sending me to Adobe reader, whenever I try to open the download.  A note then comes up that it cant open it because its not supported.  All I want to do is load the routes on MY Garmin Zumo 660LM, or at the very least PRINT them out.

I must admit that I find this all completely confusing and frustrating.

Anyone have some SIMPLE (for someone that didn't grow up with computers or GPS and doesn't work with them) instructions?

THANKS in advance!

Pat M
not all that wander are lost

JohnboyNC

Re: Help! can't get STAR routes to load
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »
The download file is a compressed file in 'zip' format. IE - the download file has to uncompressed or unzipped first. I'm a Mac guy, but step one is to unzip the file. See if you can download a free program that unzips files. Hope this helps?

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
Okay Pat lets see if I can help you.
The file that I attached for GPX is a zipped file so that is what should be downloaded.
When you click on that if you are running XP, 7 or 8 it should bring up a Windows Explorer with all the files listed.
Look up to the top and there is an extract feature.

You can extract these to your desktop or directly to the MicroSD card on your Garmin - assuming you have one inserted there.
If you want to open them to look at them you need to either have MapSource or Basecamp loaded on your PC.

What I did in Basecamp was to create a File - New - List Folder - named it STAR 2015
Click on that and then under File again you should get the option to Import into STAR 2015 (or name of folder)
Find where you extracted the files and then you can import them all by doing a <CTRl> A and selecting them all.
This will then import them into Basecamp.
From there you can recaculate and/or check them if you are running something other than City Nav 2015.4.
Once you are ready to import them you again make sure you are on the folder for STAR 2015 and go to Device - Send To - Send STAR 2015 to...

If you are still having problems I can email you the uncompressed files.

Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Not sure exactly what I did, but I seem to have the routes in my basecamp files now.  Next step will be to send them to the GPS, which I know how to do.

;D

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
Pat,

It's all done with smoke 'n mirrors!

Tosh

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »
Ok another question. I have both Mapsource and Basecamp on my PC. When I clock on a .gpx file to open it, I get a message that windows can't open that file. If I click on a .gdb, there is no problem.

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »
Open Basecamp and import the files.

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
Assuming your using a Microsoft system
Go into control panel
Click on default programs
Click on Associate a file type with a program
scroll to .gpx
associate it with basecamp

You may also be able to right click on the .gpx file and open with Basecamp.exe
You can usually find Basecamp.exe in Program files or Program files (x86) if you're running 64 bit
Then Garmin
Then Basecamp and you should see Basecamp.exe

Ok another question. I have both Mapsource and Basecamp on my PC. When I clock on a .gpx file to open it, I get a message that windows can't open that file. If I click on a .gdb, there is no problem.
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
Go into control panel
scroll to .gpx

You can usually find Basecamp.exe in Program files or Program files (x86) if you're running 64 bit
Then Garmin

Also be aware that some programs you load could replace or even remove that association, and may not ask or tell you they're doing that. I loaded the Tyre to Travel software a while back then noticed it created the association for .GPX to their program. Not sure if it asked me or maybe created it since it didn't exist (may not have loaded a Garmin GPS product there that created the association.

Most programs have a File Open operation, or you may be able to drag and drop the file from a folder into the program to open it that way. Associations are just a shortcut to doing that, and something us old time computer users were used to working around and fiddling with.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »
Go into control panel
scroll to .gpx

Then Garmin

Also be aware that some programs you load could replace or even remove that association, and may not ask or tell you they're doing that. I loaded the Tyre to Travel software a while back then noticed it created the association for .GPX to their program. Not sure if it asked me or maybe created it since it didn't exist (may not have loaded a Garmin GPS product there that created the association.

Most programs have a File Open operation, or you may be able to drag and drop the file from a folder into the program to open it that way. Associations are just a shortcut to doing that, and something us old time computer users were used to working around and fiddling with.
Not that it matters....since I figured out how to do what I wanted to do, but.....

Steve...I didn't understand one word you wrote there...LOL.....it's like you're speaking a foreign language.  :)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Ok, I tried Doug's method mentioned above. I get as far as associate gpx with Basecamp. When I try to do that and browse programs to associate it to, it does not show Garmin, which has my Basecamp program, as an available program.

Offline 96viffer

• MSTA Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
Have you tried opening BaseCamp, then doing an import of the gpx files into your library? File menu -> Import into... (Ctrl-I)

Choon

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
..here's what I did

I downloaded the routes onto my computer.  I then hooked up my GPS to the computer and opened up basecamp on the computer.  When I did that, in the upper left hand corner of my screen is the option FILE. I clicked on that and got the option to IMPORT.  When I did that it shows in my DOWNLOADS, all of the STAR routes.  I clicked on each route individually,  then clicked on the OPEN button in the lower right of the section showing the routes. WhenI did that, they appeared in Basecamp, one by one.

I then clicked on DEVICE....clicked on SEND TO DEVICE....and sent the routes I wanted to my GPS.

I'm sure there are a lot of technical terms I left out, but since I don't know what any of them mean, I can only tell you what I did using the words I know.  :)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Thanks, Pat and Choon. Once I got the routes into My Garmin in My Documents I was able to import them.

Interesting that we show 5 lunch ride routes and 4 lunch return routes. Is that so we can look at them and decide which one we want to take to The Hub and back?

I still would like to be able to associate gpx with Basecamp. If I get an email with a gdb attachment, I can just click on it and it will open in Mapsource. If I get one with a gpx, I have to first save it to My Garmin and then import it.

Thanks to all the help. Fortunately I have my Butler Motorcycle Map for the Ozarks and know most of the roads in that area and am not too bad at laying out a route in Basecamp on my laptop and then downloading to my 660.

See ya in a couple of weeks. (or less)

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 08:38:29 PM »
Yeah got a bit carried away as there are SO MANY good roads going to and from the Hub.  I even have a route 4 with lunch at Cliffhouse for another day so if they plan on doing that they might pick different roads for the Hub lunch ride.

Yes I was hoping folks would pick one out and another one back to get a taste of all the roads.
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com