Author Topic: Bags & liners for BMW F800 GT  (Read 19012 times)

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
Re: Bags & liners for BMW F800 GT
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »
Sorry about the form of the text, not sure what happened.
If you can't read it let know and I will redo it.
Steve

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
Sorry about the form of the text, not sure what happened.
If you can't read it let know and I will redo it.
Yes Steve, info in prior post is gibberish. No links. Yes, summer is probably not best time to search, but I just got the bike and am working to fully outfit it.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
Not sure if I posted this before but http://www.rka-luggage.com/ makes great bag liners too. I'm still using a set from an ST-1100 in my Tenere'!

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »

www.ibmwr.org

bmwmoa.org

bmwra.org
Sorry about the text, don't have a clue why it wants to be green.Any how, these will get you started, they all have garage areas for things wanted, to sell, and to buy.Good luck![/color][/font][/font][/color]
Steve

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Thanks again Steve.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »
Not sure if I posted this before but http://www.rka-luggage.com/ makes great bag liners too. I'm still using a set from an ST-1100 in my Tenere'!

Thanks Brick. I've been to their site, but have also had another member PM about a set they have (from an older BMW) and I've seen many others which would likely work for anywhere from $35-60. So, I'm still waiting for the big bargain on the actual cases.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
You might think that manufacturers would make bags that would be more universally applicable, but it doesn't seem to be the case (no pun intended). I suppose every bike has slightly differing space available to make the bags bigger and more tidy looking without making them gosh-awful big.

BMW used to make bags that would fit most anything they made with a few exceptions for models like the R80G/S and R80ST (which used the same bags but different from everything else). It's a shame, but they seem to have gotten in line with everyone else and make bags that fit only 1 model. rather than a universal bag with different mounting hardware.

I suppose you've checked out Givi. I don't know if they do brackets for an F800GT. When all else fails, you could sell the VFR to buy the BMW bags.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
You might think that manufacturers would make bags that would be more universally applicable, but it doesn't seem to be the case (no pun intended). I suppose every bike has slightly differing space available to make the bags bigger and more tidy looking without making them gosh-awful big.

BMW used to make bags that would fit most anything they made with a few exceptions for models like the R80G/S and R80ST (which used the same bags but different from everything else). It's a shame, but they seem to have gotten in line with everyone else and make bags that fit only 1 model. rather than a universal bag with different mounting hardware.

I suppose you've checked out Givi. I don't know if they do brackets for an F800GT. When all else fails, you could sell the VFR to buy the BMW bags.
Yes Geoffrey I read on another BMW forum (didn't bookmark it darn it) that several other models used the same bags. I just have to figure it out again. I haven't looked at GIVI really, main thing being the bike came with the BMW mounts. I'm no wrencher, so don't know about taking them off, installing others and then trying to sell. Did see some soft ones from SW-Mototech (or whatever there name is) that looked cool, and about half the price.

Now, as for selling the VFR - why I outta wash your mouth out with soap. Don't let Little Red hear you talking like that. But seriously, that bike has been so good to me, and still has less than 25K on the odometer (and it's going on 16 years old), I just couldn't sell it. Love the sound of the engine and pipe way too much.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 07:25:47 PM »
I've seen BMW GS1100 type bikes with very similar brackets for the bags. Something to consider would be getting together with some other BMW riders that have bags, and check if their model fits.

As for selling the VFR how dare you even suggest that, he'd be full darkside BMW guy then ;)  Next thing he'll be suggesting we camp at events :)

Besides I know he loves that bike, as I do mine. And it seems that many I talk to who owned a VFR (pre VTEC) and sold it wish they hadn't. I took mine for a ride after 10 days on the Sprint and I loved the sound and the way it stirred my soul.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 08:20:40 PM »

Yes Geoffrey I read on another BMW forum (didn't bookmark it darn it) that several other models used the same bags. I just have to figure it out again. I haven't looked at GIVI really, main thing being the bike came with the BMW mounts. I'm no wrencher, so don't know about taking them off, installing others and then trying to sell. Did see some soft ones from SW-Mototech (or whatever there name is) that looked cool, and about half the price.

Now, as for selling the VFR - why I outta wash your mouth out with soap. Don't let Little Red hear you talking like that. But seriously, that bike has been so good to me, and still has less than 25K on the odometer (and it's going on 16 years old), I just couldn't sell it. Love the sound of the engine and pipe way too much.
I have an '86 VFR (the first year Honda used that designation) that I still enjoy riding. As a matter of fact, I just put a new battery in it and will be taking it out for a nice ride tomorrow. I hope you know I was being facetious when I said something about you selling your VFR. The fact that I've had this '86 VFR for more than 10 years (now with ~68k miles) should tell you how much I like it.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »

I have an '86 VFR (the first year Honda used that designation) that I still enjoy riding. As a matter of fact, I just put a new battery in it and will be taking it out for a nice ride tomorrow. I hope you know I was being facetious when I said something about you selling your VFR. The fact that I've had this '86 VFR for more than 10 years (now with ~68k miles) should tell you how much I like it.
Yes, I had a feeling you might be joshing me on that. And I didn't know you had an '86 model - hope you enjoy the ride. Maybe someone can organize a JFF event and we can call it the VFR ride in. All years of VFR invited. That would be cool.
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
Maybe a V4 based rally, all the various VFRs, the ST11/13, the Magna/Sabres that started the HSTA club.

Actually there is a huge VFR forum online and they have (or used to at least) some events around the contry.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »
Maybe a V4 based rally, all the various VFRs, the ST11/13, the Magna/Sabres that started the HSTA club.

Actually there is a huge VFR forum online and they have (or used to at least) some events around the contry.
When I purchased an '83 V45 Sabre in '91, a buddy of mine suggested I look for a Honda related club so that I could learn more about the bike and get to know people who had them and knew where to find parts and such. I looked around and found the HSTA. I later found out the club went through one iteration as the V-4 club (ask some of the real old-timers if they still have one of the V-4 belt buckles). The Sabre went to that big junkyard in the sky, but I still have 2 V-4s...the '86 VFR700 and a '97 ST1100. Depending on your viewpoint, one of them may be turned the wrong way, but they're still V-4s.
Geoffrey Greene

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
Greetings one and all. I won the 2016 MSTA Raffle Bike at STAR in VT and am loving it. I've always lived on a shoestring budget and prices new for bags and liners are big $$$. So, if anyone knows of someone selling a set of bags or liners let me know. I read somewhere (gotta research again) that bags from some other models of BMW are interchangeable to the F800. If / when I find this information again, I'll post an update here. Bags from previous years of the same model likely to fit right on too. Thanks for any help. 8)

Rich, if you are still looking for BMW bag liners, this for sale ad for a pair of new ones just showed up on advrider.com. $180 for 2 that retail for $308.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-waterproof-bags-new.1160519/

Fred Z.

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »
Greetings one and all. I won the 2016 MSTA Raffle Bike at STAR in VT and am loving it. I've always lived on a shoestring budget and prices new for bags and liners are big $$$. So, if anyone knows of someone selling a set of bags or liners let me know. I read somewhere (gotta research again) that bags from some other models of BMW are interchangeable to the F800. If / when I find this information again, I'll post an update here. Bags from previous years of the same model likely to fit right on too. Thanks for any help. 8)

Rich, if you are still looking for BMW bag liners, this for sale ad for a pair of new ones just showed up on advrider.com. $180 for 2 that retail for $308.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-waterproof-bags-new.1160519/

Fred Z.
Thanks Fred. I'm still looking but liners are the easy part. It's finding the bags (at less than $1000) I"m having fits over.  Thanks for the tip, I'll go look. Then again, maybe not. I apparently have to be a member to view this. Maybe I'll sign up, but my bike isn't really an ADV type (IMHO).
2001 VFR800 fi